Dying Light

In all honesty, I was so let down by Dead Island I can't help but look at this in the same light. Looks impressive but in practice will be pretty boring.

Hopefully they will do a demo closer to release and I can actually play it.

I am too. tired of left 4 dead 2 and such. too much lateral and no vertical. This is surely different IMHO. I've played most of the zombie games. but this one is with a purpose, quests that have to be fulfilled, climbing buildings and using rooftops for safety. weapons break down and you have to use your resources to repair them. skills points can be used to buy actual skills that you will need during the course of the game, collect items for barter to get what you need, cigarettes, alcohol for wounds, ability skills and weapon proficencies are earned. There seems to be a storyline, you join a survivor group and try to beat them to antigen drops to stave off turning into a zombie. instead of a blind zombie hackfest, you have to remain quiet and use stealth or attract unwanted attention. don't venture out at night if you can help it, special infected creatures roam at night until dawn. big storyline. nothing like I have never seen before.

I suck badly and have died alot thus far but it is in no way boring. if you have played other zombie games, this will make you think and use your resources carefully.

hit me up on steam. I'm "Demented"

• Like 1

am i suppose to die so much...  i feel no reward for taking a side quest, since it usually ends up in my being dead, and 1000 point survivor bonus lost..    feck, i lost 3000, trying 3 times, a mission close to tower to recover something, and i got to kill 10+ runners....  

maybe i try the side missions too early?  i am 5 hours in, and 15% of the story.  (i like to take on side quests)

Are you not buying better weapons and using your upgrades on them and stuff?  (And don't forget thrown weapons which can be really handy if you've got too much to deal with out in the open)

Personally my game glitched and I fell through the map :(  I haven't gone back since, but will tonight.

yeah, the issue with dying dissapered when my level went up and i upgraded my health.

however, my graphics when from easily 30+ fps to like 5 fps everytime i move fast,  after killing a troll.   did not came back to normal, so i had to quit.  i hope they go back to normal after i run it again.

also, TONS of other glitches and bugs. tis truely a bad port.  for shame, since the game itself is fun. 

i am going straight for the main mission though, i don't want to be distracted for hours with stupid delivery side quests anymore. ( i always say that, then get suckered in some quest as i run by something though...)

yep. after quitting and restarting the game runs better again.    but i am getting tons of completely random slowdowns (as someone else mentioned in hardware forum, it is most likely due to changing FOV from default to max - but i am not going back unless it will be unplayable... i love my FOV set to high)

The mod that lets you tweak certain settings helped me a ton - for starters you can disable the god awful motion blur. I hate motion blur with a passion.

mod? what mod is that?   and why (god damn) i am hearing about it when i am 80% finished with the story :/:laugh:

I have been playing Dying Light on the PS4 since it was released, so I have not really come across any of the technical issues I have seen reports about with the PC version. Yes, I am playing it at lower graphical settings as a result of the decision to play it on the console, but it still looks pretty good and I have never once felt the framerate was hampering my enjoyment of the game.

With that little disclaimer out of the way which will hopefully mean no one will take the time to point out I am playing the inferior console version, it has pretty much become one of my favorite zombie related games ever made, and over the years there have been some damn good ones to potentially take that crown. I just feel like they have truly created a tense environment overall. I am still not comfortable at night, and although I hear that changes the more you level up, since I am not using any walkthroughs, etc., and just discovering everything on my own, right now I still feel very underpowered in certain situations, which just really adds to the tension.

The parkour element, while nowhere near as amazing as the first reveal trailer they showed 3 years ago, is still very well done and the whole premise behind the fact that you really want to avoid just walking around on the ground also just brings a whole other layer of depth that is not really found in any other games nowadays, especially FPS's. I saw this reddit thread that said the title of the game should be "The Floor Is Lava," which really does a pretty good job of summarizing the fact one always wants to keep moving and stay high if possible.

KFmsm15.png

Just truly surprised by how much I am enjoying this game as I was pretty convinced I was not going to enjoy it for whatever reason.

I have seen plenty of people saying they do not like it, so I do believe this is either a game people will really like or really dislike. Not going to be many people in between. 

• Like 2

Just truly surprised by how much I am enjoying this game as I was pretty convinced I was not going to enjoy it for whatever reason.

I have seen plenty of people saying they do not like it, so I do believe this is either a game people will really like or really dislike. Not going to be many people in between. 

i dislike most zombie games, and i enjoy this one.     parkour get better the higher your level, and then you also get a tool to help you, so it gets even better.

the night also gets easier, once you have good powered upgraded weapon, and have more health. i still try to go all stealth if i can... 

but at least it's not instant death, and i can actually escape from a few of night creatures or possibly ever kill then

bosses are quite fun too.  

i though i was going to get bored of it, like i did of dead island, within first 1-2 hours, but i have being playing 12 hours, and i am enjoying it much more.  

I have been playing Dying Light on the PS4 since it was released, so I have not really come across any of the technical issues I have seen reports about with the PC version. Yes, I am playing it at lower graphical settings as a result of the decision to play it on the console, but it still looks pretty good and I have never once felt the framerate was hampering my enjoyment of the game.

With that little disclaimer out of the way which will hopefully mean no one will take the time to point out I am playing the inferior console version, it has pretty much become one of my favorite zombie related games ever made, and over the years there have been some damn good ones to potentially take that crown. I just feel like they have truly created a tense environment overall. I am still not comfortable at night, and although I hear that changes the more you level up, since I am not using any walkthroughs, etc., and just discovering everything on my own, right now I still feel very underpowered in certain situations, which just really adds to the tension.

The parkour element, while nowhere near as amazing as the first reveal trailer they showed 3 years ago, is still very well done and the whole premise behind the fact that you really want to avoid just walking around on the ground also just brings a whole other layer of depth that is not really found in any other games nowadays, especially FPS's. I saw this reddit thread that said the title of the game should be "The Floor Is Lava," which really does a pretty good job of summarizing the fact one always wants to keep moving and stay high if possible.

KFmsm15.png

I'm still having too much fun playing Destiny on the PS4 to really get into Dying Light.

However, I bought the PC version for

I am inlove with this game. I didn't care much for the Dead Island series, but this one has me sucked in.

I especially love the behavior and balance of the zombies. No other game seems to get this right, but Dying Light got it nearly perfect.

Really enjoying playing it.

• Like 1

This game is as bonkers as it can get. We spent 7 hours last night going full retard and having a blast. We barely got any quests done, were just doing silly things throughout the city.

• 3 weeks later...
Just beat the Campaign. I also did a few side quests. Spent roughly 28 hours total (27 hours 47 minutes to be exact). I have not put that type of time into a game in a consecutive stretch like I did with this game in awhile. I took a short break from it to play The Order 1886 (and yes, it was a short one LOL), but then came right back to Dying Light.

Really the most fun I have had with a game in quite some time. It just hit all of the right notes for me.

So damn surprised by how much I did enjoy it, and I am no doubt going to attempt to do all of the side quests as well, something I have not done in years and years.
Just a very fun game overall. The parkour/traversal really is so good, even in a first person view.

I tried all of the Dead Island games, and they never hooked me in. They were just incredibly clunky.
So my hats off to Techland.
They did not give up on their overall vision of things, stuck to the whole open world zombie game, and really took the mistakes from their past games and figured out a way to truly make it work.

Perhaps my favorite overall game in the past year give or take when all is said and done.
Easily the game I have gotten the most bang for my buck in a very long time. No doubt about it.
  • Like 2