Main site page is not showing properly in IE8

When using IE8 (work laptop, so not up to me), the main page is not showing quite right (both before and after signing in).

OqhrNUXl.png

66URGPAl.png

Further, IE complains with the following:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; chromeframe/26.0.1410.67; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:16:04 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 17953
Code: 0
URI: https://www.neowin.net/js/orion/scripts.min.js?ver=0

Line: 1
Char: 16381
Code: 0
URI: https://www.neowin.net/js/orion/scripts.min.js?ver=0

I'm using Chrome instead, so not the end of the world, but thought that it may be worth bringing to your attention.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that is by design. IE8 is an outdated browser that can't really handle the new code. Your company doesn't have a way of requesting a browser update? We're finally giving IE 8 the boot later this year where I'm working.

• Like 2

Surely, Neowin isn't the only site you see that at with that ancient browser?

I know you said you were on a work laptop, so, may not be able to browse all over the net, but those type issues just on this site would be hard to believe.

I believe it's this way on purpose.

Still, a message stating something along the lines of:

"You are using Internet Explorer 8. This Web browser was released in March 2009 and support ended for it by Microsoft in [date] and is not fully compatible with Neowin. Please update to Internet Explorer 11 or higher here."

... wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that is by design. IE8 is an outdated browser that can't really handle the new code. Your company doesn't have a way of requesting a browser update? We're finally giving IE 8 the boot later this year where I'm working.

Surely, Neowin isn't the only site you see that at with that ancient browser?

I know you said you were on a work laptop, so, may not be able to browse all over the net, but those type issues just on this site would be hard to believe.

I am quite happily using Chrome instead. It's just something that I noticed that I thought may be worth addressing. I try to avoid IE, irrespective of version, if I can help it.

Our company banished IE8 a year and a half ago. Our standard is presently IE9, with a company-wide upgrade to IE11 with Enterprise Mode on the cards by March this year.  And given the rumours that IE11 will be the last ever version of IE (the rumour goes that Windows 10 will only have IE11 as an optional extra, with Spartan being default), I'm fairly pleased that this will be our last ever IE upgrade.