Cyclist 'assaulted' by van driver sought by police

One of the great things about motorists in the UK (and I am one of them) is their ignorance of the law. I often hear that they pay "Road Tax" so the road is theirs and others should not be in their way. However Road Tax was abolished in 1937, driver pay Vehicle Excise Duty which like other taxes goes into a global pot. So cyclists, pedestrians, horses and even women with buggies have the same rights to the road. Maybe when us car drivers realise that we'll have fewer d***heads on the road.

• Like 2

One of the great things about motorists in the UK (and I am one of them) is their ignorance of the law. I often hear that they pay "Road Tax" so the road is theirs and others should not be in their way. However Road Tax was abolished in 1937, driver pay Vehicle Excise Duty which like other taxes goes into a global pot. So cyclists, pedestrians, horses and even women with buggies have the same rights to the road. Maybe when us car drivers realise that we'll have fewer dickheads on the road.

To add to this - if you drive (or indeed even walk) around Central London, I come across more cyclists who don't seem to care about the law than drivers. England has one of the best reputations in the world for the quality of our divers - try driving in Italy!

In Central London, we are in dire need of registration for cyclists, so that they can be held accountable. Wanna cycle on the road? No problem - pay a nominal fee of

Well said Brian, unfortunately those that speak for cyclists in Australia and im willing to be the UK are against such moves for a variety of non sense reasons.  They seem incapable of meeting half way and just want to put it all on the evil motorists to accommodate everything without offering any practical solutions to the obvious frustrations on both sides. 

To add to this - if you drive (or indeed even walk) around Central London, I come across more cyclists who don't seem to care about the law than drivers. England has one of the best reputations in the world for the quality of our divers - try driving in Italy!

In Central London, we are in dire need of registration for cyclists, so that they can be held accountable. Wanna cycle on the road? No problem - pay a nominal fee of

Ok point taken but what about pedestrians than cross the road when the lights for them are red ? Are we going to stick number plates on them as well and ban them from walking if they get 12 points. 

Yes it is his job to uphold the law, it's all our jobs - that's what a society is for. You would hopefully do something if you saw somebody robbing a house or beating up a woman so why are lesser crimes (which in this case could have more catastrophic consequences) ignored.

I know in some countries it's illegal - however in the UK I don't believe jaywalking is actually illegal. Unless it's a motorway, or there's a "no pedestrians" signs, I believe pedestrians are legally free to cross wherever they like. It isn't a legal requirement to stop at an unmarked crossing if there is pedestrian waiting to cross, but if they're already in the road, then the motorist needs to stop for them - whether the lights are green or red.

And for the crime, if it was a violent crime I would help (if somebody was in immediate danger) or call the police. The crime in question is more comparable to somebody throwing litter out of a car window (this could quite easily cause a cyclist to crash), and rather than calling 111 with the location and reg number, I rid up next to him, shout "oi you muppet" and ride off. It wouldn't be appropriate to say that to somebody on the street, so why is it appropriate just because somebody is in a car.

simple breakdown

- van wasn't indicating, was a brake light

- cyclist goes to overtake

- keeps checking to make sure safe

- notices van driver on phone

- shouts get off your phone you MUPPET

- Van driver forces cyclist off bike

- van driver attacks cyclist

You see this is how i thought at first, then i decided it was an indicator, but if it isn't then i'm changing my mind back again :p

You see this is how i thought at first, then i decided it was an indicator, but if it isn't then i'm changing my mind back again :p

100% brake light. He was slowing for the dust cart turning left in front of him.

• Like 1

100% brake light. He was slowing for the dust cart turning left in front of him.

In that case, i'm totally back on the side of the cyclist then.

...The crime in question is more comparable to somebody throwing litter out of a car window (this could quite easily cause a cyclist to crash) ....

In 2009 in the U.S. there was a reported 5,474 people killed by distracted drivers. Of those 995 were considered to be killed by drivers distracted by cell phones. Try telling the 995 parents of those people it's only comparable to throwing litter out of the car window.

This reminds me of a jogger I cut off a couple weeks ago leaving work.

Not only was he wearing dark clothes in the night (sun was down and there were no street lights illuminating the area, but he kept running towards my car, made a dramatic stop, went around it, and then hit it with his hand.

Then proceeded to scream at me when I attempted to apologize and explain that I couldn't see him.  I drove off shaking my head at the moron.

Of course, common sense dictates that:

I don't have headlights on the side of my car to have any sort of distance for seeing dark objects.  I couldn't even see him until he was quite literally at my side window.

You don't act like an idiot and jog at night in dark clothes and nothing that illuminates you and assume ANYONE can see you in an unlighted area.

If you feel the need to be the above idiot, at least pay attention to your surroundings and realize limitations of others to see you in such situations and better yet, adjust to your surroundings.

People are stupid; it is a global epidemic.  I see wrongs on both the van driver and cyclist's part.

1.  Don't yell at a driver and expect them not to respond.

2.  Don't talk on a cell phone while driving unless its hands-free.

3.  Realize that trying to justify your right on a bicycle to a car will end up in your getting hurt more often than not.  That'll show them!

4.  Don't be an idiot and succumb to road rage.

They have now traced the cyclist and he's not pressing charges. The incident happened back in December, he did actually speak with the Police after it had happened where he also said he didn't want to press charges.

The video was uploaded again by someone else on Thursday.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30869791

In 2009 in the U.S. there was a reported 5,474 people killed by distracted drivers. Of those 995 were considered to be killed by drivers distracted by cell phones. Try telling the 995 parents of those people it's only comparable to throwing litter out of the car window.

We're going off topic here - road accidents are caused my many things - and "dangerous driving" and "death by dangerous driving" are two different things. I'm not condoning what he did - I'm just saying that you shouldn't go around provoking people. Yes, if we lived in a perfect world people wouldn't clash, but if you went up to somebody in a bar who was doing something you didn't like and said "oi muppet, what you doing?" you'd probably get a smack in the mouth. This is only being blown out of proportion because it involves a cyclist.

We're going off topic here - road accidents are caused my many things - and "dangerous driving" and "death by dangerous driving" are two different things. I'm not condoning what he did - I'm just saying that you shouldn't go around provoking people. Yes, if we lived in a perfect world people wouldn't clash, but if you went up to somebody in a bar who was doing something you didn't like and said "oi muppet, what you doing?" you'd probably get a smack in the mouth. This is only being blown out of proportion because it involves a cyclist.

No we are not going off topic, this guy was on the phone while driving which in the UK is a criminal offence and in the US in 2009 995 people dies because somebody was driving and killed somebody while using their phone and it was determined the phone usage was the major cause of the accident. I cannot think that this is more on topic. Using your phone while driving can kill people.

Forget the cyclist and replace it with another motorist and it would still be just as bad. You might like being punched in the face but surprisingly a lot of people don't.

No we are not going off topic, this guy was on the phone while driving which in the UK is a criminal offence and in the US in 2009 995 people dies because somebody was driving and killed somebody while using their phone and it was determined the phone usage was the major cause of the accident. I cannot think that this is more on topic. Using your phone while driving can kill people.

Forget the cyclist and replace it with another motorist and it would still be just as bad. You might like being punched in the face but surprisingly a lot of people don't.

And in the UK, the number of deaths was 17 (in 2012). I don't like it, but like I said, we don't live in a perfect world. This entire incident could have been avoided - the cyclist could have just made a note of the reg number and reported the incident (which is what any responsible driver should do).

Both parties could have handled it better.