Let's vote for Spartan

Ditching it completely, as in, ditching that Trident garbage altogether? Absolutely! :laugh:

I seriously doubt they can still improve it much (branching it or not), it's just too badly broken. As they already have separated the old IE engine as a separate mode, they could simply do a Webkit branch for the new one: greatly improved standards compliance, speed and security and much less work than trying to turn trident into anything half-way decent.

I seriously doubt you know anything about the web.

• Like 2

Ditching it completely, as in, ditching that Trident garbage altogether? Absolutely! :laugh:

I seriously doubt they can still improve it much (branching it or not), it's just too badly broken. As they already have separated the old IE engine as a separate mode, they could simply do a Webkit branch for the new one: greatly improved standards compliance, speed and security and much less work than trying to turn trident into anything half-way decent.

Nothing wrong with Trident as it stands now. 

No. "Spartan" is the cheesiest name for a browser i've ever heard (well OK, it's one of the cheesiest).

By all means give it a trendy name but keep IE in there somewhere, so if they were going to go with "Spartan" make it "IE Spartan" or "Spartan IE".

Ditching the IE brand (no matter how negative the connotations) is a silly idea. Especially as it's starting to climb out of it's predecessors wrong doings and make a new name for itself.

Ditching the IE brand is the smartest idea ever. The brand is poisoned. No matter what they do, people will always think of IE as garbage. The new browser definitely deserves a new name.

After a few days thinking on it, ditching the IE brand may be a good idea to distinguish the new start (and help people tell which version they are using. And get "clueless" users to switch). Possibly also ditching the version numbering, like Chrome and Firefox have already done - keep everyone up to date on the latest browsers and security/compatibility patches.

As for what to change it to... Spartan wouldn't be the worst. Both "Chrome" and "Firefox" were mocked as being weird, but they worked their way into our daily speech.

It should be distinct and easy to spell or search for, in many languages, so some of the names on the poll are rejected right there. "Spartan" might be overly generic, there are a lot of things named Spartan.