Cisco Dial Plans

Can someone explain to me how Dial Plans work. Presuming I am using the right terminology i.e Dial Plan.

I have created an extension range 1001,1002,1003 etc. I want to be dial internally by dialing the extension and that's it.

Then say I want to dial something externally, I want the user to dial 9 first. It then strips this out and calls the number externally.

I don't understand how this works at all....

Yeah I have read all the Cisco stuff I can find, It doesn't simplify it.

I have the ephone-dn set up. Fine that's OK. Essentially the extensions. They can dial between themselves internally.

What I want to happen is say when they dial a prefix or 9 (Or whatever) it routes the call out on to the PSTN (Via the Card/line)

I'm no expert but you need to start looking into Calling Search Spaces and Partitions in terms of who can call what as well as a Route Pattern/Trunk in terms of sending a call out over the PSTN to a voice gateway.

Basically what you would have is firstly two partitions, one for internal phones and one for external calls. You would then have a CSS in which I'm not sure if ordering would cause a massive difference.

Then you need to create the trunk that you use to send calls down to your Voice Gateway.

After that, create a Route Parttern, using the external access partition with a pattern of something like 9.X which basically says anything with a 9 send down this trunk and remember in the Called Party Transformations to do a predot discard digits (unless your VG needs it?).

That should get you somewhere closer at least from a very high level explanation. It might not be THE best way but it should work.

EDIT: Sorry, I have just wrote the above with a Call Manager in mind and then noticed ephone-dn, is this a Call Manager Express?

Sorry Yeah just using express. Its basically get a test phone system up bit by bit.

See I have no idea what you just said. I just got phones dialing internally haha!! Oh and I have a number that routes in(ward) to an extension.

Sorry Yeah just using express. Its basically get a test phone system up bit by bit.

See I have no idea what you just said. I just got phones dialing internally haha!! Oh and I have a number that routes in(ward) to an extension.

No worries - Its been ALONG time since I touched a CME, I did sit a training course about 7 years ago but the product we used against CME died out so I stopped needing to look at them. I don't think any of the above would be useful on a CME so completely ignore that.

I THINK, and this is an even bigger claim than the above, its as simple as configuring a dial peer, something similar to the below would send anyone dialling 1234567 out of that specific port (obviously choosing the port for PSTN)

I'm not sure what you can do in terms of patterns like 9.X like you can in CM but this may help you get a bit closer.

dial-peer voice 1 pots
destination-pattern 1234567
port 2/0/1

Yeah that's exactly what I was looking at!!

Thats fine. I can configure that but how do I distinguish between just internal to internal where you dial xxxx etc and then dialing internal to external.

So from the document I just sent to use as a sort of guide, you want to be looking at the dial-peers as a form of how to get calls out and the Class or Restriction in terms of who can and can't.

In theory with the Dial Peers and the pattern it uses, this is all you really need as long as your internal DN's are all one range (1xxx) for example and externally you use a prefix (9.x).

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern .

port 0/0/1

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern ....

session target ipv4:162.168.0.17

In theory this should work.

In theory this should work.

I'm not 100% sure it will, as the first dial-peer with a pattern match of . would be matched and immediately applied, I think you need to be more specific. I'm even questioning the below however as I think the .'s will need to match the amount of digits.

So you would need multiple dial-peers for International, national and local etc. - I think :p

dial-peer voice 1 pots
destination-pattern 9.
port 0/0/1

dial-peer voice 2 VOIP
destination-pattern 1.
session target ipv4:162.168.0.17

Yes you do haha ... My bad!! :/

All part of the learning - or in my case, remembering.

I very rarely had to even consider calls getting in or out of the CME, my support remit was around making an attendant console work.