Many games can be completed in shorter amounts of time if you just "run through them", the essence of a speedrun. If that's how you play your games though I really doubt atmospheric based story games are really what you're after. You'd be better buying something based solely around gameplay/repetition of gameplay. Members of GAF who have copies cite 10-15 hours for completion.

While I have my doubts about this game pre-release it really is getting an awfully strange amount of hype surrounding it being a disaster - People almost wishing for it to suck which strikes me as strange in a world where new IP is desperately needed. If it sucks we'll find out shortly through reviews, if it's good same applies, but it's bewildering to see people almost hoping a TPS based around a serious story will flop (serious as in nothing inherently offensive like crude humour or distasteful subjects - unless you're part of a #thinkofthelycangate movement.).

Lastly, as for the MP argument, sure it's not there, but this is a big stepup from PSP games for the studio. I seriously doubt they'd be able to cram in a decent MP offering this time without taking away from the SP, or avoiding having a MP no one will play in large numbers. ND are well established and even they didn't get MP into their first Uncharted. Pretty sure Uncharted took me around the 10~12 hour mark.

We shall see when it launches won't we.

The hate for this game is staggering.

You can already see the whole game in the link and he also said that even with collectables\etc it tops out at 7 or so hours.

You can already see the whole game in the link.

Speed run doesn't really count.

Many people are saying it's around the 10 hour mark so the odd Twitter post saying it's less doesn't mean jack.

Speed run doesn't really count.

Many people are saying it's around the 10 hour mark so the odd Twitter post saying it's less doesn't mean jack.

How is it a speed run? It was his first play through, with all the cutscenes..

Okay, you didn't even bother to read or click the link I posted...

How is it a speed run? It was his first play through, with all the cutscenes..

Okay, you didn't even bother to read or click the link I posted...

It might not be a speed run but still many games can be complete in less than 10 hours if you run thru them on the easiest difficulty settings. At which difficulty setting the guy is playing?

It looks like a good game to be honest from the video. But it looks definitely too easy. Is it because people play it on the easiest or normal difficulty settings? Who knows but people doing videos often play on easy or normal to not die too much. But if the game has a hard difficulty setting (dunno f it has) that is lot harder that what we saw in the videos then it will take more time to complete the game.

There's many game i can complete in 6-7 hours on easy or normal but then it takes me over 20 hours on hard or some other crazy settings cause i die and need to take my time to avoid dying more.

I've seen it already and others that claim the same thing yet far more I've seen state the complete opposite.

What? that does not make sense. You can't deny its around 5-6 hour game. Now people are using the excuse of speed run, when it's in fact his first play through of the whole game.

If you watch his playthrough, its obvious he wasn't trying to speed through the game and just by watching the chapters there's alot of qte and cutscenes.

Untitled_1.jpg

It might not be a speed run but still many games can be complete in less than 10 hours if you run thru them on the easiest difficulty settings. At which difficulty setting the guy is playing?

It looks like a good game to be honest from the video. But it looks definitely too easy. Is it because people play it on the easiest or normal difficulty settings? Who knows but people doing videos often play on easy or normal to not die too much. But if the game has a hard difficulty setting (dunno f it has) that is lot harder that what we saw in the videos then it will take more time to complete the game.

There's many game i can complete in 6-7 hours on easy or normal but then it takes me over 20 hours on hard or some other crazy settings cause i die and need to take my time to avoid dying more.

He doesn't say what difficutly settings his playing at(if there is even one). The problem with that 5-6 hour is the non skippable cutscenes and QTE.

I can't deny? Why? You can't prove it is either.

Until the general public have it in their hands nobody can say anything. The media and gaming press can not be trusted.

I can't deny? Why? You can't prove it is either.

Until the general public have it in their hands nobody can say anything. The media and gaming press can not be trusted.

WOW..... I can't prove it? YOU CAN WATCH THE WHOLE GAME IN THE LINK I PROVIDED. The guy had the final game in his hand.

first the speed run excuse and now I can't prove it? ....SMH

What? that does not make sense. You can't deny its around 5-6 hour game. Now people are using the excuse of speed run, when it's in fact his first play through of the whole game.

If you watch his playthrough, its obvious he wasn't trying to speed through the game and just by watch the chapters there's alot of qte and cutscenes.

Because one person completes it this quickly that somehow sets the standard that everyone's experience will be the same?

I will admit I won't watch the videos as you'd have to really not care to do so - It's a story based game, so, um, spoilers. That is still my point to you though, one person on YT completes it this quickly and you're happy to say that's a final admission of how long it will take a mass audience?

Variations in play time always exist, whether it's down to skill level, difficulty level and in the case of a story based game how much exploring and time you take to take notice of the environment. 

You are trying a little bit too hard to take one persons experience and tell everyone that is how long their playthrough will be - We already have a small, but variable range from all who have gotten their hands on the game early. As I said there are a few people on GAF who have said 10-15 hours. Why not take their experience as gospel vs the person on YT? Because you can't, we need a larger pool of statistics to draw any real conclusions.

edit: That image also contains chapter name spoilers, you might want to remove it.

Because one person completes it this quickly that somehow sets the standard that everyone's experience will be the same?

I will admit I won't watch the videos as you'd have to really not care to do so - It's a story based game, so, um, spoilers. That is still my point to you though, one person on YT completes it this quickly and you're happy to say that's a final admission of how long it will take a mass audience?

Variations in play time always exist, whether it's down to skill level, difficulty level and in the case of a story based game how much exploring and time you take to take notice of the environment. 

You are trying a little bit too hard to take one persons experience and tell everyone that is how long their playthrough will be - We already have a small, but variable range from all who have gotten their hands on the game early. As I said there are a few people on GAF who have said 10-15 hours. Why not take their experience as gospel vs the person on YT? Because you can't, we need a larger pool of statistics to draw any real conclusions.

edit: That image also contains chapter name spoilers, you might want to remove it.

He even states that even if you take your time it's 7 hours tops with collectables. Those GAF poster's are hearsay, unless they prove it otherwise.The guy playing the game seems like an average player and didn't speed through the game at all.

After skimming through all the videos. The game is full with walking to point a to point b, quick time action, cutscenes, than a few shooting action in between.

I'm not saying the game is going to suck or the story sucks(that's why i skimmed through the video to advoid the story). We will see when reviews and critics get's their hands on the game. Just don't expect alot of replay value from this game.

Moving from point a to point b, quick time action, cutscences, and shooting... you mean like 99% of all shooting games then?

Listen, as AB said above, just because this guy did it in 5 hours and then states its 7 hours tops does not mean it will take that amount of time for everybody.

We all know that Gears of War could have been done in around 5/6 hours yet that game scored highly and was considered to be one of the best in class. Now suddenly a Sony exclusive does something similar (maybe) with the time to complete, and it's bad.

It reminds me of the Driveclub reviews - slating it for not being open world like Horizon 2. Not sure what the press have against the Playstation brand but it's becoming dull, and fast.

He even states that even if you take your time it's 7 hours tops with collectables. Those GAF poster's are hearsay, unless they prove it otherwise.The guy playing the game seems like an average player and didn't speed through the game at all.

After skimming through all the videos. The game is full with walking to point a to point b, quick time action, cutscenes, than a few shooting action in between.

You're still taking the views of one person as ultimate of everyone's experience. Just because others haven't uploaded their whole playthrough on YT doesn't make them any less valid - Especially when they are posting things only someone who has played the game would know. Bit of a strange point you're making, it would mean you wouldn't even listen to someone on Neowin posting text based impressions of their own.

Maybe this YTer is your new bestie or something?  :laugh:

TLoU, the pinnacle of any TPS based story game contains a lot of walking, and maybe 1~2 hours of cutscenes? That doesn't mean anything. On a related note I seriously doubt this game will come anywhere near close to TLoU, but as a new IP from whom I've already said used to be a PSP only dev, will have it's due critical reception very shortly. And from many different people, not just one on YT. I think that is only the point we're trying to make - It's hardly reasonable to take one persons experience as indicative of everyone's. Now if the masses start obtaining an average playthrough of 5-6 hours then we can talk about this one YTers experience being representative of the game.

Moving from point a to point b, quick time action, cutscences, and shooting... you mean like 99% of all shooting games then?

Listen, as AB said above, just because this guy did it in 5 hours and then states its 7 hours tops does not mean it will take that amount of time for everybody.

We all know that Gears of War could have been done in around 5/6 hours yet that game scored highly and was considered to be one of the best in class. Now suddenly a Sony exclusive does something similar (maybe) with the time to complete, and it's bad.

It reminds me of the Driveclub reviews - slating it for not being open world like Horizon 2. Not sure what the press have against the Playstation brand but it's becoming dull, and fast.

The difference with gear is that, It had 4 player co-op\mp\horde mode\beast mode\etc. Something called replay value.

The difference with gear is that, It had 4 player co-op\mp\horde mode\beast mode\etc. Something called replay value.

I forgot you've played the order and can say it has no replay value. Thanks for your input.

I forgot you've played the order and can say it has no replay value. Thanks for your input.

It only has campaign. How many times are you  going to replay a game where you can't even skip the cutscenes just for trophies.

It only has campaign. How many times are you  going to replay a game where you can't even skip the cutscenes.

I don't know, how many times? You see, yet again, you are failing to understand that everybody is different. 

Where one experience is aimed to shine, it may falter elsewhere. I seriously doubt you're going to get many say Gears was an amazing story up there with the giants of gaming storytelling (mass opinion).

Money and effort have been funneled into making this game shine like TLoU did with story. As I said above while I doubt it will come anywhere near as close, I would expect it to surpass the writing and atmosphere of Gears of War. It's gameplay probably won't be as good, but Gears had to be setup with gameplay high on the agenda as any game with MP/co-op really has to.

And to reiterate what I've already said twice, small studio previously based with PSP only making a leap to this level. Their budget and experience aren't on the same scale as ND or Epic. Doesn't mean we can't critically examine all titles in the same way, we should, in fact especially when a game defines itself as featuring exclusively on one area (narrative). If it fails at that then the whole title goes down (no MP to redeem crap story, like say BF or COD).

Sure it's harder to spend RRP when there isn't MP tacked on, but to build a real SP franchise you have to start somewhere (like Uncharted 1 with no MP).

It only has campaign. How many times are you  going to replay a game where you can't even skip the cutscenes just for trophies.

They should be skippable for a 2nd playthrough, and that should be easy to patch in. Minor nuisance though that doesn't degrade from a title setting out to have a great story, if it does indeed have one.

I bought TLoU remastered to replay a great story (and improved graphics), not to replay for collectibles. Some people will replay a games story down the line if it was memorable. Not all of us have time to replay games just for trophies.

• Like 2