Windows 10 and Office 365

Hi -

Has anyone managed to successfully install Office 365 onto Windows 10?

I have a laptop which is a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 11 (i3-380UM, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) on which I have Windows 10 64-bit (build 9879) running.

This weekend, despite several attempts I couldn't get Office 365 to install (I get it free from my employer), whether this was the 32 bit or the 64 bit edition, without the installer complaining - it installed the software but then none of the applications would run.

Thanks -

I log into the portal, select the edition to download which brings down a click-to-run installer application.

It goes through the splash screen 'getting things ready'.  Immediately I get a 'Background installation ran into a problem', complaining about network connectivity, but it is still downloading (the percentage indicator is going up on the system tray notification).

post-11693-0-83154200-1421781711.png

After installation gets to 100%, the 'Background installation ran into a problem' window is still there, and the only way to get rid of it is to hit 'Close' button.  This seems to have the same effect whether installation is at 2%, 50% or 100%.

post-11693-0-84740200-1421781713.png

post-11693-0-78269000-1421781712.png

The applications are there on the start menu, but when I try to run one (Microsoft Office Word for example), I get an error saying 'Something went wrong', offering repair suggestions which don't seem to do anything either.

post-11693-0-53134200-1421781714.png

I don't know what else to try (short of a clean WIndows 10 installation).  Any ideas?

I don't know what else to try (short of a clean WIndows 10 installation).  Any ideas?

The new win10 build is due tomorrow(/today)...I don't think you need to troubleshoot unless it still doesn't work there.

I had no issues what so ever installing and running Office 365 Home Premium Subscription on my computer with windows 10 B 9879 64bit system, 16gb ddr3 wireless network connection .  I wonder, has your employer paid up there subscription fees or there  volume license has maybe elaspsed, need to be renewed. Are you registered as the user of the software?  I would call Microsoft.  Have your work tech team look into it.

Brad

The new win10 build is due tomorrow(/today)...I don't think you need to troubleshoot unless it still doesn't work there.

I know. I just wanted to know if it was an known issue with a known work around or something unique to me. It appears to be the latter.

I had no issues what so ever installing and running Office 365 Home Premium Subscription on my computer with windows 10 B 9879 64bit system, 16gb ddr3 wireless network connection . I wonder, has your employer paid up there subscription fees or there volume license has maybe elaspsed, need to be renewed. Are you registered as the user of the software? I would call Microsoft. Have your work tech team look into it.

Brad

I really don't think this is the case. I have only had the subscription for a few months and successful installed (and activated) Office on both a new desktop and a new Mac in the last week. The portal says I have 3 devices left. I had never used my subscription before this.

I wouldn't think Microsoft would support pre-release software. My work tech support certainly won't.

I've had this issue a couple of times, run this fixit https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554BB8-AA94-43C7-A685-408DD9868C0B?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US restart and try installing again. Hope it helps :)

Worked for me in a VM earlier last week.

I've had this issue a couple of times, run this fixit https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554BB8-AA94-43C7-A685-408DD9868C0B?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US restart and try installing again. Hope it helps :)

Tried this. No luck whatsoever. Does the same every time.

Worked for me in a VM earlier last week.

Couldn't find any reports that suggested that this is a common issue. I'll do a clean install of the consumer preview when it becomes available and see if I have the same issue.

The new build of Windows 10 won't be here until next week.

Tried this. No luck whatsoever. Does the same every time.

Couldn't find any reports that suggested that this is a common issue. I'll do a clean install of the consumer preview when it becomes available and see if I have the same issue.

I have a feeling it might be language related. I switched mine over to en-GB and removed the en-US layout option (which seems to have come back after running the MS fixit). A lot of RSAT packs also had this issue with Windows 8.0.

The Office 365 installer is en-US by default also.

Not to change the subject but, I heard something office during todays webcast. is here a new office in the works? MSFT always seems to coincide new office builds with new OS builds.

Not to change the subject but, I heard something office during todays webcast. is here a new office in the works? MSFT always seems to coincide new office builds with new OS builds.

The articles about Office are on front page on Neowin.

I have a feeling it might be language related. I switched mine over to en-GB and removed the en-US layout option (which seems to have come back after running the MS fixit). A lot of RSAT packs also had this issue with Windows 8.0.

The Office 365 installer is en-US by default also.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean the language pack of Windows?

Just upgraded to build 9926 and Office is now working perfectly.  It never worked on the previous build.

Can't explain it but very happy!