New Sony Blu-ray player & old Netflix acct_Do I need Sony Essentials

I have an existing Netflix acct.  Got a new Sony blu-ray / DVD with streaming ability for Netflix (has a Netflix button on the Sony remote).

1) Do I really need to create a "Sony Essentials Account" with the new player, just to use an existing Netflix account?

The answer may be yes (but why?).

2) Is there any way to bypass creating the sony essentials acct & go straight to the existing Netflix (I would have to enter this new player's device ID, under my Netflix acct).

All the instructions I've read on Sony's site & several non-Sony sites, say you MUST 1st create the Sony Essentials acct, then you'll be able to access your existing Netflix acct (from the Sony player).

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=526&template_id=1

If I don't plan on using an Sony content, why does Netflix care if I have a Sony Essentials acct?

Thanks.

Not sure on that one but as a side note I hate crap like this, Especially Sony!!

The most recent one I got a call saying its asking for my Live ID and password it was a Call of Duty "account" underhanded tactics from unscrupulous company's.

It's been a while since we registered a new connected Sony BR deck, they're lasting forever, but IIRC the registration is also for the embedded deck firmware and content apps, including Crackle - which is owned by Sony and has free movie streams.

Once linked these apps and the players firmware get regularly updated over the net. We have one BR deck that dates back a few years and it just received new firmware and additional apps just a few weeks ago. Good support IMO.