Gunman killed after shooting 2 officers at Minnesota city hall

Two police officers were shot after leaving a swearing-in ceremony at a suburban Minneapolis city hall Monday night before the gunman was killed by another officer.

Hennepin County Sheriff's Office chief deputy Mike Carlson said the shooting happened at around 7:15 p.m. local time. The newly sworn-in officers and others were leaving the New Hope city council chambers when they encountered a man armed with a "long gun," Carlson said at a news conference.

The man opened fire and struck two New Hope police officers, Carlson said. Other officers immediately returned fire, killing the gunman, he said. It was not immediately clear whether the wounded officers had just been sworn in or were veterans of the force.

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/27/gunman-killed-after-shooting-2-officers-at-minnesota-city-hall/

Seeing as how the bad guy got off the first shots, let's see what kind of racism/riot or some other type crap can come out of this!

Absolutely ridiculous how much of this kind of stuff we are hearing about now a days. :(

Just going to hear more and more about these things.  We live in a society where a few bad people of a group/race = the whole group/race is the same way and must be feared or dealt with.

So was it a black dude?

The sooner people stop caring about the answer to that, the sooner we can get rid of the racist theories around these scenarios.

It doesn't matter what colour their skin was, which country they was born in etc etc. What matters is that people are dead because of one persons actions.

The sooner people stop caring about the answer to that, the sooner we can get rid of the racist theories around these scenarios.

Exactly. Race is immaterial in this instance - the man had a gun and shot at officers. However, it's different when you're talking about institutionalised racism, where ethnic minorities are targeted disproportionately by the police because of their race. As long as people are discriminated against because of their race it will always be a factor.

One of the councilmen pulled his own firearm in case the shooter got through to the council chambers.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/shooting-city-council-meeting-minnesota-28513098

Cilvians pulling out a gun is always a risk so thank God he didn't shoot himself or an innocent bystander...

Cilvians pulling out a gun is always a risk so thank God he didn't shoot himself or an innocent bystander...

Odds are he's more skilled than many cops.

A Newsweek report said cops are about 5x more likely to shoot a bystander than a civilian defender is, 11 to 2 percent of shootings respectively hitting an innocent. Largely due to a infrequent or non-existant recertification standards in many departments. A lot of cops couldn't hit the broad side of a bulls ass.

Only for people who can't spell civilians...

If the guys gets a permit to carry and training it is a pretty safe bet he won't shoot himself or an innocent bystander.  I would guess if you were locked in that room with a gunman outside you would be glad that man had a gun.

So was it a black dude?

raymond-kmetz.jpg?w=620&h=352&crop=1

So who wants to bet that he is a christian conservative anti-gay anti-government endtimes prepper ?

The difference is I wont blame glenn beck for this rampage, But if he was black oh boy then its a different story we can blame rap music, We can blame his parents, We can blame well pretty much anything right!

Odds are he's more skilled than many cops.

A Newsweek report said cops are about 5x more likely to shoot a bystander than a civilian defender is, 11 to 2 percent of shootings respectively hitting an innocent. Largely due to a infrequent or non-existant recertification standards in many departments. A lot of cops couldn't hit the broad side of a bulls ass.

I was more referring to the councilman accidently firing the gun then a defense. We are just ignoring gun accidents? It seems every day you read another story about a bystander being shoot by a friend, family member, or Bubba deer hunting. Personally, I rather not have random people walking around with guns when in public spaces.

I was more referring to the councilman accidently firing the gun then a defense. We are just ignoring gun accidents? It seems every day you read another story about a bystander being shoot by a friend, family member, or Bubba deer hunting. Personally, I rather not have random people walking around with guns when in public spaces.

And statistically they are still rare. Rarer than many other consumer product injuries.

But then headlines about some guy dying from a tipped over lawn tractor, or falling off his roof, doesn't rile the same emotions - which in turn sells more papers and scores political points for favored agendas.

Have you seen some people drive?  Do we take away their cars and cell phones?

Only for people who can't spell civilians...

If the guys gets a permit to carry and training it is a pretty safe bet he won't shoot himself or an innocent bystander.  I would guess if you were locked in that room with a gunman outside you would be glad that man had a gun.

Gee, I guess you had no argument so had to point out my misspelling? Sorry, spell check doesn't work in the Neowin forums so I sincerely apologize for missing that...

Training? Who knows, which was the point of my comment.

Gee, I guess you had no argument so had to point out my misspelling? Sorry, spell check doesn't work in the Neowin forums so I sincerely apologize for missing that...

Training? Who knows, which was the point of my comment.

There is no argument.  Why be afraid of someone with the ability to protect himself and the others around him.  If he had a permit to carry, he has had training.  Just sick of everyone being afraid of guns.

Have you seen some people drive?  Do we take away their cars and cell phones?

Huh? Who said anything about taking away people's guns?

Huh? Who said anything about taking away people's guns?

You didn't.  My point was I would feel safer in that room with that man and his gun than I do on the road to work every morning.  Way better chance that some "civilian" with a car and cell phone will injure or kill me.  There are many people in MN that have grown up with guns and are very familiar with their operation.  I wouldn't worry about him shooting anyone but the bad guy.

If he had a permit to carry, he has had training.

No... It would be more correct to say he probaby has had some training in the past and we don't know the last time he pulled it out of the holster.

No... It would be more correct to say he probaby has had some training in the past and we don't know the last time he pulled it out of the holster.

Training is required for a permit to carry in MN.

Way better chance that some "civilian" with a car and cell phone will injure or kill me.

I agree, there is a much greater chance I will die from a car accident also but... I drive every day and don't have guns in my house, associate with many people who own them, hunt, or go to many places where it's likely people are packing (say like bars in Georgia).

I wouldn't worry about him shooting anyone but the bad guy.

I swear heard a Director yell "and cut" after I read that sentence.