Windows users: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 10 after its release?

148 members have voted

1. 1. Windows users: Are you going to update to Windows 10 after its release?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure yet.
    • I'm moving to another operating system entirely.
  2. 2. Which Windows version are you currently running:

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8.x
    • Other Windows version (specify below)

I doubt I go back to 8 on my SP3. The builds should just get more stable from here. I'll wait until final release to upgrade my desktop though as the stability issues, while not terrible, are there still.

A lot of laptops with AMD Mobility HD 5xxx cards will not be able to make the jump because of an AMD bug which causes Windows 8.1 / 10 to bootloop.

If they get around to fixing it ....

I think you mean Mobility HD 4xxx - those are the ones unable to use current Catalyst/Omega drivers.  HD5xxx and later (including their Mobility counterparts) should use the current Omega drivers.

I actually HAVE an HD5450 - it is both a Mobility part and a desktop part.  (In desktop trim, it is typically used in SFF, HTPC, and silent configurations because it has entirely-passive options - as in no fan at all.)

HD5xxx is also the lowest part that can use the Omega Catalyst drivers (which replaces both the Catalyst and Vision driver series for currently-supported standalone and integrated AMD GPUs and iGPU chipsets).

If you have HD5xxx or newer - including Mobility - upgrade to the current Omega drivers.

HTPC - running 7.  It really depends on if Windows 10 has Media Center.  I need it to record TV shows.

Main notebook - running 7.  Probably

Desktop - running 7.  Unsure

el cheapo notebook - running 8.1.  Yep

Only if I can completely remove or disable "onedrive" and "syncing". I don't need this and I don't care about it. What I like is simply a modernized and stable windows os. I don't care about modern apps, neither do I use any of them. A start menu like stardocks is sufficient for my needs.

I think you mean Mobility HD 4xxx - those are the ones unable to use current Catalyst/Omega drivers.  HD5xxx and later (including their Mobility counterparts) should use the current Omega drivers.

I actually HAVE an HD5450 - it is both a Mobility part and a desktop part.  (In desktop trim, it is typically used in SFF, HTPC, and silent configurations because it has entirely-passive options - as in no fan at all.)

HD5xxx is also the lowest part that can use the Omega Catalyst drivers (which replaces both the Catalyst and Vision driver series for currently-supported standalone and integrated AMD GPUs and iGPU chipsets).

If you have HD5xxx or newer - including Mobility - upgrade to the current Omega drivers.

No no I mean PXAI devices (AMD + Intel) Mobility 5xxx in conjunction with first gen Intel HD Graphics causing a bootloop with drivers newer than 14.4 on Windows 8.1 and 10. (8.1 being a major graphics back-end rewrite by MS)

Single GPU devices are not affected. Neither is Windows 7.

So if you have a desktop HD5xxx you are fine. But if you have an Intel + AMD Mobility 5xxx config .....

I all honesty you'd be a total fool to not upgrade if you are running ANY version of Windows, unless it's so poor it cannot run it, then get a new system 

I'll be upgrading the 8.1 and 7 systems I have for sure, hope the price for older systems is good, I have one old work pc still on vista I want to upgrade.

Yes the very first day I can. I have a Dell tower running Win 7.  And another Dell Inspiron that came with 8.1 that I will.  Curious if you can download the upgrade as a stand alone?

Sticking with Windows 7.

I made the decision yesterday after I ######ed up my computer and updated the bios for compatibility which caused more issues going back. lol. Did a re-image.

I want to start a business and update my certs by next summer and I made a decision I will decide then. All changes for the sake of change or benefits carry risks. At work we use IMAC (Install, move, add, change) as a conservative mantra to not get with the times which I know would ###### off certain neowinners :-)

So it carries risk but offers no benefits for me right now. So Windows 7 will stay so I can avoid risk and have a stable computer and not waste all my nights and weekends fixing stuff. 

This August I will make a decision then to go to Windows 10 after I get my MCSA (MCSE) or e-comm website going. If games go directX 12. If my e-com site needs Spartan testing, if Office 2015 is tollerable, if Visual Studio 2015 nice for my webwork?? Then I will upgrade. 

I will probably wait to 1 year from now after this checklist is met and all the bugs are stomped. Windows 7 is older now but is still considered modern, fast, and gorgeous with aero, gradients, and no flat crap, and runs all my stuff just fine. Need for change is not justified at this time.

PC: Yes - Things are looking really good for desktop users based on my experience with the Windows 10 preview so far.

Tablet: No - Based on how the Windows 10 preview currently is on tablets, however I hope for a vast improvement by the time Windows 10 is released so ill reserve judgement for now. (Lots of feedback has been submitted)

Home Theater PC: Depends - If Windows Media Centre is included with Windows 10 then I don't see why not. If not then no as it would be a pointless upgrade.

It's free so yes.

I regret buying Windows 8 because I think 7 was and indeed is better for me. Therefore if 10 was the same price (I paid

Making a determination on "how the TP currently works" is rather pointless. It isn't near complete, much less optimized.

With 8.1, I'm really amazed it was optional at all, much less not even in the Windows Update distributions. With 10, I see how it would be optional, but not really advisable...

Settled? You still run XP?

Only one left with XP. Office PC with Quickbooks. Two older laptops with Vista.  The rest is a mix of 7 pro and 8 pro. I want all pro because I am going to manage it with Server 2012 Essentials.