Cyclist 'assaulted' by van driver sought by police

And how's that different from asking why a rape victim was wearing a short dress and/or flirting provocatively? Drivers are expected to check their mirrors and be aware of potential hazards. If the van driver hadn't seen the cyclist and had accidentally hit him then he'd have got out to check if the cyclist was okay - it was clear he deliberately drove into him and used that as an excuse to assault him. The driver of that van knew the cyclist was there, shouted abuse and then turned into him, before proceeding to assault him.

Comparing this video to a rape is completely ludicrous, and distracting from talking about the video. You can't prove your case by comparing this case to a fictional situation, which doesn't even come close to relating to this at all.

Now back to the video, I personally believe the driver was completely at fault but at 0:56 in the video it seems like the biker wanted to cut the driver off, he looked over saw the car, instead of yielding to the driver he pulled ahead and I feel cut the driver off. Now everything after that is 100% on the driver and I hope he gets charges filed against him.

• Like 2

but bikes should not be trying to do reckless driving on the road period.

Which bit of that cycling was reckless then?

Also, he's not comparing the acts (i.e. the video and rape) he's comparing types of situation, which is totally comparable.

• Like 1

Which bit of that cycling was reckless then?

Also, he's not comparing the acts (i.e. the video and rape) he's comparing types of situation, which is totally comparable.

He cut off the driver, he looked to his right saw the vehicle, had to move over slightly to right to avoid the car ahead of him(which means he moved over closer to the vehicle in question), in my opinion he should have stopped and yielded to driver next to him, but as I said EVERYTHING that happened after that is on the driver, period.

And no comparing this to a rape is not totally comparable and it brings in emotions that distract from this situation, there has to be a better comparison that he can use that isn't so extreme that it blows this out of proportion.

Yes exactly, something like that! Jousting on bicycles.

Take my money now.

He cut off the driver, he looked to his right saw the vehicle, had to move over slightly to right to avoid the car ahead of him(which means he moved over closer to the vehicle in question), in my opinion he should have stopped and yielded to driver next to him, but as I said EVERYTHING that happened after that is on the driver, period.

The driver is bound by law to give the cyclist space. There was no cutting off, just bad driving on the part of the van driver.

On the second point, we'll have to agree to disagree otherwise we'll go round in circles for ever.

• Like 1

I have just watched the video...one of them shouts something, it sounds like "get off the phone u f****r" to me but I can't quiet make it out....could the driver took offence at been told to get off the phone?

theyarecomingforyou - you are not only putting words in my mouth, but you are taking things out of context and twisting things around.

I dont know why you are doing that, I dont know why you are stuck on me blaming women for rape - I told you I dont think that way - but you still persist.

This isnt the 1st thread where you obviously have an axe to grind, condemning everyone with your holier than thou comments - but I stated why I said what I said, and you are the only one who is dwelling.

Move on.... there will be another thread pop up where you can twist things around

• Like 2

The driver is bound by law to give the cyclist space. There was no cutting off, just bad driving on the part of the van driver.

Sure but the cyclist also should have to use his brain and realize the vehicle next to him weighs slightly more then his bike and could cause him real harm. I cycle to and from work a few days out of the week and I always assume the driver next to me is an idiot and I don't try to pull ahead of a vehicle that isn't going to let me in, just let the driver pass and move on. 

• Like 1

-- snip --

Actually, watching the video back, i think the van was indicating. In which case the cyclist should not have cut him up.

So i'd say i'm now in agreement with you.

• Like 1

Actually, watching the video back, i think the van was indicating. In which case the cyclist should not have cut him up.

Uh oh - now y'all have gone and done it - theyarecomingforyou will bring his/her wrath down on you now

Sure but the cyclist also should have to use his brain and realize the vehicle next to him weighs slightly more then his bike and could cause him real harm. I cycle to and from work a few days out of the week and I always assume the driver next to me is an idiot and I don't try to pull ahead of a vehicle that isn't going to let me in, just let the driver pass and move on.

See post above.

And agreed. The only reason i'm still alive is this is how i cycle. I also have a pet hate for other cyclists as most of them cycle like absolute words you can;t use on this forum.

Uh oh - now y'all have gone and done it - theyarecomingforyou will bring his/her wrath down on you now

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. I simply don;t have enough evidence to make an opinion.

Cyclist: Looks like he shouldn't have cut the van up.

Van: Shouldn't have been on the phone (not that we actually see that)

Should never use the vehicle as a weapon (forcing cyclist to dismount)

Should never violently assault someone

• Like 1

Such a divisive topic, I'm torn -  on the one hand I don't support violence on the other hand cyclists are just such a pita.

Nothing the cyclist did could justify what the driver did to him. I think people's opinions towards us as cyclers is that a lot of retarded cyclists believe the rules of the road give them blanket immunity to do unsafe maneuvers, and if this type of stuff continues I can see momentum to getting cycling banned on the road.

Such a divisive topic, I'm torn -  on the one hand I don't support violence on the other hand cyclists are just such a pita.

Don't tarnish us all with the same brush. I stick to the rules of the road, always have always will.

It's wrong to attack people, but got to say cyclists ###### me off some time too.  Driving to work through Wash. D.C. daily, and many cyclists think they own the street.  Cut in and out in front of you anytime they want to.  I almost hit some like in that case.  I already got close as much as I can to the side walk and turn on signal for right turn.  Some idiots still ignored the signal and tried to sneak in on the right.

And no comparing this to a rape is not totally comparable and it brings in emotions that distract from this situation, there has to be a better comparison that he can use that isn't so extreme that it blows this out of proportion.

Point of this incident proves at the very least driving without due care and attention, and road rage, another rule stated in the highway code, multiple times, and in bold lettering, 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre', if the van driver was indeed waiting to turn left, and had bothered to check his mirrors, he would have seen there was a cyclist parallel to his vehicle, and it wasn't safe for him to try and execute his turn, therefore would only have had to wait a few seconds for the cyclist to have gotten clear of his vehicle. The cyclist attempted to some degree, escape by pulling away from the van, which brings up another point, the van would now have to perform a safe overtake, and he didn't. As a professional driver, I would get extremely heavily penalised for such an action, so as far as I'm concerned, the guy in the safer vehicle bullied a more vulnerable road user, and should get punished by whatever the law deems suitable.

That may be so, but had he followed his basic training, he would have only lost 5 or so seconds while waiting for the cyclist to get clear of his vehicle

So many people opposed to violence - am I just some sociopath ?

Am I the only person in here who got in fights in school ?

Everyone in here from France ?

No, just 'punching out' someone in the UK leads to a criminal record and depending on the offense and type of job one has, leads to getting fired and in extreme cases, becoming unemployable

Lets face it, in any civilised society, and I do mean ANY, there are ways of resolving an altercation without resorting to violence, it should be the last port of call, not the first

• Like 1

Cyclists are an outright menace to anyone and everyone else on the road no matter what country.  I don't even have to watch the video to know that the cyclist is an asshat and deserved everything that happened to him.  Case closed.

No, just 'punching out' someone in the UK leads to a criminal record and depending on the offense and type of job one has, leads to getting fired and in extreme cases, becoming unemployable

Lets face it, in any civilised society, and I do mean ANY, there are ways of resolving an altercation without resorting to violence, it should be the last port of call, not the first

Oh I agree with you.  I was young when I was doing that.  I dont think that way anymore. 

But when I was young and still in school - I was trying to be tough like my older brother (who is 2x my size) - I thought that was how I would get to be close to him and my father.

And well, you do dumb things when you're a kid.

• Like 1

Cyclists are an outright menace to anyone and everyone else on the road no matter what country.  I don't even have to watch the video to know that the cyclist is an asshat and deserved everything that happened to him.  Case closed.

Wow - tell us how you really feel

So, what happened to you where you feel like this ?  Do you drive a lot in the city ?  Does your job require you to drive all day ?

Just wondering what would have happened to make you feel so strongly.  It seems like this must be an ongoing problem for you.

Dont just make a statement like that and say "case closed" - tell us why you think that way.

>

This is another of those cultural differences. In many areas of the US "mutual comat" is tolerated. Even if there is no specific mutual combat law prosecutors will hesitate to charge in a fight where combatants committed simple battery on each other. Maybe a disturbing the peace charge.

This is another of those cultural differences. In many areas of the US "mutual comat" is tolerated. Even if there is no specific mutual combat law prosecutors will hesitate to charge in a fight where combatants committed simple battery on each other.

It used to be the case here also, There was a time where a police officer would look the other way for a couple of minutes to let 2 guys 'resolve' a dispute, but in this day and age where it's no longer settled with bare fists, but rather with some sort of 'weapon' (aggravated assault, ABH, GBH etc,) The law doesn't take that chance anymore

simple breakdown

- van wasn't indicating, was a brake light

- cyclist goes to overtake

- keeps checking to make sure safe

- notices van driver on phone

- shouts get off your phone you MUPPET

- Van driver forces cyclist off bike

- van driver attacks cyclist

• Like 1

simple breakdown

- van wasn't indicating, was a brake light - (Y)

- cyclist goes to overtake - (Y)

- keeps checking to make sure safe - (Y)

- notices van driver on phone - (Y)

- shouts "get off your phone you MUPPET" - (Y)

- Van driver forces cyclist off bike - (Y)

- van driver attacks cyclist - (Y)

Essex Police confirm a man has voluntarily attended Chelmsford police station to give an account of the incident. The matter is now in the hands of the Metropolitan Police

The van was decked out in Taylor Landscaping livery, who have subsequently been suspended by online directory TrustATrader pending a police investigation.