Windows Remote Desktop APP and VMWARE combination

Scenario.  I am trying to do hostapplications on Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop APP server.

My goal is to use Remote App to serve up the applications to the end users.  I want to segment the installations. Each user has a license for their software that will be served up to them.  This is by design, their data will have to be segmented.

Example

User 1 Has quickbooks 2015  License number 88999787

User 2 has Quickbooks 2015  Licensed Number 8877335 (Fake btw)

Im thinking do I need VMware Remote Workstation or do I used Windows workstation?  The key is that its seamless, I want their apps to load not the whole OS to load.  

Another company I know does this, of course its intellectual data so they wont tell me how they do this, but they are using some kind of product from VMWARE to isolate the users software while still serving it up on Remote Desktop APP.

Are you serving it from the same "server"?  We do this for certain applications but we purchase special "Terminal Services" licensing for this software to allow it to be used this way.

Yes I am. Terminal Services would allow this.  Im thinking I need to utilize Vmware ThinApp.  However im not familiar enough to know if it will do exactly what I want.

Sounds like you need to virtualize the app so to give each user their own 'experience' (i.e. their own entered license key) - App-V, ThinApp etc., take your pick.  

Assuming the app doesn't license itself per Windows user-profile?   A license key is likely to get encrypted in the registry (assuming that's were its stored) so logon/logoff registry manipulation is not likely to help here.

Microsoft has a similar product; it used RD Web Access and it does what you want.  It allows them to run whatever app you configure.

Yeah I think ThinApp is the way to go.  RDWEB doesnt do Applications isolation.  So I cant install two copies of the same piece of software and use independent license keys.

Why don't you just install it locally on their PC?

You'll end up having to build 2 servers, installing a copy of Quickbooks on each, and then serve up the app via whatever solution you decide.

I'm not sure I fully follow what you are trying to achieve, but if I think I understand, what about Xitrix XenApp?

You can install with a VMware/Hyper V backend with Xen App delivering the actual application itself. You can instruct Citrix to give each user its own virtual HDD, meaning that each "application" is essentially their own but not installed locally.

I'm probably way off what you want, but this sounds as close as my brain gets me :)

We do Remote Apps via terminal services and never managed to get the same app with different licences unless they were, like Chrome, installed into the users profile. Will be interested to see how you get on with VMware Apps - was looking at trying it this year.