9926 on Surface Pro 3

Has anyone installed 9926 on their Surface Pro 3 yet? I installed it, but I'm getting a continuous display driver failure and then reboot. I installed with the ISO from Windows 8.1, not by booting off of a USB drive. I'm trying that now, but I wondered if anyone else was having issues installing 9926 on their Surface Pro 3.

I'm currently installing it on my SP3 now, I'll post here if I have any issues with the latest build.

I did it and it works...biggest problems so far:

CPU usage is super high, the fan is constantly spinning.

Tablet mode is...well...usable, but not as great as in 8.1

• Like 3

Is it the apps or something about the persistent taskbar that dings the tablet mode in comparison to 8.1?

Can't speak to the SP3 but everything on my Asus t100 is too small. Touch feels clunky. 

Is it the apps or something about the persistent taskbar that dings the tablet mode in comparison to 8.1?

The taskbar and gestures. The apps side was a good way to switch apps quickly, but now taskview has replaced that and it's similar to how Android handled apps before Lollipop. It works, but it's not as efficient.

The taskbar and gestures. The apps side was a good way to switch apps quickly, but now taskview has replaced that and it's similar to how Android handled apps before Lollipop. It works, but it's not as efficient.

I actually like the switcher better than 8.1, I just wish it worked the same way (one swipe switched apps, swipe out and back pulled up the switcher)

• Like 1

I just installed build 9926  on my Surface Pro 3 and it worked well. However I can not play videos on YouTube. There seems to be a problem with Adobe Flash player or with my settings, I am not sure which yet.

Otherwise everything else seems to work well, so far.

YouTube is broken for me as well...

EDIT:  Actually, it's not Flash.  It's the built in MPEG-4 that seems to be broken as I can't play vines and other HTML5 videos either.

• Like 1

I just find the behavior weird. If you drag an app down to close you will go to the app you used last instead of start. And if you have closed all apps you see a tinted desktop in front of you where you can do nothing on. It is just weird and unnecessary to do more steps then before.

App switching however is very nice. And the taskbar is very cool...very fast way to switch apps.

I actually like the switcher better than 8.1, I just wish it worked the same way (one swipe switched apps, swipe out and back pulled up the switcher)

So the user can't quickly swipe through open apps anymore?

So the user can't quickly swipe through open apps anymore?

No, swiping from the left now opens taskview, you can't swipe through running apps.

I've installed it twice now, unusable for me completely. It pretty much locks up on my SP3 as soon as it loads into Windows.

Gabe Aul said on twitter that Surface needs updated drivers. Check windows update.

I can't even get logged in. Locked straight from the login screen. The only time it was usable was before the first restart after the second install. If I decide to try installing it again I'll check Windows Update before performing any restarts. Restored to 8.1 from backup image for now though.

I put it on mine, it worked ok, was reasonably stable,  i was a bit miffed i had to organise my start screen again.

I love how it switches between tablet and pc mode when you snap the keyboard on and off.

Then i noticed it was a bit more laggy than 8.1  the fan was always on and the battery was draining quicker.

I prefer the 8.1 full size start screen too on a tablet.  Sure its great to have a normal sized start menu in PC mode, but in tablet mode i'm not a fan of the tiny icons on the left, ir the vertical scrolling start page, with much smaller tiles.

I'm looking forward to the polished final version for my SP3  , but i'm running it happily on my desktop computer.

I did it and it works...biggest problems so far:

CPU usage is super high, the fan is constantly spinning.

Tablet mode is...well...usable, but not as great as in 8.1

I have this same problem with it installed on the Dell Venue 11 Pro, when you look at the processes do you see that the Windows Driver Foundation is taking up 80% of your CPU?

@Geoffrey (sorry citing in IE doesn't work somehow)

Could be, I never checked which process created the problem. It is much better now, but the Window Manager still goes crazy. i usually have at least 15% CPU usage....W8 was usually around 0 to 4%

Installed on my Surface Pro 3 i7 256gb from Windows 10 Build 9926 iso.

The graphics drivers are causing issues making the screen freeze at an interval until it forces a reboot.  This occurs at random and probably has a 9 out of 10 chance that you wont be able to login or will find it very hard to do anything due to the screen freezing and turning on and off. 

I was able to login once without graphics driver issues and was able to do a windows update. 

The update fixed the problem.

The other solution was to boot on safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers but that was not working for me because the graphics card would freeze the screen before I could do anything.  I just kept rebooting until I got in without it freezing and locking up. 

Hope this helps

I got it working today by uninstalling the latest graphics drivers from Windows 8. This left a driver from March 2014 in place and allowed me to perform an upgrade with no issues. Loving Windows 10 now on my Surface Pro 3 i7 256.

I've installed it twice now, unusable for me completely. It pretty much locks up on my SP3 as soon as it loads into WindowsDo .

Do you have start 8 on your machine?

If so delete it.

Had same issue until I uninstalled it.

Installed it on my Pro3 i5 128gig.

For me, I'll stop at 'it installed'.  The experience was not ready yet, though.  Among my problems, no Start screen and, worse, the backlight would not turn off even if I put the tablet in standby (using the button).  The only time the backlight turned off was when I powered off the tablet.  Gonna wait until the next revision and re-install.

(side note; the revert process was easy and super fast when done through Windows; it didn't work using the 'rollback' option on boot; no USB key required)