The first smartphone: what ecosystem chose?

Hi!

I want to buy a smartphone for my girlfriend, actually she never had a smartphone, and we are evaluating the best ecosystem.

I suggest Windows Phone, but she tell me that actually the app that she desire (some medical app) are only on Android and iOS.

Actually we don't have a precise amount of budget, but she want a good product.

What do you suggest?

For me... a good choice is the Lumia 930.

All 3 ecosystems have their strengths and weaknesses, Windows and Androids have some really good low budget phones available

I cannot say for apple as I just don't know, but following the above logic, I don't see why they wouldn't

Personal recommendation would be the Moto G for

The most important requirement:

- Very high quality photo.

- A stable system

- A very long lasting devices

For that i'm not suggesting Android... I think that the big problem of this platform is fragmentation.

- A stable system

For that i'm not suggesting Android... I think that the big problem of this platform is fragmentation.

That actually suggest iOS apps.  Having used both I still think iOS Apps in general are still better then their Android counterparts.  The camera on the Iphone is among best in the industry,  Battery good iphone but not long lasting. 

I decent Android phone or an Apple device if you want to waste the extra money, basically you don't want to get this wrong if you're making the decision or your GF will blame you always!

I personally have an LG G3 and think it is awesome but that maybe a little big for your GF.

I have been using Androids for years and on my older devices 2-3 years old, just because they won't run the latest and greatest Android update doesn't make the phone useless over night, my GF is currently using my old Samsung S3 on Kitkat firmware and she is very happy with it.

You can't future proof anything even an Apple phone and both Apple and Android have a far better selection of Apps including the 1 your GF wants to use.

Just ask her if she wants an Iphone or a high end Android phone, ask her what her friends use too, then she can make an informed decision?

• Like 1

All the apps i have run on all my Android devices run the same in my experience.

1 question you need to ask her is what size phone she wants and remember not to just take the screen size into account you need to include the bezel too as this can make a noticeable difference.

Once she decides the maximum size phone she wants to fit in her pocket you will have it narrowed down a little, then you can look for some reviews.

A lot of people choose based on their other eco systems, aka does she run windows or os x on her main computer.

Personally I would go the route of Apple, while more expensive its the safest bet. I've been on Windows Phone for a few years now, all the apps I want are there, but at the same time, they are not updated as often. Android has gotten a lot better, but its a lot more popular amongst the techie community due to the customization ability. Fragmentation of the OS updates is the biggest issue. 

Apple also has one of the easier tech supports with the apple store. 

My parents went Android for their first just 6-8 months ago, both were cheap sub $100 phone, and both are still running Android 2.3 which is way way outdated 

But every android have lack of firmware support?

She need a phone but in future a tablet.

Do you even have any idea what you're talking about?

Get a Lumia because it has a great camera and will be getting Windows 10.

A camera does not a phone make!

Get a Lumia because it has a great camera and will be getting Windows 10.

She can't get a Windows phone as mentioned in the first post as there is an App she wants that is only available on Android and IOS.

- A stable system

I would recommend an iPhone. However, for all the bottom two reasons you listed, an Android phone will work just as well. The iPhone camera tends to be superior in the smartphone world - it's very quick to launch & take pictures. The iPhone also tends to get software updates longer in its lifetime compared to Android devices. If there is any concerns of app availability (and it sounds like she needs specific apps), don't even bother with Windows Phone. 

first she needs to know the size of the phone she is comfortable with.

then, you cannot go wrong with iphones or any of the top of the line android phones from LG, Sony, Samsung, Motorola.     It depends on the size.   

Sony Experia Z3 and Z3 compact are brilliant phone with very good cameras and waterproof too.  both are top of the line, just compact is a bit smaller.

So my suggestion is to get her Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - not too big (4'6" - perfect for a lady), great looking, waterproofed stylish phone with very good camera.

1404177608_sony-xperia-z2-021.jpg

Sony also makes Z3 Tablet compact (8") that will be a good match for when she wants a tablet.

or just get iPhone 6 and later get one of the iPads - if money is not an issue.

She can't get a Windows phone as mentioned in the first post as there is an App she wants that is only available on Android and IOS.

he does not care to read.  he just feels the need to advertise lumia phones

I have come to the conclusion use what makes the end user happy,  I was really digging on my lumia until it had a gambit on problems that MS didn't seem to want to acknowledge.  I have the old droid x but Google doesn't like to support their older devices, then the Iphone 4s which even after it looking like it went through a mine field still functions like the day I got it.  I also want to point out that the carrier and the service you get is just as important... along with cost.

he does not care to read.  he just feels the need to advertise lumia phones

Nice personal attack, but I just wouldn't suggest an Android. They are not good phones.

The OP never said what specific app is needed. There could be an alternative available on WP.

That doesn't help the OP though if a Lumia doesn't have the App she needs. ;)

I think OP has already made up his mind, long before he posted, just wants someone to tell him the device he's thinking of getting is the best.
  • Like 1

I have asked to her what prefer.

Size: maximum 5 inch

OS: no problem with Android, iOS and Windows Phone (can be used without problem because I discovered that the app that her need exist!)

Photo section: she have very high requirement

Music section: she love music and she want a very high solution

Thanks!

but I just wouldn't suggest an Android. They are not good phones.

I would disagree, I'm ok with people not liking android, to each their own, but My moto g and z1compact are tough, the sony has been put through hell but outside of some scratches on it's back and sides, it's still fully functional, (the screen toughness impressed me as it's still undamaged)

Why not let her try out WP, iOS and Android. If she can't really tell a difference, then get her the device that's cheapest. If she prefers iOS and you can afford an iPhone, then get that.