How do you feel about the design of Windows 10 now you have seen the consumer preview?

Windows 10 Consumer Preview UI  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the UI as seen in the Windows Event today?

• Yes, I love it!
    • Meh, it isn't any better or worse than Windows 8
    • God damn Microsoft you said there was going to be a whole new UI!

So how do you feel about the new look to Windows 10 now we have seen the consumer preview? If this is the final look to Windows 10 are you happy with it or not?

hamburger sucks.

I didn't watch the keynote so maybe I missed it, but on the latest build they were showing off, did they have any "legacy" apps next to Modern apps? I see things like the title bar widgets have changed, has this been brought over to the legacy app windows? Have they fixed the issue Win8 had where using black or dark window chrome was almost impossible since the title bar text was fixed to black?

For the brief time Joe did show the Start Menu / Screen, he didn't click the all apps button at all. You can see in the screenshots above, the very first section on the left side of the Start Menu is called Places. It has some icons for File Explorer and whatnot, all on a light blue background. Don't know if this changes according to the theme colour, or if it's just hard coded for each individual app. 

Edit: Regarding the changing of colour of text for darker titlebars, it's only available for Metro apps, AFAIK, even on the most recent TP build.  

Not bad, it's still work in progress. We see how it shapes up at build 2015.win10-across-devices-960.jpg

I would love to see that kind of Start Menu with the black colour and the transparency in the final build.

For the brief time Joe did show the Start Menu / Screen, he didn't click the all apps button at all. You can see in the screenshots above, the very first section on the left side of the Start Menu is called Places. It has some icons for File Explorer and whatnot, all on a light blue background. Don't know if this changes according to the theme colour, or if it's just hard coded for each individual app. 

Edit: Regarding the changing of colour of text for darker titlebars, it's only available for Metro apps, AFAIK, even on the most recent TP build.  

Oh, so Microsoft didn't bother to listen to one of the most wanted changes in Win10, based on Windows Feeback likes or thumbs up or whatever. Great. I'm hoping it's something they change by RTM. Whoever decided less customization is a good thing should be fired.

• Like 1

Oh, so Microsoft didn't bother to listen to one of the most wanted changes in Win10, based on Windows Feeback likes or thumbs up or whatever. Great. I'm hoping it's something they change by RTM. Whoever decided less customization is a good thing should be fired.

It'll most likely evolve as time goes by. Heck, they didn't even explicitly call this the "Consumer Preview', they just said a new build of the Insider Program is coming next week. Also, the final UI for Windows 8 didn't get "implemented' so to speak until the RC stage. The UI is most likely a little further from being finalized. Joe even said multiple times that these are earlier builds, so who knows?

It'll most likely evolve as time goes by. Heck, they didn't even explicitly call this the "Consumer Preview', they just said a new build of the Insider Program is coming next week. Also, the final UI for Windows 8 didn't get "implemented' so to speak until the RC stage. The UI is most likely a little further from being finalized. Joe even said multiple times that these are earlier builds, so who knows?

I'm sure things will be changed up, but knowing Microsoft, I also wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. I know aesthetics aren't the be all end all of operating systems, but it's the little things that count. All the minor tweaks and touches that Microsoft can address in Win10 will be noticed and appreciated. It's something Apple gets right with OS X... With Yosemite, they didn't just change the Finder UI, they updated all the app icons, most of the app UIs, etc.

What's there to feel? It's a skinned Windows 7, the charms bar and touch UI of Win 8 has been made optional, there is nothing new for desktop users (I'm sure some will say virtual desktops and DX12 are huge) and nothing new on the desktop.

Yep. Aero Glass was among the top requested features.

Now if the shot above is any indication, maybe they are beginning to implement something for a future build.

I'll keep the faith for now, but if AG or something decent like it isn't in by RC I'll begin to lose hope.

There was a good reason why they didn't show windows 10 on phones that much, it wasn't quite ready for consumer preview. Hopefully they'll clean it up.

I'm not too happy how they did away with the action bar, charms, and the multitasking sidebar standard for modern apps. However, I'll reserve judgment when I try this out on my SP3.