Man dies after gaming binge

Hong Kong (CNN)A 32-year-old man was found dead in an Internet cafe in Taiwan after a marathon three-day gaming binge, the island's second death of an online gamer this year.

The man, surnamed Hsieh, entered the cafe in Kaohsiung, Taiwan's second largest city, on January 6, Jennifer Wu, a police spokesperson from the Hunei district precint told CNN.

An employee found him motionless and sprawled on a table at 10 a.m. on January 8 and he was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead from cardiac failure, she added.

"He has been unemployed for a long time, and internet cafes were the only place he could go to," she said.

"His family said he would disappear for two to three days on end."

Police first released details of the case late last week.

It is not known exactly how long the man lay dead in the Internet cafe but police said his corpse had begun to stiffen so he must have been dead for several hours before they arrived on the scene.

more

I don't want to generalise and say, "why does this only happen in Asia?" because that isn't true. A quick search reveals deaths in the UK and the US related to gaming binges. But Asia does seem to have a lot more frequent cases of this happening, and I would be interested in finding out why. Is it something to do with more social acceptance of gaming there?

Reminds me of few years ago when one Asian died from playing Diablo 3 too much. Apparently, he started getting blood clots in his butt from all the time spent sitting in one position.

A weird way to die, that's for sure.

I don't want to generalise and say, "why does this only happen in Asia?" because that isn't true. A quick search reveals deaths in the UK and the US related to gaming binges. But Asia does seem to have a lot more frequent cases of this happening, and I would be interested in finding out why. Is it something to do with more social acceptance of gaming there?

Probably because 98% of the mmo games that are out come Asia.  Mostly Korea. Asian mmos are also typically very heavy on the whole grind for months to reach max level thing.  Its not suprising at all to me that most of the deaths are from asia.  A lot of lorean made games now include different ways now of halting your experience gains after so long which some people think is a way to make money but it was done to keep them from playing for 48 straight trying to be the first one to max level or whatever.

The only solution to stop this kind of thing is to BAN ALL GAMES.

Then the only way to stop all gun crimes and shootups in schools and towns is to ban all guns like for ever! /s

Atleast he dies doing what he liked.

That must have to do something with almost 10x more population in Asia that would surely translate into gaming population as well.

I heard about this before.  it is very bad health for people who addicted to video games for 3 days.  I will find a real job soon.

Very sad way to lose the most valuable thing we have, our lives.

I don't think a ban on games in general makes sense, but behavior like this makes me think there should be some focus on the addictive quality of gaming. There should be some way to help counter people who are addicted to gaming and run the risk of losing their lives as a result; as happened here.

I thought I read a year or so ago that most asian countries had implemented laws to forcibly disconnect you from games after a certain amount of time?

Perhaps it's time for these internet caf

they deserve this crap.

What the ######?

First you label them as weak, thus implying they are not making rational decisions, then they deserve to die?

No, they deserve help.  It doesn't matter what, addiction is a sickness.

No. Why should we feel sorry for em?? They made the choice.

Just like the people that kill themselves in the name of beauty...

• Like 1

What the ######?

First you label them as weak, thus implying they are not making rational decisions, then they deserve to die?

No, they deserve help.  It doesn't matter what, addiction is a sickness.

+1

People like to feel superior for some reason. If only we could be as immortal and superior and be on such a shiny white horse as certain people with a compulsion to engage in snobbery and condescension.

Must be nice to live life with airs of superiority and smugness. Some could say its as much of a compulsion as an addiction which would make them just as flawed as those they seem to get a rush of joy out of looking down upon to make themselves feel superior.

We all bleed red, and nobody is better than anyone else.

• Like 1

So... it is all from just not moving that much?

Could be. Pulmonary embolism. Blood clot forms in leg from being immobile for long periods, then they stand up - blood clot moves and blocks the heart. Its basically an instant cardiac arrest.