Cops: Twins, 9, left mostly alone for months, parents abroad

###### parents and ###### uncle

How are the parents at fault? They arranged for the uncle to STAY with the boys, and made provision in case he had problems; it's hardly their fault if he decided to be an ass.

How are the parents at fault? They arranged for the uncle to STAY with the boys, and made provision in case he had problems; it's hardly their fault if he decided to be an ass.

They should have checked in on a regular basis at the very least. It seems highly irresponsible to leave 9 yr olds for such an extended period of time and not have regular updates from both the uncle and kids. Anyone (the uncle) who would let 9 yr olds alone for days on end doesn't sound like the most responsible to begin with. Im also curious as to why they didn't go with the rest of the family as well. 

I was left alone in my house at age 5 and it wasn't any issues... just ate all the food and watched tv and played games... and did what I wanted!

• Like 2

I was left alone in my house at age 5 and it wasn't any issues... just ate all the food and watched tv and played games... and did what I wanted!

Just because that's what you did as a child doesn't make it right. There's a lot of things I did as a child that I wouldn't want my kids to do now.

• Like 2

Seriously?

They never bothered to call and check in during that time?  What is worse, they didn't even leave them with a phone to do so.

Great parents.

Maybe read the article?

However as a parent, if I've stayed away from home and left the misses and daughter behind, I speak to BOTH of them during the time away. It is a little dubious that for months, they never spoke to their children who could have told them this was happening.

When police finally reached the parents, they said they had instructed Atura to stay at the apartment, and if he couldn't, they gave him the name of a family friend to contact. The parents said they stayed in phone contact with Atura, who assured them everything was fine.

Maybe read the article?

However as a parent, if I've stayed away from home and left the misses and daughter behind, I speak to BOTH of them during the time away. It is a little dubious that for months, they never spoke to their children who could have told them this was happening.

Hey Hey Hey.. This is the Internet. Expecting people to Read before Commenting had no place here!

If they had a phone (working phone), and had more food than just Ramen..I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this as I do.. Now I was never left along for months, days here and there, you're more than able to take care of yourselves at age 9. Hell, they were going to school and everything.. Can't say I would have at age 9 lol

As a parent myself, I don't know why the parents did not call to check up on the boys daily?  We went to wedding and left our kids with my mom, and I still called to check on them.  So yeah, it's the parents fault as well ...

As a parent myself, I don't know why the parents did not call to check up on the boys daily?  We went to wedding and left our kids with my mom, and I still called to check on them.  So yeah, it's the parents fault as well ...

First, there was no phone at the residence, so they would STILL be calling the uncle, who said things were fine.

Second, calling daily isn't needed. They left them with family and called regularly to make sure things were fine. There's nothing more they can do from there. SHOULD they have left like that, and other choices are another matter. But while they were gone, they did all that could be expected.

They should have checked in on a regular basis at the very least. It seems highly irresponsible to leave 9 yr olds for such an extended period of time and not have regular updates from both the uncle and kids. Anyone (the uncle) who would let 9 yr olds alone for days on end doesn't sound like the most responsible to begin with. Im also curious as to why they didn't go with the rest of the family as well. 

You really didn't read the article, did you? For shame, Muddy...

When police finally reached the parents, they said they had instructed Atura to stay at the apartment, and if he couldn't, they gave him the name of a family friend to contact. The parents said they stayed in phone contact with Atura, who assured them everything was fine.

100% the carer's fault, not the parents.  They made arrangements and even had a backup.