Job Advice

Hello, I'm going to come straight out with some stuff as I'm somewhat stuck at the moment.

I have recently started a new job, which since the first day, is not going well at all, to say the least. Without going into specifics, I am suffering from high levels of anxiety, which are affecting my health and well-being, as well as other factors such as relationships. I struggle very much with change of circumstances/environments, which has put me in this state (a similar situation occurred a couple of years ago and I was in the same emotional state). Yes, I've heard 'just get on with it', but that is proving extremely difficult for me at this time. The last time this situation occurred, I ended up with several months out of work and a very depressed state of emotions. Due to the high levels of anxiety, I am also having difficulties wanting to work/determination/thirst for knowledge which is not helping my situation. I prefer a job that has little stress/responsibility/pressure as that is what I struggle to cope with.

I'm qualified and experienced as an IT Technician in the educational sector, however wondering if a slight career change would be a good idea. I have seen a job for a position within a very large business that supplies solutions to the automotive sector. This job is to build and configure new hardware to be shipped to the customer, and also repair computing equipment that is sent back. Does anybody work in this field? Can anyone let me know what it would be like?

Since I am struggling a lot, I cannot make my mind up whether to apply for the position or not. I keep going through the things that put me off the position (that type of thinking happens a lot when looking for work) The main things that put me off this position are the fear that this situation (including feelings and lack of I've found myself in will continue and I will end up out of a job), and also the hours, which are 40 hours a week (8-5), whereas I've only ever worked 37 hours (8-4) ...as I very much appreciate my personal/out of work time.

As you can tell, I am not in a good place at the moment, and would appreciate genuine advice.

Thanks.

See a doctor. There are many pharmaceuticals out there that can help. Prozac is the one that has the least side effects of the family. Paxil, Effexor,ect are also good but with more side effects. If you do not have an addictive nature and your doctor will prescribe, xanax taken as needed is a good one. Of course there are a myriad of other choices,methods such as hypnosis,mindful meditation,etc. Also check the natural drug selection for anxiety such as: Valerian,Kava,etc.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/drugs/natural-medication

As always, even with the naturals seek a doctors advice.

If a job is causing you a lot of stress or anxiety (assuming the job is causing it.  if medical, talk to a Dr.)  , then it is time to look for another job.  Keep the job you have now, but start looking.  From experience, stress can come out at work and you can verbally show how stressed you are and that can get you in trouble, or even fired.  A job is just not worth it.  But if you like what you currently do, just not the place you are doing it in, then stick with it and try to find something else.

I support about 600 systems, and users, over 7 locations in the US all by myself.  Anything hardware/software related and even some network issues fall all on my shoulders.  I have people ###### off at me on a daily basis since I am so back logged and have had more stress than I had to deal with.  I am currently looking for another job.  Was not always like this and used to be 3 people doing a lot of the same stuff as I am.  And I am not really doing what I was hired to do originally.  But corporate is making dumb decisions. Sometimes a change of place is what you need, not career.

As for hours, 3 more isnt a lot and shouldnt be a worry.  Lots of places make people work under 40 so they dont have to pay benefits.

• Like 2

See a doctor. There are many pharmaceuticals out there that can help. Prozac is the one that has the least side effects of the family. Paxil, Effexor,ect are also good but with more side effects. If you do not have an addictive nature and your doctor will prescribe, xanax taken as needed is a good one. Of course there are a myriad of other choices,methods such as hypnosis,mindful meditation,etc. Also check the natural drug selection for anxiety such as: Valerian,Kava,etc.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/drugs/natural-medication

As always, even with the naturals seek a doctors advice.

Thanks. I have been to my doctor and also other medical professionals. However. the doctor will not prescribe anything to help as they believe the 'natural' way through will be the best. I understand that, but it isn't helping how I feel.

I'm after advice on working in that sort of position and also for a business too.

If a job is causing you a lot of stress or anxiety (assuming the job is causing it.  if medical, talk to a Dr.)  , then it is time to look for another job.  Keep the job you have now, but start looking.  From experience, stress can come out at work and you can verbally show how stressed you are and that can get you in trouble, or even fired.  A job is just not worth it.  But if you like what you currently do, just not the place you are doing it in, then stick with it and try to find something else.

I support about 600 systems, and users, over 7 locations in the US all by myself.  Anything hardware/software related and even some network issues fall all on my shoulders.  I have people ###### off at me on a daily basis since I am so back logged and have had more stress than I had to deal with.  I am currently looking for another job.  Was not always like this and used to be 3 people doing a lot of the same stuff as I am.  And I am not really doing what I was hired to do originally.  But corporate is making dumb decisions. Sometimes a change of place is what you need, not career.

As for hours, 3 more isnt a lot and shouldnt be a worry.  Lots of places make people work under 40 so they dont have to pay benefits.

Thanks for the insight. I think I enjoy what I do, but I haven't really done anything else. I still prefer jobs without much pressure/responsibility, just unsure what there is that I can do given that my experience and education have sort of pigeon holed me. 

Thanks. I have been to my doctor and also other medical professionals. However. the doctor will not prescribe anything to help as they believe the 'natural' way through will be the best. I understand that, but it isn't helping how I feel.

I'm after advice on working in that sort of position and also for a business too.

Then time to see another Doctor or keep trying until you find someone that understands.  Sometimes anxiety cannot be fixed by itself.  I know people who are on meds because of it.  Can also be caused by depression.  But if the job is causing all of this, then its time for a new job.  And when you are not at work, do things that help you relax and do not think about work until you clock in the next day and forget it when you clock out.

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight. I think I enjoy what I do, but I haven't really done anything else. I still prefer jobs without much pressure/responsibility, just unsure what there is that I can do given that my experience and education have sort of pigeon holed me. 

I have not done much else either.  You dont have to to find something you like.  Take away all the crap the job is throwing at you and just think about the work you are doing and if that is what you enjoy, then stick with it.  But you will have to think about this as no one can tell you whether or not you like what you are doing.  And stress,anxiety, depression...can all give you a false feeling about how you feel about your job and profession as well.  So you need to get that under control. 

• Like 2

Then time to see another Doctor or keep trying until you find someone that understands.  Sometimes anxiety cannot be fixed by itself.  I know people who are on meds because of it.  Can also be caused by depression.  But if the job is causing all of this, then its time for a new job.  And when you are not at work, do things that help you relax and do not think about work until you clock in the next day and forget it when you clock out.

I do have further appointments. I have a major issue with not thinking about it outside of work. I constantly think about it, worry about it, dred the next coming day. I've tried activities to distract me, but I have no enthusiasm for it at all and all the way through it I'm not paying attention. :(

I do have further appointments. I have a major issue with not thinking about it outside of work. I constantly think about it, worry about it, dred the next coming day. I've tried activities to distract me, but I have no enthusiasm for it at all and all the way through it I'm not paying attention. :(

Then time to look for another job or seek a Dr that can prescribe you something to help you.  Maybe it is not a medial Dr you need and a psychiatrist may be able to help you.

I like to play games so that is what I do to help me relax.  Or I will put in a funny movie that I know will make me laugh.  There are different ways to work of the stress/anxiety.  I know people who will run, ride their bike, or work out and that helps them.  Key is to not sit around and dwell on things.

Then time to look for another job or seek a Dr that can prescribe you something to help you.  Maybe it is not a medial Dr you need and a psychiatrist may be able to help you.

I like to play games so that is what I do to help me relax.  Or I will put in a funny movie that I know will make me laugh.  There are different ways to work of the stress/anxiety.  I know people who will run, ride their bike, or work out and that helps them.  Key is to not sit around and dwell on things.

My doctor has stated that something like anti-depressants will have an adverse effect, certainly during the first few weeks and when it comes to an end. I'm not sure I could cope with that at this moment in time.

My doctor has stated that something like anti-depressants will have an adverse effect, certainly during the first few weeks and when it comes to an end. I'm not sure I could cope with that at this moment in time.

Anxiety and depression are not the same thing.  And some people are on meds all the time to treat for these issues.

But that could all be caused by your job.  What about your job don't you like?

Anxiety and depression are not the same thing.  And some people are on meds all the time to treat for these issues.

But that could all be caused by your job.  What about your job don't you like?

The environment itself. I've done this job in other schools and been alright, but this one I simply do not want to be here.

The environment itself. I've done this job in other schools and been alright, but this one I simply do not want to be here.

To much work?  To much demand to get things dont in a timely manner?  Jerk bosses? 

If you were happy in other places, then I think you have your answer.  Time to look for another place to work.  My thought about a job is that the money is great, but if I dont like what I am doing and where I am at, the money doesnt matter.  I have taken pay cuts to work other places before that I was happy at and enjoyed.

To much work?  To much demand to get things dont in a timely manner?  Jerk bosses? 

If you were happy in other places, then I think you have your answer.  Time to look for another place to work.  My thought about a job is that the money is great, but if I dont like what I am doing and where I am at, the money doesnt matter.  I have taken pay cuts to work other places before that I was happy at and enjoyed.

Sitting in awkward silence as it is an office of me and my manager, a manger who speaks another language and is hard to understand.

Have to agree with techbeck, had a crappy job that was easy, but management made it stressful, worked for an ISPs "help" desk, caused me to develop stress induced migraines, even the neurologist put on paper that I needed to be placed in another position, yes got fired, and yes, was unemployed for close to two years, but the migraines went away, and have not had any in my current job, doing internal chat support for a large medical insurance company 

Apologies if I am repeating some of the above however...

If you struggle with new environments / change then why do you think changing career will help? IMO you need help with coping with what you have, changing again does not sound like it will help anything. 

Sitting in awkward silence as it is an office of me and my manager, a manger who speaks another language and is hard to understand.

Then start looking for another job.  Sounds like that is the cause of your problems.  Not what you are doing, but where you are doing it.  Dont stay at a place that makes you feel like that.  Yes, its a pain in the ass and a little scary looking for a new job...but feeling like you are now is just not worth it.   Stress, anxiety....can both cause you physical problems besides mental.

In the mean time, keep busy when you are not at work and keep your mind off of work.  May be hard at first finding something to keep your mind occupied, but when you do, it will help.

My suggestion would be to apply for the position. You'll have to go through an interview process, and I find that to be a great time to sit down with someone in the area and discuss the job with them. You can ask them questions - interviews work two ways - about what a normal working day would be like, how the team that you would be working for are, etc. You can always turn around at the end and say, "thank you for bringing me in, but I don't think that this position is for me."

Regarding the stress and anxiety, I suffer from a similar situation. In my bag I always carry two homeopathic solutions. One is similasan and the other is ignaria amara. I've always been skeptical of homeopathy, but I've also found that my anxiety is psychological which then brings on physical symptoms. It could be that the homeopathic solutions are more a placebo than anything, but I find that they work most of the time.

If your anxiety continues, I would recommend seeing a doctor about it. Doctors can prescribe something called Cipralex, which works for anxiety and depression. It doesn't space you out or anything serious, but after taking it for a while you will notice that the things that used to trigger you (urgh, tumblr has made me destest that word, "trigger") don't seem to be as bothersome as they once were.

I'm not a doctor, so I would strongly recommend discussing the issue with someone medically trained. However, the homepathic solutions are available over the counter and it might be worth trying them for a while to see if it helps.

EDIT: Also, feel free to drop me a PM if you like. As I said, I've been in a similar situation so can maybe answer some more personal questions if you like.

dude see a doctor and get your sh*t together! i dont mean that being rude, i mean get well asap, this can destroy your life and we dont want that to a fellow neowinian! :)

Thank you for the feedback. I have been to the doctor and will be going back again. There are a number of underlying issues that I believe are contributing towards how I am feeling and I am realising that this is not the working environment for me. However it is the sticking it out until I find something else that I am struggling with, as I am continuously thinking that I do not want to be here and I do not want to do anything whilst I am here.

Thank you for the feedback. I have been to the doctor and will be going back again. There are a number of underlying issues that I believe are contributing towards how I am feeling and I am realising that this is not the working environment for me. However it is the sticking it out until I find something else that I am struggling with, as I am continuously thinking that I do not want to be here and I do not want to do anything whilst I am here.

Better be careful or you will get fired and be worse off.  Dont wait to go see a Dr.  Schedule an appointment today, if you have not already.  And start looking for a new job and interviewing places. Longer you wait, worse off you will be and feel.

And what do you do outside of work?   That has a lot to do with how you feel and function in different environments.

IT can be very stressful...entire companies and their livelihoods are riding on your abilities.  If it is not for you you should definitely switch jobs.  I am very close to terminating all of my side jobs because the stress of my main job (multimillion dollar a year company) is enough for me to handle without side jobs popping up here and there causing me additional stress.  Issues like they can't print or their computers won't turn on, my wife helps me field those calls being that it is directly related to her job, she is the one who put me in that position to support them.  If you are having a lot of anxiety, you should go down to a less stressful position.   Perhaps a level 1 helpdesk position, the guy that answers the phone, does basic troubleshooting and puts in a ticket to the level 2 or 3 guys.  If that is not your deal then maybe a field change.

Unfortunately, we don't just deal with computers.  We deal with the people attached to those computers.  They can make our lives very stressful at times.  What you need is a job where you don't deal with people or their anger towards the issues at hand.  Perhaps a store greeter or a newspaper boy or the guy that vacuums up the golf balls at the range.