Ice Related Car Accident

First and foremost, I'm glad everyone is alright! Driving in the ice can be scary as hell at times!

I also depressed the brakes fully and hoped that ABS could help me regain enough traction to at least stop.

This is mistake number 1 people make when it comes to driving on ice/snow. Even the most sophisticated ABS systems really cannot stop you on ice, especially when you're already slipping. You want to steer into the turn, and drop down to as lower gear as possible - you need the engine braking to slow you down, but at no point do you want the wheels to stop - even momentarily.

I'm glad the insurance company sorted it out so quickly!

Glad you and everyone else in the car made it out without injuries. Gotta say though, if you drive in sub-zero celcius weather at all, winter tires are not optional. As someone else said here in Quebec it's actually illegal to drive without winter tires in winter, because it's so dangerous. Don't rely on any so-called "all-season" tires. Just keep an extra set of wheels so you don't need to actually change the tires, just change the wheels it's much easier - and much cheaper if you get it done at a garage.

I was very puzzled seeing these road catastrophes on the news, our roads were covered with ice for like 2 weeks in December and while there were more incidents than usual, there was nothing quite on the scale of what happened in Philadephia. I think the big difference must be that people don't use winter tires there.