Town of polygamist leader who sexually assaulted girls divided

polygamy_town-1.jpgHildale, Utah, which sits at the base of Red Rock Cliff mountains. Today, the sister cities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona, are split between loyalists who still believe Jeffs is a victim of religious persecution and defectors who are embracing government efforts to pull the town into modern society.

HILDALE, Utah

Why are people being evicted from their home?

If the point is to deeds to their homes, what's the point of kicking them out?

Till it's sorted out the State is charging them a $100 occupancy fee, typical of these types, they refuse to pay their taxes, and are getting booted out for it, like it would happen anywhere else 

These people are free to believe what they want, I do have an issue with ANY religion advocating rape of young girls, and that's what this specific group leader was all aobut

What concern me most is that only 190 out of ~1200 school age children are attending school. Of cause this is an improvement the school not being open at all.

They're probably home schooled, which by itself isn't that unusual especially in these days of online K-12 or outright home education. Michigan alone has 3 online academy/charter schools and home education by parents. The difference is that Jeff's people probably have a uneveique idea of what constitutes "schooling."

If you ask me, the state should just go in, take all the kids from those who haven't moved forward, and put them places where they can be properly cared for. 

It sucks, the whole idea of the state going in and dictating all that sort of stuff, but the only way this nonsense will truly end is if they go in there, break it up, and keep them from starting a new generation of this nonsense. If that means taking kids from parents, each time the parents have them for the rest of their lives, long term, I think it's for the greater good.

If you ask me, the state should just go in, take all the kids from those who haven't moved forward, and put them places where they can be properly cared for. 

It sucks, the whole idea of the state going in and dictating all that sort of stuff, but the only way this nonsense will truly end is if they go in there, break it up, and keep them from starting a new generation of this nonsense. If that means taking kids from parents, each time the parents have them for the rest of their lives, long term, I think it's for the greater good.

The State is in a bad spot, if they do that, some moron will scream "freedom of religion" and if they don't the girls will continue to be raped and abused, doing the right thing could cause them to end up in Federal court with the associated costs involved with the mess 

The government shouldn't go in and "rescue" them. The truth is that the government have no idea what it is doing. (Remember when it went into Iraq to "rescue" the Iraqi people. Well, they are much better today. /s)

The children will hate the government and so will the parents for forcefully breaking up their families. And what do you want to do with the children? Drop them off at your house?

What the government need to do is make sure that they (the children) have good education and know their choices and that's what it can do.

The government shouldn't go in and "rescue" them. The truth is that the government have no idea what it is doing. (Remember when it went into Iraq to "rescue" the Iraqi people. Well, they are much better today. /s)

The children will hate the government and so will the parents for forcefully breaking up their families. And what do you want to do with the children? Drop them off at your house?

What the government need to do is make sure that they (the children) have good education and know their choices and that's what it can do.

The only way for the government to do that is to take the children from their parents, as long as they live in these communes the parents can and will control every aspect of their education, nothing the gov can do about that, can't have it both ways 

Also you got your anti-gov rant wrong, this at the State level and not Federal, of course the Feds could intervene but won't, might want to get your "facts" right before commenting 

You overestimate the effectiveness of the governments mind control.....how do you expect the government to educate the children when the parents won't allow that to happen? The only option would be remove the parents from the equation, which can only happen if they take the children away from the parents.

But that's the point. Children within such cults aren't being given a good education or being taught their rights. They're being brainwashed to believe perverted religious leaders with ulterior motives. Home schooling is perfectly legal and acceptable but the issue here is much greater than that - these children are being deprived access to the wider society, to information that would lead them to question their beliefs.

The government has an obligation to protect these children from those who would manipulate and abuse them.

• Like 1

You overestimate the effectiveness of the governments mind control.....how do you expect the government to educate the children when the parents won't allow that to happen? The only option would be remove the parents from the equation, which can only happen if they take the children away from the parents.

1. I was only using the Iraq as an example. I am fully aware that it's up to the state government.

2. The (state) government controls the public school and the curriculum.

3. It isn't mind control.

But that's the point. Children within such cults aren't being given a good education or being taught their rights. They're being brainwashed to believe perverted religious leaders with ulterior motives. Home schooling is perfectly legal and acceptable but the issue here is much greater than that - these children are being deprived access to the wider society, to information that would lead them to question their beliefs.

The government has an obligation to protect these children from those who would manipulate and abuse them.

So make sure their children attend public school, not homeschool.

1. I was only using the Iraq as an example. I am fully aware that it's up to the state government.

2. The (state) government controls the public school and the curriculum.

3. It isn't mind control.

1. That's kind of irrelevant to my point.

2. That's great, but when most of the kids are being home-schooled it wouldn't make any difference at all.

3. That's my point, they can't educated the kids without removing the parent from the equation (who would otherwise prevent the government from educating the kids properly).

It's easy to say "The government just needs to do its job" and sit back and talk about HOW the government should do its job but its hard, if not impossible, for the government to do its job without making somebody unhappy. In this situation the only way the government could do its job is to make the parents unhappy, which could mean anything from forcing the parents to send their kids to public education to completely removing the kids from that environment (thereby removing the parents from the equation).

And what happens when the parents refuse to send their children to public school? Exactly what we are talking about, the government takes the child from the parents.

3. That's my point, they can't educated the kids without removing the parent from the equation (who would otherwise prevent the government from educating the kids properly).

It's easy to say "The government just needs to do its job" and sit back and talk about HOW the government should do its job but its hard, if not impossible, for the government to do its job without making somebody unhappy. In this situation the only way the government could do its job is to make the parents unhappy, which could mean anything from forcing the parents to send their kids to public education to completely removing the kids from that environment (thereby removing the parents from the equation).

And what happens when the parents refuse to send their children to public school? Exactly what we are talking about, the government takes the child from the parents.

That's exactly what I am saying: the government needs to forcing parents to sent their kids to public school.

I can tell you the property ownership, occupance, and especially home title ownership laws in Texas are really screwy.

As far as the other issues -

This is another great example of what happens when people get too religious.

There is nothing wrong bad with someone believing that we are part of some grand plan.  Even though Im an atheist & follower of logic, reason, and science.

But when it is at the forefront of everything you do - you have problems.  Common sense, reason, and basic human needs are thrown out the window for holy dogma in all its convoluted forms.

• Like 2

That's exactly what I am saying: the government needs to forcing parents to sent their kids to public school.

Well here in the UK if your child does not attend school or they skip out to play (hooky) or what ever its called in usa the paretn can end up in prison.

And if the public school is rotten to the core and/or dangerous? This is why most Detroit kids are in academies, home schooled, using onlionline academies etc. Detroit's public schools are in state receivership and still resisting real change

Parents and kids need these options, not formulaic, failed solutions like many public schools are.

As to these kids: investigate and see if it's a real vs an assumed problem and act accordingly.

Think this through - think of all the problems this "forcing" would cause.

It doesnt matter if something is right or wrong, or justified.  The gov't cares about collateral damage, the political fallout from a bad decision that will hurt them @ election time.

That is the only thing politicians care about, period.

And if the public school is rotten to the core and/or dangerous? This is why most Detroit kids are in academies, home schooled, using onlionline academies etc. Detroit's public schools are in state receivership and still resisting real change

Parents and kids need these options, not formulaic, failed solutions like many public schools are.

As to these kids: investigate and see if it's a real vs an assumed problem and act accordingly.

Why do you think it is that Detroit's education system is resisting change ?

What does Detroit public school have to do with anything?

What does Detroit public school have to do with anything?

He is saying about the problem if the school system is horrible & homeschooling is a better option - where does the Gov't forcing public school enrollment help the situation

That's exactly what I am saying: forcing parents to sent their kids to public school.

Because forcing parents to do something never has any backlash whatsoever.

It's either going to end with the parents unhappy and possibly treating the kids even worse (due to their conflicting ideas of whats right and wrong), or the government taking the kids from the parents, leading back to the initial scenario.