How is Windows 10 on tablet?

How is Windows 10 on tablet?

We all know that Microsoft did a lot of backpedaling from Windows 8 to Windows 10 to appease desktop users.

Microsoft said that Windows 10 is suppose to be able to adapt depending on the hardware attached.

Now that Microsoft has officially unveil continuum, is Windows 10 just as productive on tablet as does Windows 8?

Now that Microsoft has officially unveil continuum, is Windows 10 just as productive on tablet as does Windows 8?

Gotta be more so.

I haven't personally used it but seeing that there's a 'tablet-mode' (everything in full-screen) I think it would be just like before.

However on smaller tablets, the desktop-mode might be a bit weird?

Does all the gestures from Windows 8 still work in Windows 10?

I got to admit, while I have used quite a few Windows 8 tablets (notably, the Surface Pro 3), I do not have my own Windows 8 tablet and learned the gestures from HP all-in-one touchscreen PCs at school.

Does all the gestures from Windows 8 still work in Windows 10?

I got to admit, while I have used quite a few Windows 8 tablets (notably, the Surface Pro 3), I do not have my own Windows 8 tablet and learned the gestures from HP all-in-one touchscreen PCs at school.

How should anyone know? Tablet mode has not been made available to test yet.

However on smaller tablets, the desktop-mode might be a bit weird?

I have a small-ish tablet that runs 7 and 8.1 - The desktop is reasonably usable, ish. On a smaller screen a stylus definitely comes into play though with desktop software, fairly hard to bullseye classic GUI elements with a finger with any semblance of accuracy. 7's old start menu and various dialogs is tricky and a hinderance, 8.x made it a lot easier. Even 7 is nowhere near the chore that it was way back with XP Tablet Edition though, at least some desktop apps are still touch aware.. browsers for example.

ians18, on 21 Jan 2015 - 20:21, said:ians18, on 21 Jan 2015 - 20:21, said:

How should anyone know? Tablet mode has not been made available to test yet.

Weren't there a lot of tablets at the event that people can play with?

So swipe from the left for Task View and swipe from the right for Notification.

Also, start screen now scroll vertically instead of horizontally.

Does anyone know why there need to be a taskbar in tablet mode?

It's there for a reason... the webcast said 2 modes on all devices...

you don't have to use it... just remove the desktop tile if you don't want the desktop on the tablet. 

You can hide the taskbar if you want to...   

If you don't like that, there are many android tablets in sizes such as 7" 8" 10" etc. that they don't have taskbar on it.

I have Win 10 on my Surface and I completely HATE it on a tablet and I'm not to thrilled with what was shown at the conference.

Right now win 10 is desktop only, very little in the way of touch/swipe commands work at all so imagine running Win 7 on a tablet and you have a good idea of what Win 10 is currently like on a tablet. Also right now when you switch apps to full screen they do not remember that preference so they go back to non full screen the next time you launch it.

My issues are not solved by the latest previews of Continuum either as they still seem to force a static desktop taskbar at the bottom even in tablet mode which for smaller devices suck cause you need that screen space and the taskbar function can be easily delegated to live tiles..

Tablet mode for Win 10 should simply work like Win 8.1 they really didn't need to mess with it so much and I hope that changes by the time Win 10 comes out.

So they got rid of the swipe right set brightness and swipe right select wifi?

Is Micosoft going business only or something?

The current build is simply awful for tablets, today's build should be better but it still seems odd to piece meal and gimp Win 10 for tablets when win 8.1 worked really well for tablets. They are breaking something that was working perfectly fine in Win 8.1.

Since you have Desktop AND Tablet mode in Win 10 Tablet mode does not need to cater to Desktop elements like the taskbar. Tablet mode should be TABLET mode and be a fullscreen mode similar to Win 8.1

Yes, does anyone know how these settings work right now?  The various toggles in the charms bar were great.  How do these settings work now?  When the user hits brightness, do they get taken to a whole separate settings page or something?

• 2 weeks later...

So far Windows 10 has been terrible for tablets. I am hoping they can have something decent by launch or else I will be sticking windows 8.1.

I'm happy with how Windows 10 is on a tablet. Only issue is the All apps on start menu is quite wasteful.

Windows 10 is has been pretty much butchered on tablets compared to Windows 8.1, I posted about my experience on Neowin thinking I had a bad upgrade, however apparently not: Windows 10 on a tablet.

As Windows 10 is far from feature complete ill reserve judgement for now however.

Needless to say if you have a Windows tablet, please submit lots of feedback on the subject (using the feedback app) as it appears Microsoft are listing.

• Like 2

Win10 needs a little work for tablets.  I tried it on my SP3 and decided to revert pretty quickly; maybe I was expecting the Win8 experience, which works great on a touch screen.  I found Win10 kept trying to shoehorn the touch interface into the desktop, which isn't a good idea in my opinion.  In any case, I left feedback using the tool and I'm confident that the UX will be properly fleshed out as development continues.

• Like 1

Someone please comment on the pop-up touch keyboard.

I know that the touch keyboard now automatically appear on desktop and desktop applications when you tap on text boxes, but that this did not work consistently on the previously build.

Yes, illegaloperation, text boxes on the desktop now pop up the onscreen keyboard.

I know that. What I want to know is if it works consistently.

In the previous build, sometimes the touch keyboard won't appear when tapping the text boxes and sometimes the touch keyboard won't disappear when the text boxes are deselected.

I know that. What I want to know is if it works consistently.

In the previous build, sometimes the touch keyboard won't appear when tapping the text boxes and sometimes the touch keyboard won't disappear when the text boxes are deselected.

Yeah. It seems to be working pretty consistently for me. Haven't had any issues that I can recall.

This guy pretty much sums up what I think of Windows 10 on a tablet currently:

http://youtu.be/MpzTLZU8UTU

It's a hodgepodge of Desktop and Touch. Windows 8 kept these things separate, but now everything is clumped together. Microsoft will probably iron these things out (assuming they listen to the feedback on the new build), but my impression so far isn't good.