Photo

Should Microsoft release Surface tablets with Bay Trail/Atom?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2015 - 23:04

So now that Microsoft has discontinued the ARM-based Surface 2 devices, shouldn't Microsoft replace it with an x86 Surface tablet running Intel Bay Trail/Atom devices?

Sure, the Surface Pro line is great, but not everyone can pay $800 + Type Cover for a computer.

Surface running Bay Trail/Atom would be cheap enough to replace the replace the Surface 2 while not having the drawback of the Surface 2 (namely, not being able to run Win32 apps).

#2 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 January 2015 - 23:06

Yes, they should make a Surface Mini:

Spoiler

#3 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:44

Hello,

While I personally would like to own a Mini Surface, I think it would be difficult for Microsoft to compete at that end of the market.  Consumers are very  sensitive to price, and it would be tough to compete against $60 Windows 8.1 tablets.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#4 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:23

If anything, a Surface mini (or Surface BT) should be priced at $99USD or even $129USD - above the lower-end Windows 8/10 tablets we are seeing today.

In short, mini/BT in this space should be what Surface Pro is in the notebook/tablet space - a premium/signature device (however, because it will be running 8.1/10, it can do so without being gimped, OR have the high-end price).  If anything, mini/BT will compete with refurbished notebooks and even some refurbished desktops - along with the iPad mini and iPad Air (at $129USD, it would, in fact, severely undercut the Air AND the mini).  Basically, mini/BT would take on the iPad heads-up, which the original RT was unable to do.

#5 OP illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2015 - 16:27

I highly doubt that Microsoft is going to enter the ~$100 cutthroat market. If Microsoft is going to make a cheaper Suface, it's going to cost somewhere between $300 and $500 depending on the model.

#6 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:22

Hello,

I just bought this $60 Windows 8.1 tablet (actually more like $75 after adding a case and S&H).  As illegaloperation noted, Microsoft would start competing at a price-range starting at 5× that price.  I just don't see a Mini Surface coming along to try and compete with the iPad Mini 3 ($400-730).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#7 domboy

domboy

Neowinian

Posted 28 January 2015 - 14:24

Why all the hype over a Surface mini? Such a device would just be a glorified phone since with Windows 10 devices 8" and smaller will run the phone OS. But maybe that's what you guys want. Besides, the OP isn't even talking about such things, he's suggesting a 10" Surface to replace the Surface RT/2 but using Atom instead of an ARM cpu. And I think that would be really nice... I'm one of those that would love a Surface Pro 3 but I can't really afford it right now (same reason I bought an RT a few years ago). After seeing what the Asus T100 (Atom CPU) can do, it would be nice that have similar internals in the Surface form.

#8 OP illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:20

Why all the hype over a Surface mini? Such a device would just be a glorified phone since with Windows 10 devices 8" and smaller will run the phone OS. But maybe that's what you guys want. Besides, the OP isn't even talking about such things, he's suggesting a 10" Surface to replace the Surface RT/2 but using Atom instead of an ARM cpu. And I think that would be really nice... I'm one of those that would love a Surface Pro 3 but I can't really afford it right now (same reason I bought an RT a few years ago). After seeing what the Asus T100 (Atom CPU) can do, it would be nice that have similar internals in the Surface form.

That's exactly what I am saying: Surface 2-like hardware with Intel Atom processor.