OneDrive vs Google Drive: Better solution?

What is your favorite cloud service?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite cloud service?

• DropBox
    • Google Drive
    • iCloud
    • OneDrive
    • Other (Specify)

I use them all.

Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, iCloud, and even Mega. 

DropBox is my fav personally. But I use them all, find it a great way to sort out different things. Large Files go to Mega. My most accessed files go to Dropbox (along with anything I need after formatting.. Dropbox is one of the first apps I install.) iCloud has my Mac Stuff. You get the idea.

The lack of openness and interoperability in this space is just plain depressing.

I want to use Office, Google Apps, GMail, Outlook, Office Web Apps, and my Mac - and only have one amount of Cloud Storage to manage.

I want to use Office, Google Apps, GMail, Outlook, Office Web Apps, and my Mac - and only have one amount of Cloud Storage to manage.

But that's not how it works is it?  I want to store my stuff in BigYellowStorage, StudentStore and U-Store, I'd have to manage 3 different plans and storage facilities?

Not to be a douche, just intrigued by the comment

The lack of openness and interoperability in this space is just plain depressing.

There are services, free and paid, that do that,. but you give up security for convenience, instead 6 different services and passwords, now there's one with access to all, not a good idea these days 

Hi!

I need some suggestion about the cloud, what is the better solution?

- OneDrive: 15 GB

- Google Drive: 15 Gb

I see that OneDrive is more slowly and download of the file is more slow (max 500 kb/sec) vs Google Drive where the upload is more fast and the download use the maximum bandwidth (1,5 Mb/sec!)

My additional concern are on the privacy of the cloud, that I think is better on OneDrive.

What do you think? And what do you suggest?

You think onedrive privacy is better?? No, Microsoft scan your files and delete them if they violate the policy

http://wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

Prefer OneDrive due to better integration with multiple applications and platforms (and you can set it up as a WebDAV connection for programs that don't support it), DropBox being my second but find myself using it less and less lately. Note that if you're primarily using the cloud storage for Office you can integrate other providers into it as well, I've added GDrive and DropBox anyway to my own install, pretty easy to do.

But that's not how it works is it?  I want to store my stuff in BigYellowStorage, StudentStore and U-Store, I'd have to manage 3 different plans and storage facilities?

Not to be a douche, just intrigued by the comment

Not sure I understand the comparison.  Can you realistically compare physical goods storage with cloud based data storage?

My choice of applications should not have a bearing on my choice of cloud storage (like any desktop application can save to any storage on my network, Local or NAS).  With an open API/protocol it should not be a problem what works with what.  The model completely falls apart with Cloud based applications.

Does the physical / data comparison hold water?  Only to the point that you have separate agreements with separate companies.

My choice of applications should not have a bearing on my choice of cloud storage

On this I wholly agree.

deleting files is not DCMA compliance but just MS policy

They've not deleted my files - I store all the digital applications i've bought on OneDrive so I always have them backed up.

For as much as I love onedrive, the iOS app is broken right now and Microsoft hasn't seen fit to fix it.  It seems that the camera uploads and all pictures in general aren't viewable on an iOS device.  All you see is a generic picture icon.  You have to go to the website to view the pictures.  This has been happening since the early January app update.

• 5 months later...

In my case, it's OneDrive - because it's multiplatform AND largely browser-neutral UI-wise.

I would say onedrive for the public clouds because of the better integration with office and windows.

That said I am really looking at transporters these days...  basically as simple and easy to use as dropbox but you host the files so there are not the privacy concerns like onedrive/gdrive.

You think onedrive privacy is better?? No, Microsoft scan your files and delete them if they violate the policy

http://wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

X2.

I use mostly Onedrive for basic stuff because I have a windows phone but I have seen Microsoft delete a couple of my files in the past so for any important stuff I use Mega. I would just use Mega if I could integrate it on my phone like Onedrive but since I can't I have to stay with Onedrive which isn't bad really but I just don't trust it 100%. For my Nexus 7 I used Google Drive and it worked really well but since the tablet died I haven't used it since.

It's telling that Microsoft has now produced excellent Android clients for Excel and Word.

I have to say, I love the integration between O365, OneDrive, and the MS Office Android apps.  I have a Samsung tablet, a BlackBerry Passport, and a Dell laptop and I now share data seamlessly between those devices.  GDrive is really good, but the all-around integration just isn't there for me.

What I'm finding is that I use different services for different purposes; I use OneDrive for my business stuff, Box for, um, "personal" files/images, Mega for big stuff I want to share, and Dropbox because I buy a lot of e-books from O'Reilly and they get automatically deposited there.

It's telling that Microsoft has now produced excellent Android clients for Excel and Word.

I have to say, I love the integration between O365, OneDrive, and the MS Office Android apps.  I have a Samsung tablet, a BlackBerry Passport, and a Dell laptop and I now share data seamlessly between those devices.  GDrive is really good, but the all-around integration just isn't there for me.

I feel the same way you do. Excellent Microsoft apps on Android. OneDrive is great for me. I pretty much use OneDrive for personal files and backups for programs I've bought. Only two times I have had problems. Once when I was trying to upload a 12 gig file (ran into the 10gig limit). Another time when I was uploading some pictures from my wife's iPhone. Basic problem was that it was so slow.

Only missing piece for me on "Microsoft on Android" is the lack of browser. I was really hoping that they would release Edge on Android but it looks like that's not going to happen. /s

• 1 month later...

tompkin, the OneDrive client for Android is solid as well - which is why I actually prefer it to Google Drive.  The only reason I don't sync to my tablet is due to lack of storage space on the TABLET.