Report: Radioshack May File For Bankruptcy Next Month

link

strapped for cash.

Struggling electronics retailer RadioShack may file for bankruptcy as early as next month, according to The Wall Street Journal.

RadioShack had warned in November that it may need to file for Chapter 11 as it is strapped for cash.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the Journal reports RadioShack is discussing a deal with a private-equity firm to "buy its assets out of bankruptcy." If that doesn't work, the company could go to bankruptcy court, instead. Potential lenders who could fund operations during the bankruptcy proceedings are also in the mix, the Journal states, adding that much is in flux.

In November, the company reported it only had enough money to pay for operations in the very near term. The Fort Worth, Texas company has been struggling to keep up with online retailers for some time. The 94-year-old chain has been combatting the competition by revamping its offerings, closing stores, cutting costs and changing management. Despite the attempt to claw its way back up, the retailer has posted losses for the past 11 quarters.

Earlier this week, Marketwatch reported that Salus Capital offered RadioShack a $500 million loan to fund operations during bankruptcy. The offer was unsolicited and expires Thursday.

link

strapped for cash.

Struggling crap electronics retailer RadioShack may file for bankruptcy as early as next month, according to The Wall Street Journal.

corrected for you

They used to be a neat place to shop way back in the 70's and 80's, got me a lot of electronic components/tools/etc and such back in the day, fun hobbyist store, never mind their own computers. But yea, turned into a crap store.

• Like 1

Kramer: They're trying to screw with your head.

Jerry: Now why would a middle school wanna screw with my head?

Kramer: Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number when you buy batteries?  I don't know!

Back in the day when Radio Shack actually had tech innovations...

Anyway, this is hardly a surprise. I thought they would have gone under by now. They are still one of the easiest places to find obscure electronic parts, but everything is horribly overpriced, and the market for home electronics is pretty dried up. The last ham club meeting I went to was all about software, not rigging antennas.

They used to be a neat place to shop way back in the 70's and 80's, got me a lot of electronic components/tools/etc and such back in the day, fun hobbyist store, never mind their own computers. But yea, turned into a crap store.

Yeah they used to be good no doubt about it. But they have been pretty much iirrelevant for the past 10-15 years or so.

It doesn't help when they try to push cell phones on you the moment you walk through the door. I'm honestly glad they're finally being put down. I've heard horror stories from people who work(ed) at RadioShack.

It doesn't help when they try to push cell phones on you the moment you walk through the door. I'm honestly glad they're finally being put down. I've heard horror stories from people who work(ed) at RadioShack.

Why would you be happy another company goes out of business? this is NOT a person who has done anything to you, it going belly up means: less jobs, yeah people who could be for example your brother/sister etc finding themselves suddenly jobless, to top it up this is also bad for the economy, it means less competition etc etc etc. I understand one could  have bad feelings about a company and the experience you had there, but it's just silly to be glad about a company with a 100 year history going out of business, up to this day I still feel sorry Circuit City went out of business.

• Like 2

Why would you be happy another company goes out of business? this is NOT a person who has done anything to you, it going belly up means: less jobs, yeah people who could be for example your brother/sister etc finding themselves suddenly jobless, to top it up this is also bad for the economy, it means less competition etc etc etc. I understand one could  have bad feelings about a company and the experience you had there, but it's just silly to be glad about a company with a 100 year history going out of business, up to this day I still feel sorry Circuit City went out of business.

Extinction of one leads to flourishing of another.

As for competition who was RS competing with? I cant think of a single shop here in southern cali that sells the things they do @ that high of a price,  so you cant really say (at least here in so-cali) that RS was really competing with anyone. Local hobby shops ALWAYS had the same gear (maybe better) for lower prices.

Why would you be happy another company goes out of business?

I'm usually not, but in this case I'll make an exception. Considering the people working there I've had to deal with in the past were clueless, rude and generally negative towards customers, I'd say they reap what they sow. So yeah, good riddance.

Radioshack has been dead for many years, how they still manage to keep their stores open is beyond me, I walked into a radio shack once when my wife had to go next door in the mall.

So I went in to see what Radioshack still had left of it's former self, I used to visit and get electronic parts for projects I did in my teens, there were 3 sales reps in the store and just myself as the only customer I looked

around at what they had left for electronic parts not much, I didn't even bother looking at cell phones or the TV's. Felt very uncomfortable being watched like I was going to steal something, so I just left without buying anything

I once interviewed for a job as a manager trainee, but the interview went sideways as the guy interviewing me, answered his phone and then he started yelling at the person on the other end. I then got up and walked out and never returned.

Radioshack has been dead for many years, how they still manage to keep their stores open is beyond me, I walked into a radio shack once when my wife had to go next door in the mall.

So I went in to see what Radioshack still had left of it's former self, I used to visit and get electronic parts for projects I did in my teens, there were 3 sales reps in the store and just myself as the only customer I looked

around at what they had left for electronic parts not much, I didn't even bother looking at cell phones or the TV's. Felt very uncomfortable being watched like I was going to steal something, so I just left without buying anything

I once interviewed for a job as a manager trainee, but the interview went sideways as the guy interviewing me, answered his phone and then he started yelling at the person on the other end. I then got up and walked out and never returned.

Service Merchandise is still around but the retail stores are closed elsewhere... the one is still running in TN and/or FL which I read the article other day.

I am surprised that Kroger (grocery store) is still running so long... It has been around since late 1800's. 

I am sure some businesses can be passed on to next generation as long as they are up to run the business. If not, they can close/sell the business to someone else.

Some businesses can be closed down because of not enough money to keep the business afloat.  Or the owner can close it down because of bad reviews, or can not handle too much stress...

I am sure there are more reasons to close the businesses down.  No one can not run that long unless they are smart on how to keep it running that long.

I have a Sears catalog from 1900's from my grandmother who passed away a few years ago that she kept this catalog so long...  I checked to see what they looked like in the past before I was born...  Wow.. they were so cheap those days.

>

I am surprised that Kroger (grocery store) is still running so long... It has been around since late 1800's.

>

Kroger is going strong here. Kroger, the Meijer hypermarket and Wal-Mart are the top 3 grocers. After that its year round indoor vegetable markets and small independent marketss.

As to RS - they have a lot of stores in malls, and the malls are dying. That and most of their stock is toys, phones, overpriced or sparce in terms of electronic parts. But then kits are not what they used to be and you can buy components cheaper online.

^ hahah @ Chucky is on back of the car.

Kroger is going strong here. Kroger, the Meijer hypermarket and Wal-Mart are the top 3 grocers. After that its year round indoor vegetable markets and small independent marketss.

As to RS - they have a lot of stores in malls, and the malls are dying. That and most of their stock is toys, phones, overpriced or sparce in terms of electronic parts. But then kits are not what they used to be and you can buy components cheaper online.

Kroger is strong here too.

I like RadioShack in 1980's before they went downhill.