Texas Cops Jail Woman For

I imagine that threatening the officer with a false charge of sexual assault didn't help her position at all.

Female officers are normally called on when checking a female suspect for any contraband on their person.

Amazing how so many people are rushing to defend the cop and think of possible justifications. Cops abuse their authority all the time, this is nothing. Is it really so hard to believe her account?

Why must you always assume that the cops were right and upholding the law? This is exactly why so many cop criminals never even get prosecuted and get away with their crimes. It's pretty routine.

We've only heard one side of the story. She's innocent until proven guilty, but I would say her account of the events seems strange. As I posted earlier: why would a cop randomly grab a member of the public off the street and start accusing them some random crime? Why would she still be facing charges if she has provided proof she has a valid license with valid registration? A claim that hasn't been corroborated.

Showing scepticism isn't necessarily defending the cop. 

• Like 2

Nice troll. 

Cops should be held to a higher standard. Civilians aren't allowed to legally kill people, cops are.

And exactly where in the article does it state anything about anyone killing anybody?  This is about one civilian "claiming" she is innocent and did nothing wrong.  Witnesses and police statements/videos are completely missing.  Yet, you heard 33% of the story and are willing to pass judgement.  

They would never get away with this in PA.

We haven't turned into Nazi Germany yet.

How much you want to be that once the actual facts come out her story will be way off, would love to see the dashcam footage of this

The specific charges are "driving without a license"... it does NOT say driving without a valid license. You must carry your license on you when you are driving. It also doesn't say if it was valid registration for the specific vehicle she was driving.

And that requires evidence, which we haven't seen produced. Normally the person would be driving the car and the officer would have dashcam footage of the incident. Without that it's the word of the officer against the woman and nobody should accept that as evidence. We know that some officers trump up charges or simply make them up - it was recently revealed that 5% of officers account for 40% of resisting arrest charges, often to justify using excessive force during an arrest. Clearly some officers abuse their power.

And that requires evidence, which we haven't seen produced. 

The evidence is the peace officer seeing the person driving. The evidence is the car left at the store in the name of the person seen driving.

If i was the peace officer, I would just simply ask for the stores surveillance video of the parking lot and/or any cameras in the area.

And that requires evidence, which we haven't seen produced. Normally the person would be driving the car and the officer would have dashcam footage of the incident. Without that it's the word of the officer against the woman and nobody should accept that as evidence. We know that some officers trump up charges or simply make them up - it was recently revealed that 5% of officers account for 40% of resisting arrest charges, often to justify using excessive force during an arrest. Clearly some officers abuse their power.

I agree there is a great deal of evidence/facts that some officers do abuse their power, but when citing a study please be clear of the scope, this was for the New York PD, not nationally.  I realize you did not state it was an all encompassing study, but clarity is important in such contentious threads as these.

The evidence is the peace officer seeing the person driving. The evidence is the car left at the store in the name of the person seen driving.

If i was the peace officer, I would just simply ask for the stores surveillance video of the parking lot and/or any cameras in the area.

Where is the evidence she left a car at the store?  I may have missed that in the stories.

Other than her report of the incident, I have been unable to find any other information about this.  Speculation is all that can be added at this point.

Where is the evidence she left a car at the store?  I may have missed that in the stories.

You didn't miss it, because it's not there, because she wasn't driving a car at all.

Without evidence she shouldn't have been arrested. You can never just accept the word of an officer as the only evidence, as that will just lead to abuse.

I agree there is a great deal of evidence/facts that some officers do abuse their power, but when citing a study please be clear of the scope, this was for the New York PD, not nationally.  I realize you did not state it was an all encompassing study, but clarity is important in such contentious threads as these.

My point was that police officers abuse their power - the specifics are immaterial.

Without evidence she shouldn't have been arrested. You can never just accept the word of an officer as the only evidence, as that will just lead to abuse.

My point was that police officers abuse their power - the specifics are immaterial.

Of course, a point we are all aware of, and specifics are important, you used that link to support yours.   

We've only heard one side of the story. She's innocent until proven guilty, but I would say her account of the events seems strange. As I posted earlier: why would a cop randomly grab a member of the public off the street and start accusing them some random crime? Why would she still be facing charges if she has provided proof she has a valid license with valid registration? A claim that hasn't been corroborated.

Showing scepticism isn't necessarily defending the cop. 

This is Neowin.  Cops are guilty until proven innocent, civilians are innocent no matter what.

You can never just accept the word of an officer as the only evidence, as that will just lead to abuse.

There is other evidence,  but you are choosing not to include it. With all your other posts, it always seem like you take a position of victim when dealing with authority. I am surprised you don't see that.

There is other evidence,  but you are choosing not to include it.

If there was evidence I would have expected that to be presented and for this to be an open and shut case, which we haven't seen. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if she was driving without a licence but it can't just be the officer's word against hers. Then again, the source article is basically just a link to her testimony so it's quite likely we don't have the full picture.

I'm going to hazard a guess that there's more to this story than she's letting on.

For a cop to do a random U-Turn on someone walking and then ask where her car is, seems far fetched to me. Then for her to immediately gets defensive is unreasonable.

I'm not buying her story in the least.

This is Neowin.  Cops are guilty until proven innocent, civilians are innocent no matter whaty

I know you're trying to be funny and a smart-ass, but in real life our govt hold civilians without even charging them, and admits they can't find anything to charge them with, for decades. Take a look sometime at officer involved incidents incl lethal shootings, which go up every year, and how many of them go scot free without even being charged.

There is no 'innocent until proven guilty' in this country anymore, esp if you are the target of a witch hunt.

There is zero evidence, only speculation from some posters here, that the woman was driving a car. 

And wtf is with calling them 'peace officers' ??

For a cop to do a random U-Turn on someone walking and then ask where her car is, seems far fetched to me. Then for her to immediately gets defensive is unreasonable.

I'm not buying her story in the least.

If you are confronted by a cop for absolutely no reason who starts threatening you, OF COURSE you are going to get defensive. How the hell is that unreasonable?

I know you're trying to be funny and a smart-ass, but in real life our govt hold civilians without even charging them, and admits they can't find anything to charge them with, for decades. Take a look sometime at officer involved incidents incl lethal shootings, which go up every year, and how many of them go scot free without even being charged.

There is no 'innocent until proven guilty' in this country anymore, esp if you are the target of a witch hunt.

I am not trying to be funny, it is the truth.  Read any topic regarding police and civilians and you will see it.

Cop related shootings on the rise has nothing to do with the truth, and Neowinians more often than not judge without hearing both sides.