Runaway Kentucky teen couple wanted by police for 'crime spree'

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dalton-hayes-teen-in-crime-spree-abusive-family-was-motive-for-running/

Teen in crime spree: Abusive family was motive for running

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - A Kentucky teenager accused of a string of crimes across the South said in a jailhouse interview that he and his girlfriend were trying to escape her abusive family and that he wishes he had bought bus tickets instead of stealing trucks as they moved toward Florida.

Officials say Dalton Hayes, 18, and girlfriend Cheyenne Phillips, 13, began their run from the law and their families earlier this month when they vanished from their small hometown of Leitchfield, Kentucky.

Hayes told The News Herald of Panama City that they just wanted to escape Phillips' family, who were beating her, and planned to make it to Miami.

"All I had to do was tell her to go home and none of this would've happened, but it's hard to tell someone getting beat on to go home," Hayes said. "But, if I could go back, I'd be paying for bus rides instead of stealing trucks."

The abuse allegations are "something we'll talk about when they get back to Kentucky," Grayson County Sheriff Norman Chaffins told The Associated Press. He said he was unaware of any previous accusations of abuse.

Shawn Phillips, Cheyenne Phillips' father, said Tuesday that claims his daughter was abused at home are "completely bogus."

>