Windows 8.1 Changing Default Install Directory.

So I googled how to change the default install directory because a lot of programs now don't let you choose where they are installed and as I have an SSD and a HDD for programs I want them all installed on the SSD. So in the registry I changed it to D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86) and it worked but then as I tried to open up photo viewer it tried to open it up from the D drive when it was on the  C drive. So any idea how to fix it?

Yes, undo everything you read via google and post back here when it's fixed with the application that you can't change the install path for.

So I googled how to change the default install directory because a lot of programs now don't let you choose where they are installed and as I have an SSD and a HDD for programs I want them all installed on the SSD. So in the registry I changed it to D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86) and it worked but then as I tried to open up photo viewer it tried to open it up from the D drive when it was on the  C drive. So any idea how to fix it?

That's not really true IMO.  Over 90% still let you choose your folder.  That aside, changing your program files directory is a bad idea since some programs are expecting C:\Program... regardless of the settings in windows.  Its just OCD it will be ok.

Yes, undo everything you read via google and post back here when it's fixed with the application that you can't change the install path for.

What I was saying is I got it to work by changing it BUT alot of the default windows programs stopped working because it tried to find the default windows photo viewer and stuff on the D drive when they are not there.

So put them there?

I don't think it is a good idea to start moving where the default windows programs are located.

If you move the programs to the HDD, you somehow defeat the purpose of a SSD which is fast access. I would do that only in very exceptional cases and only for very big programs (e.g. some games can be very large). Else keep all programs on the SSD - as long as they fit or get a bigger SSD.