Lost a Friend Yesterday

I am truly sorry for your loss :( He seemed like a very loyal and kind companion.

So sorry for your loss. My dog is a family member and friend as well.

I hope you find the mother###### who did this and run him over. If I ever hit someone's pet, I plan on getting out and notifying them right away and explaining the situation. Knowing what happened and how it happened would make me feel better then finding him on the road just left to die. It's inhumane and ######. You know the person who hit him knew he what happened.

Very sorry to hear this buddy. I had some people scoff at the idea of taking two days off of work when my cat died. I tell you what, animals are the best companions... they really are. I made sure after I lost my first pet to make time to spend with whatever I had from here on out, and that made the last loss a bit easier to choke down. Still, it sucks. You see happy people out in public and they are of course oblivious to your pain. Do whatever helps you. If that is time alone or time with family and friends, do that. Maybe after you start feeling better you can look at shelters or breeders for a new friend. They are not a replacement, believe me. They will not be exactly the same. They may have a few personality traits similar though and when you notice, you will smile.

I lost my first dog, and then best friend, almost 20 years ago to a guy who went off the road onto the shoulders (drunk?), over my dog. The car was gone before I could react and take his plate. I've lost several pets in my lifetime but this one was the hardest. It's something extra when a life is taken for absolutely no reason and the cowardly killer runs away.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and my sympathies to you.  :cry:

I must be blind but all I see in that picture is a gun and trees?!?

As others have noted try clicking on it.  He's in the edge of the photo because I was trying to capture him and the sunset and trees all in one photo.  I got him from the local stock yard at 4 months old and he was really skinny and infested with worms; it was obvious the guy there wasn't taking care of him, but my then 2 year old little boy fell in love with him and the guy only wanted $20 for him, so I picked him up and took him home, wormed him, fed him good, and less than a month later he had put on a healthy amount of weight (So I guess he's probably closer to 5 months in this photo) and was running around the woods with me.  This photo was taken once we got to the ridge-line when I sat down to take a break, and I was trying to capture him and the location in one shot.

I appreciate all the support everybody, I really do.  I love animals because your dog will never judge you, they'll never argue with you, they're the one thing that will love you unconditionally, and to them, you are their whole world, all they ever want is to please you.  He was killed waiting by the road to see me off to work just like he had every morning, so he was killed trying to do something nice for me and to show me that he loved me.

I'm sure that eventually I'll feel up to getting another dog.  We still have one inside dog we call "Itsy Bitsy", she's half Pomeranian and half Pekingese, and she loves me to death, but Savage was my "man dog" if there is such a thing, lol.  He loved the rest of the family and would hang out with them, but he seemed to take up with me more than anybody else.  If I was outside or going somewhere, he wanted to be right there beside me.  My wife could speak and if I was around, he wouldn't pay her a bit of attention, but if I told him to do something he seemed to understand me so well it was almost like talking to a person.  If I started my truck to let it warm up, when I came back outside he was sitting in the bed right where his leash was attached waiting on me to come strap him in.  I could be burning a little campfire in the back yard and he'd be sitting right there beside me, perfectly content to just sit there and be petted.  And to be a hound, I couldn't have asked for a better guard dog.  I've seen him tangle with a stray German Shepherd twice his size that started harassing Itsy and run it off.  If a person showed up that he didn't recognize, he wouldn't let them out of the car until I walked over and told him it was OK.  I don't think I'll ever be able to "replace" him, but maybe after some time has passed I'll feel up to looking for another companion, :-)

• Like 2

It's weird too how dogs can sense things.  Savage and my dad's dog Buster were best friends.  When I'd show up Buster and my brother's two dogs would all run alongside my truck until I turned Savage loose, then they'd all disappear into the woods together for a couple hours.  Yesterday when I went up there to bury him, even though he was wrapped in his blanket so they couldn't "see" him, they could smell death because at first they were all playful, but when I carried him over to where I was digging his grave, they stood about 50 feet back, sniffed the air, then went and checked the bed of my truck, dropped their tails, whined and went to the other side of the yard and laid down together and watched me from a distance for the half hour or so it took me to get the grave dug.  I buried him with his feet to the east and pinned some chicken wire on top of the soil to keep wild animals out until this summer when I plan on planting a small bush or fruit tree on top of him so that there can be a continuation of life from his death.

Damn I am reading this as my dog is laying next to me just looking up because I am ignoring him and typing on the computer.

Truly sorry for your loss, and it is no doubt a very hard one. Harder than some humans sometimes, as it is very unique relationship between a pet and their owner. One in which they will never truly hurt you or do anything intentionally to cause you pain or harm. Their love is unconditional, and no human, no matter how close to perfect they may be, cannot replicate the relationship.

Hang in there. Take your time with the replacement, but absolutely consider one eventually.

Very sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

So sorry for your loss. :(

So I had to bury one of my best friends yesterday. Savage my fox hound greeted me at the door on my way out to work like he does every morning at around 5:20. I petted him and spent 5 minutes or so checking all my lights and stuff and filling out paperwork before taking off. He normally follows me to the top of the driveway (500 feet or so to the top of a hill) to see me off and then runs back down to the house. He must have ran up there to wait on me because when I pulled out onto the road at 5:28 somebody had ran over him right beside our driveway. He was alive when I found him, but when I got out and laid my hand on his chest, he blinked, pulled his tail in, exhaled and died.

I wrapped him up in his blanket and buried him on Drybread where he loved to run around in the woods with me and my parents' dog Buster.

This is the first picture I ever took of him. He was 4 months old in this picture and it was also the first time I took him out into the woods with me.  Some of you guys may have seen me mention him in other posts on here, or seen him in pictures riding in the bed of my pickup truck.  It felt weird this morning not having him out there to say good morning, and it's kind of surreal seeing the blood stains in the bed of my truck from taking him to be buried.

sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are so awesome. I have a little 6lb chihuahua but he is awesome

Here's an update.

It was sooner than I wanted to, but I've come into ownership of a 1 year old solid black male Dachshund.  I think he's supposed to be a "black and tan", but he's severely lacking in the "tan" department.  If you get him under a bright white light you can sort of see some very faint brown speckling mixed in with the black.  He belonged to an elderly lady who, because of health issues, was informed she should get rid of her animals because she wasn't able to care for them.  My aunt agreed to keep him temporarily, but with a half a dozen other dogs in and around the house, wasn't in a position to feed another one, or give a Dachshund the attention it needs because apparently they are VERY needy in regards to attention.  She asked me and I agreed to give him a good home instead of relegating him to a shelter or winding up with somebody who would use him as a training aid for coon hounds or dog fighting or something, which does actually happen around here.  There is no "shelter" in this county, so if the dog catcher finds a stray and it doesn't have a name-plate on its collar, he just hauls it up onto an old strip mining job and shoots it.  They don't have temporary holding facilities or the tools necessary to even look for microchips, so if your dog gets out and doesn't have a name tag, you'd better find it before somebody just decides to call animal control.  Since I've got children and one other house dog he'll get plenty of attention, and even has a playmate.  I wasn't expecting it because when I first went to look at him he went nuts barking at me, but after we got him home he clung to me and hasn't left my side ever since.  He will go and socialize with my wife and kids, and then crawls right back in my lap.  If I get up and go to the next room, he's right behind me.  If I'm sitting here talking on the radio he either wants to be in my lap or on a pillow between my feet.  He's supposedly not house trained, but I've made it a point to take him out and walk him around outside until he uses the bathroom out there, and we've only had one accident in the 24 hours we've had him, and he did that right next to the door while we were all asleep, so at some point somebody has made an attempt to potty train him, or he's a fast learner.

I just gave him a bath and dosed him up with some flea goop (the kind that you put between their shoulders) because I rolled him over to pet him and he was covered in fleas, so I gave him a real good bath and he now appears to be flea free, for the most part anyway.  I'll give it a week and give him another bath, and in a month or so I'll re-dose him with the flea stuff just to make sure.  I also plan on picking up some de-wormer and a round of booster shots for his vaccinations because I have no idea whether or how many of his immunizations he has, so I'm gonna go pick them up for a few dollars at Tractor Supply and give him his shots, and I de-worm my dogs every 6 months or so whether they need it or not because they do spend time outside around other dogs and occasionally in the woods with me.

We've kind of settled on the name "Ace", because he's as black as an ace of spades, but we haven't settled on it 100% yet.

He's not a replacement for Savage.  I loved Savage to death.  He had a personality all his own, he loved and protected this family, and he died trying simply trying to show me that he loved and cared about me by seeing me off to work that morning.  This new addition though, while not a replacement, seems to have declared himself my new companion, regardless of what I might have wanted, :p, so I guess it's a sign that I should remember Savage (my wife is sewing an image of him into a blanket for me), but move on and form new memories with this new little guy.  He got to ride in my pickup truck for the first time today, and he's small enough he can actually ride up front with me.  He laid right up against my leg the whole time.

Wrapped up in my coat just a few minutes after I brought him home.  I took him outside to pee and being a short haired dog he got cold and crawled onto my coat when I laid it down on the couch, so I wrapped him up in it to help warm him up.

post-125978-0-51438700-1421738060.jpg

Playing with my wife and 6 month old little girl.  I was happy to see that he wasn't jealous or snappy with her, and when she grabbed his ear and squeezed (she doesn't have total control of her grip yet), he never made a sound and just laid there to give me time to get him loose.

post-125978-0-47666500-1421738062.jpg

• Like 3

So sorry to hear this :cry:

Definitely know how you feel. I'm still trying to get over the loss of my best buddy Spike, a 110 lb Rottweiler-Rhodesian ridgeback mix who was just a great dog.

Strong as a bull, brave and a natural guardian he loved rolling on the floor with the little ones.

• 4 weeks later...