Meet Vivaldi, a new browser from the former CEO of Opera

Well i've no beef with the engine, if it somehow enhances funcionality like old opera did, i'm all for it.  In old opera (before the engine change) you had mouse and keyboard gestures, these got lost in translation to chromium.

uh, no, opera still has gestures, I think rocker gestures are missing though

Otter. Fifth. Now Vivaldi.

"Opera based on WebKit is bad. Let's build a better Opera based on WebKit!"

Sigh. Diversity is sooo 90s...?

the engine was never what made opera unique or great., it was the over lying functions. sure the engine was great to, but sites kept making broken exceptions for it.

• Like 2

the engine was never what made opera unique or great., it was the over lying functions. sure the engine was great to, but sites kept making broken exceptions for it.

I disagree, as the engine provided Opera the ability to run on really old hardware, run 50+ Tabs with a feel of only 1 Tab opened. No other browser engine could and still can't do that, not even close. Opera was incredible symbiosis between function, customizability, lightness, versatility and speed.

I disagree, as the engine provided Opera the ability to run on really old hardware, run 50+ Tabs with a feel of only 1 Tab opened.

This. I can't understand why 1% faster rendering has to come at the cost of a maximum of 15 open tabs in WebKit/Blink. Even Internet Explorer handles this better.

I'm quite curious about Vivaldi though... who knows what it'll turn into. Probably abandonware with 50 users, but one can hope. Also, keep in mind that this is a 'technical preview', so nothing is finished including the UI.

I disagree, as the engine provided Opera the ability to run on really old hardware, run 50+ Tabs with a feel of only 1 Tab opened. No other browser engine could and still can't do that, not even close. Opera was incredible symbiosis between function, customizability, lightness, versatility and speed.

in my experience memory usage wasn't any better on opera than other browsers, it had higher CPU usage though not much but slightly and the memory usage was in fat slightly higher than most(except FF that's just horrible) due to the instant back and other features.

the higher memory and CPU was with it due to the features they brought though.

the one thing I do miss from old opera though, it actually had separate process per tab BUT it only had one process in task manager. the 50 chrome and opera and 1-5IE processes all over my task manager is driving me nuts, and is so unnecessary, and in fact counter productive.

YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!

YESS!!!!

Oh man, I can't believe what my eyes are seeing!!!! :o :o :o 

Opera is back... IS BACK!

I'm crying right now :cry:

Anyways, thumbnail tabs was for me the ultimate tool from Opera 10+ I'm really glad they have implemented this! Also, tab grouping was a killer feature. 

Never knew why in Opera 27 we didn't have those features!!

Thanks thanks thanks thanks!

YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! YESSSS!!!

why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

• Like 3

YESS!!!!

Oh man, I can't believe what my eyes are seeing!!!! :o :o :o

Opera is back... IS BACK!

I'm crying right now :cry:

Anyways, thumbnail tabs was for me the ultimate tool from Opera 10+ I'm really glad they have implemented this! Also, tab grouping was a killer feature. 

Never knew why in Opera 27 we didn't have those features!!

Thanks thanks thanks thanks!

Calm down. It's only a web browser.

• Like 2

Calm down. It's only a web browser.

It's THE web Browser.

The difference is that when the Beta, RC, and RTW come out will see a finished product power user oriented. I have yet to discover lots of Opera 12.17 hidden features. From torrent downloads to ctrl click images.

Also, I have lots and lots of tabs that accumulate because I have lacked the visual feedback of Opera 10-12.17. Firefox, and Opera can stack up 50 tabs (combined, in worst case scenario, which happened thrice) (when I'm googling a lot and reading neowin, softpedia, engadget)

Something that didn't happen to me previously (it's more a psychological effect)

Was a big fan of Opera before they changed direction. It's a good start, hopefully they implement private tabs in the future rather than having to open a private window. And hopefully they make it easy to customise as well, really liked the easy way you could add custom buttons and menu items.

Was a big fan of Opera before they changed direction. It's a good start, hopefully they implement private tabs in the future rather than having to open a private window. And hopefully they make it easy to customise as well, really liked the easy way you could add custom buttons and menu items.

Hope that as well. I feel that this time we can have the poweruser oriented browser we've been lacking for past years. I feel that this people WILL listen, and feel it that way.

There's lot of work to do, but even at this early stage is shaping up nicely. It will be a welcome addition :)

Oh, and about the brand name... Naming it Vivaldi makes lots of sense

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Vivaldi

He is known mainly for composing many instrumental concertos, for the violin and a variety of other instruments, as well as sacred choral works and more than forty operas. His best-known work is a series of violin concertos known as The Four Seasons.

Glad to know that .exe files downloaded can be "Opened" and are not saved immediately to the drive. Never knew why this wasn't a security concern at all from Webkit, Blink based browsers.

I miss the old Opera...Such a great browser with a LOT of options! It had a lot of options, ran quickly. Had it installed on all my computers.

Now...I'm using Firefox, with a bunch of extensions to get back the feel of Opera..But it's not the same..

Taking a quick look at this browser, it's already better than the latest Opera lol

Hope they bring back all the poweruser options..

I hate the freakin bookmark manager it's sooooooo ugly and a pain to use... give me a classic pulldown plox!

I'm currently using it, just not as my main browser, it's quite fast, however, it's missing a lot that other browsers have, like paste & go, and if you enter a URL manually or pasting it in, you have to hit [Enter], as there's no go-like button.

I know it's still in the early stages, but these features should've been there.