Music: do you still buy physical media?

I haven't bought a CD in years. Streaming is the way to go.

Same here but still have thousands of cd's!! :)

Don't stream crap! Have many usb sticks filled with albums which play in my car's stereos also, so usually playing cd's or tunes from usb stick.

Have a  walk in closet in basement bedroom that is all fixed up into a sweet looking cd rack/shelves.

You must be buying some terrible music.

People still seem to like Pop music, that's where most of the 1-2 singles and 10 fillers usually happen 

I rarely buy CD's now, I've mostly switched to Spotify for casual listening or iTunes and Bandcamp for purchasing. I do buy the occasional record, but that's when I'm treating myself to great music.

The main reason for choosing CD? Quality.  You can't tell with an iPod but you can with some decent HiFi equipment.  Streaming services have come leaps and bounds but until I can get a very high bit-rate or completely lossless via digital download at a reasonable price, I am buying CDs and ripping them myself.

Depends on the music. If you're into electronic music, there are dozens of good online digital distribution stores. Beatport and Juno are usually the most used.

Depends on the music. If you're into electronic music, there are dozens of good online digital distribution stores. Beatport and Juno are usually the most used.

I like all kinds of music. I'll check out the sites you suggested, but what bitrates or are they lossless?

I do still buy some music that I really like (some CD's I really want to own, older or hard to find stuff on vinyl, etc), but just tend to exist in Spotify almost all the time now.. works on all my devices, works in the car.. it's a superb product and so worth the

I could honestly see myself collecting vinyls... if I had settled into one place. As it stands right now, I try to generally have as fewer physical possessions as possible, so digital (downloads/streaming) is the way to go.

I still buy CDs, but that is mainly due to my listening style more than anything.

I personally prefer to listen to whole albums so I don't buy singles (very rare exceptions to this). I notice that for most albums it is cheaper to buy the whole album as a CD instead of digitally. From what I can tell digital is a bargain if you're buying a few songs here and there on an album.

I like all kinds of music. I'll check out the sites you suggested, but what bitrates or are they lossless?

They usually have 3-4 ranks of quality, the last one being uncompressed WAV files.

I simply obtain CDs from a local library, rip them in a lossless format, in addition to .mp3, and then return them.

Questionable morality right there.

• Like 1

I simply obtain CDs from a local library, rip them in a lossless format, in addition to .mp3, and then return them. I am looking into Tidal Music, however.

https://tidalhifi.com/us/campaign/audio

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/music/tidal-music-1270607/review

At that point you might as well just illegally download the music. Why add the library step to it if you're going to essentially steal it anyway?

Aside from Xbox games I don't think I've bought a disc for myself in the last 5 years. There's absolutely no point anymore.

I still buy Books though. That won't ever change.

Yes I buy the cd if its available then rip at the highest quality I can, normally WMA.  I have a load of vinyl from way back to convert, but I cant be bothered at the moment. :)

I say heck yeah son, my god this new Internet stuff with the I-Tunes and cloud services is garbage. Granted the cloud makes it easy on your data because our infrastructure is still crap in 2015. But the quality is horrible, phones and most MP3s are not even equipped to handle proper media formats. CD's are great are 16 bit, I may not buy per se as first option though if I can't find it as a vinyl or what have you I will buy it. HDTracks and many other sites offer 24bit copies of the stuff coupled with Fiio X5, some Berydynamics, and their dac beatiful stuff. Though it cost you 2500 it's worth it, is cheaper then a really high end custom build of speakers by 500. Not much but this is completely portable. Pickup a digital vinyl player and you can convert your physical media across. Though the physical copy is still great to keep, CD's enh buy them copy them play fetch with your dog or pass it on.

Movies on the other hand are a gold mind, I will rarely bootleg movies. No one ever has quality bootlegs only in the last couple years files here and there are coming across the wire. Sparks usually does a good job (yify needs to drop out all ready lol), though most of the HQ stuff is from Japan and will scar you for life, but the sound is worth it.

So as it stands now movies I do the same thing as I do with CD's. Coming this summer/next am going to stop watching moving pictures all together with 4K coming out, not worth my time. It is so beatiful but, I want to go out and live so music is a huge part of that for me. Life is just a frequency of mathmatical patterns and I know the build up is to the vide* but I'd rather watch real life. And when they bump past 16K and we receive our digital eyes to see even better (or for the general public, they can still watch their tvs) and as upgrade in a whole bunch of different modes. I will upgrade because then you could potentially see the atomic level of life, all detail at your finger tips. Just imagine the glory and potential of that. *Shivers*

The majority of my stuff is Digital. However if it's from someone I really love, or there's a special edition, I'll get a CD (Or Vinyl).

Other reason is when you get an artist to sign your iPod, it tends to wipe off :p Signing the DC lasts much longer :D

I buy vinyl often. But my digital library hasn't come from a CD in 10 years. iTunes is where I go when I buy my files 

Down with streaming, you're all killing the industry and listening to crap compressed files at the same time