I never thought Windows 10 would make me buy an Xbox One !

If I am correct, I believe that we will be able to save money on Capture cards that allow the console to stream to the computer via hardware and then record using software on the Windows PC. I just wonder if there will be a lag in stream. If its a couple MS, then I'm fine, but if even it lags 1 second, then that is the difference between life and death. :D

They didn't mention if this is limited to same subnet, or whether it could possibly work over the Internet also (which I would very much doubt). And was there news on universal binaries for games? It won't happen for physical media, but I can imagine buying the digital game on Live and having versions of it for pc, phone and console.

They didn't mention if this is limited to same subnet, or whether it could possibly work over the Internet also (which I would very much doubt). And was there news on universal binaries for games? It won't happen for physical media, but I can imagine buying the digital game on Live and having versions of it for pc, phone and console.

local network only.

local network only.

Source?  I could only watch the presentation sporadically but it seemed he mentioned he needed to sync his Surface to the Xbox and then he could stream the game from what I assumed was wherever.

But now I might seriously consider it. Streaming games and controlling the console from your pc - genius. I know PS4 does something similar if you have a Sony phone or Vita etc, but this is much much more important.

I got that too. tricky marketting. get everyone to buy an xboxone just to stream games on windows 10? nope. I'm not impressed in windows 10 except for the DX 12 gaming side. that's it! all I'm doing is getting on board with Windows 8.2 technically. cortana doesn't impress me. I don't interface or use my PC by voice because it is a fad or new. I use my system as I see fit and get hit a lot around here for that belief. Windows 10 seems more desktop centered, which works for me. I just hope I can subdue/ turn off the modern UI tiles as it hogs screen space.

Over the local lan is probably the only place it can work at smoothly, otherwise I doubt the Xbox One has the power to render AND stream it over the internet.  In the future though? I'm betting they'll do their own streaming service over the internet for older 360 games, like PS Now.

Over the local lan is probably the only place it can work at smoothly, otherwise I doubt the Xbox One has the power to render AND stream it over the internet.  In the future though? I'm betting they'll do their own streaming service over the internet for older 360 games, like PS Now.

Why would the internet require any more processing/gfx power than the LAN to render and stream?

I got that too. tricky marketting. get everyone to buy an xboxone just to stream games on windows 10? nope. I'm not impressed in windows 10 except for the DX 12 gaming side. that's it! all I'm doing is getting on board with Windows 8.2 technically. cortana doesn't impress me. I don't interface or use my PC by voice because it is a fad or new. I use my system as I see fit and get hit a lot around here for that belief. Windows 10 seems more desktop centered, which works for me. I just hope I can subdue/ turn off the modern UI tiles as it hogs screen space.

do you even understand what cortana is? voice is one optional way to communicate with her, but only one the main way is by mouse and keyboard even if voice is more natural, mainly because people are not yet comfortable talking to a computer.

Why would the internet require any more processing/gfx power than the LAN to render and stream?

Because of the slower speeds. To get it to work smoothly and reduce lag you'll have to, I'm betting here, compress the image and send it out to who knows how far away. Latency is less of an issue when you're going over a home network that's 100mbps or 1gbps without fears of any hicops along the way.

power to stream isn't an issue, the fact hardly anyone has the outbound bandwidth for it is.

• Like 2

power to stream isn't an issue, the fact hardly anyone has the outbound bandwidth for it is.

Indeed. Not to mention the congestion / throughput performance to your endpoint device wherever it sits on the internet also.

Xbox One doesn't need to go through your LAN to get to your device. It already uses Wifi Direct when you connect to it with SmartGlass. I assume that's what it'll use for streaming. Cut out the middleman.

OK, I found the answer to my question:

• Game Streaming. Thanks to the deep integration of Xbox on Windows 10, games on Xbox One can be streamed through your home network to your Windows 10 PC or tablet, anywhere in your house. Xbox One gamers will now be able to play many of their favorite console games on their PC. And many Xbox One accessories will work interchangeably on the console and PC (with more on the way), so you can customize your experience in whatever way you see fit.
Source: Xbox Wire

do you even understand what cortana is? voice is one optional way to communicate with her, but only one the main way is by mouse and keyboard even if voice is more natural, mainly because people are not yet comfortable talking to a computer.

yeah, i saw it at work in the webcast. i don't need to ask my PC what I like, or if I need to wear a jacket outside. another gimmick on how i can use my PC. I don't need my voice to compute. I don't need the VR gimmicks either. I'm not into "keeping up with the Joneses." but yes we all saw cortana. its just a MSFT vision of the google speak app. seriously..

yeah, i saw it at work in the webcast. i don't need to ask my PC what I like, or if I need to wear a jacket outside. another gimmick on how i can use my PC. I don't need my voice to compute. I don't need the VR gimmicks either. I'm not into "keeping up with the Joneses." but yes we all saw cortana. its just a MSFT vision of the google speak app. seriously..

Not to say that you will ever use it anyways, but having been in the computer industry for many many moons I have heard that same argument from using a mouse, using a GUI vs a command prompt, at each new leap in OS, etc. For me it would be very "neat" if I could just speak "Hey Cortana, show me all the brochures for X product" and they would be there. It would save me a ton of time searching for files I have, which I do frequently at work. The other side is that, to steal a certain company's phrase, it just needs to work. If I can casually say what I want and it does it for me there's a much higher change it'll catch on.
  • Like 1

Xbox One doesn't need to go through your LAN to get to your device. It already uses Wifi Direct when you connect to it with SmartGlass. I assume that's what it'll use for streaming. Cut out the middleman.

Good point, but it's still a local network, it just doesn't need to go through an access point/router.

But now I might seriously consider it. Streaming games and controlling the console from your pc - genius. I know PS4 does something similar if you have a Sony phone or Vita etc, but this is much much more important.

Seems like it's the wrong way to me.

It makes sense in how Sony uses it to stream to tablets and phones and "weaker" devices. (which is what they demoed with a Surface 3)

But streaming from my comparatively weak console to my gaming PC seems silly.  So even if they don't have any latency (sure...) and even if they are able to send the full video without having to drop it to 720p@30fps like I think Sony does then what.... I'll be running a 900p@30fps game on my 4k gaming PC?

I'd MUCH rather be able to stream FROM my gaming PC to an Xbox One so I could play the better quality PC games on my TV without having to move my PC to the living room.  Then maybe I could actually have 1080p@60fps gaming on a console this generation, rofl.

• Like 2

Accessibility is more of a key point. (Hardware aside) the device just needs to be running Windows 10 from what we've been told so far- that's a big advantage.

Not really to be honest. Lot of people own Android or Apple tablets. More people will be interested in streaming a console game to a tablet than a PC. If it did support Android and iOS tablets then it would be huge.

sounds like you actually don't understand what Cortana is, its OT in this thread anyway.

It makes sense in how Sony uses it to stream to tablets and phones and "weaker" devices. (which is what they demoed with a Surface 3)

But streaming from my comparatively weak console to my gaming PC seems silly.  So even if they don't have any latency (sure...) and even if they are able to send the full video without having to drop it to 720p@30fps like I think Sony does then what.... I'll be running a 900p@30fps game on my 4k gaming PC?

I'd MUCH rather be able to stream FROM my gaming PC to an Xbox One so I could play the better quality PC games on my TV without having to move my PC to the living room.  Then maybe I could actually have 1080p@60fps gaming on a console this generation, rofl.

umm what about windows tablet and phones, you know the devices he actually demonstrated it on.

Is the streamed frame being rendered on the pc? I don't think so, it's like an optimized RDP protocol. i.e. you can stream games on a much lower powered pc/laptop. You'r not actually playing the game on the pc and I don't think it should use much cpu/gpu.

But they haven't really released any details.

Source?  I could only watch the presentation sporadically but it seemed he mentioned he needed to sync his Surface to the Xbox and then he could stream the game from what I assumed was wherever.

i cant remember where i read it anymore, but some journo confirmed it with ms.

Except not everyone has computers like you. This streaming actually does make sense when you look at the computer of the average joe. The majority of people have either old computers or cheap computers, which don't have the strenght of the XbOne. In your case, I don't think you'll need this function, but still there are plenty of things you can still do with the new Windows.

umm what about windows tablet and phones, you know the devices he actually demonstrated it on.

My post was a direct response to the OP who specifically said on his PC (not tablet or phone.) Furthermore I specifically pointed out in the quote you replied to "It makes sense ... to stream to tablets and phones and "weaker" devices. (which is what they demoed with a Surface 3)" so what part of that makes you ask "what about windows tablets and phones" or think I didn't realize what device "he actually demonstrated it on."

I went on to say "But streaming from my comparatively weak console to my gaming PC seems silly." and then continue on from there making it clear that what I was referring to in my comment (even if I misunderstood the OP or something) was streaming from the console to a gaming PC.

umm maybe you should read what you are replying to before making snarky comments.