How much would you pay for Microsoft Hololens?

How much would you pay for Microsoft Hololens?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for Microsoft Hololens?

• $2,000 +
    • $1,500
    • $1,000
    • $950
    • $900
    • $850
    • $800
    • $750
    • $700
    • $650
    • $600
    • $550
    • $500
    • $450
    • $400
    • $350
    • $300
    • $250
    • $200
    • $150
    • $100
    • Under $100
    • I would never buy Microsoft Hololens

After seeing Microsoft Hololens, depending on how much it will cost when it's released, how much would it be for you to still buy it? I think I'd drop $500 on it... I'd probably be able to deduct it :laugh:

Not a gotta-have-it item for me... but I'd probably put a few hundred down for it. Never been big on VR/AR headsets and such, although the HoloLens is pretty interesting.

$200 or less or it will fail, look at Google Glass, and it's way less conspicuous than this 

Google glass was intentionally made $1500 so that only enthusiast will buy it. It was not a consumer product.

But i would make a guess that hololens would be expensive and would aim at professionals rather than consumer.

Glass and HoloLens aren't really the same type of device either. One's a peripheral, one's essentially a phone in a different form. Be like comparing Glass to Oculus.. apples and oranges.

Not more than $500 right now.  Would have to do something to get me to pay more than that.  Looks better suited for the business market right now anyway.  But things could change depending on what is done with it and if I find a use for it in my everyday life down the road.  I just have to many things I paid money for that are collecting dust.  Want to make sure I would gets lots of use.

$2500 - if it already had the capabilities in the video.

That would be a small price to pay for something so cool with so much potential.

As long as whatever software upgrades would be free.

$350 + Minecraft (i.e. the current price of an Xbox One bundle) will see this thing absolutely fly off the shelves. Kinect sales will pale in comparison. 

$450-500 + Minecraft more likely (I bet this thing costs a fortune to manufacture) and I think it will still do very well - PS4 launch sales equivalent.

>$500 will still be successful, wouldn't care to guess how well. I might buy it at this price if the demos are amazing and I can see a clear use for the device. 

>$1500 will be less of a success in the consumer market but devs and scientists will still race to buy these things, especially if anticipated/promised that MS will release a cheaper version for mass-market release within a year or so. 

Glass and HoloLens aren't really the same type of device either. One's a peripheral, one's essentially a phone in a different form. Be like comparing Glass to Oculus.. apples and oranges.

They ARE the same type of device.  They're both AR headsets.  What do you think HoloLens is a peripheral for?  It doesn't require a PC or an XBox or anything.  It's a stand alone device, it has it's own CPU and everything.  Just like Google Glass ran a customized version of Android HoloLens runs a customized version of Windows 10.

The big difference is Google made Glass with the idea of you wearing it around all the time.  So they had to make it tiny and they put a mobile OS on it.  HoloLens is enormous in comparison but that size gives it a much more capable OS and much more capable hardware.  You aren't supposed to wear HoloLens as you walk around in your day to day life though.  You'll put it on, do something, then take it off and go about your business.

Google Glass is like a PlayStation Vita and HoloLens is like a PS4. (sorry a Sony analogy was easier because there is no Xbox mobile gaming system).  They're both still game consoles.

The big difference is Google made Glass with the idea of you wearing it around all the time.

And you just nailed it on the head why they're not the same. One's a peripheral (IE, a device like your monitor/keyboard/etc) that gets used when needed, one's a "personal assistant" like your phone and gets carted everywhere you go. Just because you put it on your head doesn't make it the same thing, no more is a crash helmet or night vision goggles like Glass. Worn similarly, totally different uses. Not the same, at all.

As a developer I'd pay $500 for it personally.  But I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for up to say $1500 for it if they want to limit it to developers. (I just don't have a need to make it worth that much to me personally).  Anything over $1500 and I think they're out of their minds.

If they want mass consumer adoption though and not just developers and enthusiasts I think they're somehow going to have to get the price under $200.  Maybe that means it will have to be niche for a generation or two while it builds up an ecosystem and the tech becomes cheaper.

It really is cool tech though I just don't think the average consumer has hundreds of dollars to drop on something they're not even sure what they use it for.

This is the first gadget that i've wanted in a REALLY long time.

I can see paying $500-1000 for it. Perhaps even more if they increased the abilities and features.

This thing is simply outstanding.

And you just nailed it on the head why they're not the same. One's a peripheral (IE, a device like your monitor/keyboard/etc) that gets used when needed, one's a "personal assistant" like your phone and gets carted everywhere you go. Just because you put it on your head doesn't make it the same thing, no more is a crash helmet or night vision goggles like Glass. Worn similarly, totally different uses. Not the same, at all.

I don't know what you think "peripheral" means but it means something along the lines of "attachment" or "add-on".  Your monitor and keyboard are peripherals for your computer.  You attach them to the computer (even if wirelessly, it doesn't have to be physical).  Your gamepad is a peripheral for a console.  A peripheral is a device that doesn't function on it's own.  It's used to gather input (keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick), present output (monitor, printers, etc), provide storage (external drive), for another device.  As such the HoloLens is NOT a peripheral because it doesn't need to connect to anything.  It's a stand alone device, just like google glass.

Both Google Glass and HoloLens are AR (Augmented Reality) devices.  Both are "glasses" you wear that project virtual images into the view of their wearer.  This differs from (VR) Virtual Reality in that VR entirely replaces the users view so they can no longer see the surrounding world.

Your helmet vs. night vision glasses analogy doesn't even make sense.  It's more like they're both helmets but Google Glass is a helmet for an epileptic to wear all the time in case of a seizure and HoloLens is a Motorcycle helmet you just put on when you're on the bike.  They're both still helmets even though they're used quite differently.

I don't see the price being sub 200$.. but that's about really all I could afford. If this could do what they showed (AR Netflix on any flat surface) I could see that being really cool.  Be awesome if it could AR any video screen, wireless hdmi? then no need for a TV just wear the headset to play games, watch movies, etc on a bigger screen than I could afford TV wise.

• 2 months later...

I think any gamer would want a Hololens thanks to there being an AR Cortana Hologram for it that can allow you to pretend to be Master Chief! Even I would want it for that! And maybe even more.

It really depends what they end up actually shipping and how much it does (going beyond gaming to extending workspace etc)... probably about as much as a high end video card? Can't really tell with how little information we have, but they definitely have my interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Could not select any option, sorry Warwagon. :p This is a flawed question. I'd pay as much as it costs.

A better way to ask it was will you buy it if costs more than $1000. Or if it is over $500. Rather than telling me every possible price.

$5000 if it can do full field of view holograms but if it's limited like I hear, maybe $999 at most

I don't want to see cortana in a small rectangle.

This is the first gadget that i've wanted in a REALLY long time.I can see paying $500-1000 for it. Perhaps even more if they increased the abilities and features.This thing is simply outstanding.

Exactly. And even the beta version seems so polished.

But I am wondering if the novelty will wear off, and it will be ruthlessly mocked and tank like the Google Glass. Because lot of people swore it was the future and how it will be the next big thing. I too believed that for a while.

Not really interested in it so unless it was really cheap, <$100, I wouldn't consider it.

Maybe someday things like Hololens and Cortana will be useful but for the time being they're toys that quickly lose their appeal.

As a 3D designer with support from Maya this 'could' be great, but unless its under $500AU, I won't be getting one.