Should Microsoft release Surface tablets with Bay Trail/Atom?

randomevent, on 25 Mar 2015 - 21:43, said:

If it's Cherry Trail  as expected I might see the point.  Bay Trail not so much.

Cherry Trail is a die shrink of Bay Trail with improved graphics.

Additionally, Cherry Trail isn't even out yet.

It is almost certain that the next Surface would ship with the Intel Atom x7.

Hopefully, there're also LTE variations of the Surface.

nexus2cee_image26.jpg

Absolutely. I'd like a cheap Windows tablet to play about with and those bay trail tablets are pretty capable for what they cost. I'd very much like to see Microsoft release a budget oriented surface.

Microsoft should sell tablet with this specs for $499.

Intel Atom/Bay Trail quad-core 1.49 GHz

2 GB DDR3 RAM

32 GB internal storage

10.1 inch display

3.5 MP front/5.0 MP rear camera

Such a device is available (without rear camera). It's called Asus T100 Transformer. And for $329. I own one. It's great for travel. Over 10 hours battery life.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/429442/ASUS-Transformer-2-in-1-Laptop/

I also own this little guy which I got for $99 on Black Friday. But that is not a tablet. I love it. The slightly bigger size makes a big difference for the keyboard.

Such a device is available (without rear camera). It's called Asus T100 Transformer. And for $329. I own one. It's great for travel. Over 10 hours battery life.

I guess Microsoft could throw in more memory and more storage because it has been 1.5 year since the Surface 2 was released and both the prices of RAM and flash memory has come down quite a bit.

Throw in Intel Cherry Trail and N-Trig digitizer and wholla...  Surface 3.

Pretty sure the average consumer has no idea about CPU code names. 

MS should upgrade the Surface line when it makes sense, not when nerds crack the ###### because the latest CPUs aren't in there.

Jared-, on 30 Mar 2015 - 17:31, said:

Pretty sure the average consumer has no idea about CPU code names. 

MS should upgrade the Surface line when it makes sense, not when nerds crack the ###### because the latest CPUs aren't in there.

Well, Microsoft doesn't have a budget Surface on the market at the moment, so it's not just not having the latest CPUs.

It may be coming: http://www.winbeta.org/news/exclusive-microsoft-building-successor-surface-2-rt-here-are-first-details

So a quick roundup:

• Microsoft is building a successor to the Surface 2 (RT)
  • It will be ATOM or Intel Core M based, running full-Windows (not Windows RT)
  • Will be marketed as an non-pro device
  • Fanless
  • Pre-loaded with Windows 8.1, upgradable to Windows 10
  • Announcement before/at BUILD

Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:Stokkolm, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:37, said:

I know. I started this thread before the news came out.

It's going to pack Intel Cherry Trail.

https://twitter.com/ZacB_/status/581440017505083392

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-reveal-new-surface-tablet-build-2015

Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:Open Minded, on 30 Mar 2015 - 21:41, said:

The Core M would be a better choice.

Intel Core M would be better, but it cost $200-$260 more than Intel Atom.