Gunman killed after shooting 2 officers at Minnesota city hall

Training is required for a permit to carry in MN.

I am talking more generally then this specific person.

No... It would be more correct to say he probaby has had some training in the past and we don't know the last time he pulled it out of the holster.

Training, licensing and periodic recertification are the rule in the vast majority of states. Not to mention that civilians as a rule practice MUCH more than most cops do.

Training, licensing and periodic recertification are the rule in the cast majority of states.

What states require recertification outside of license expiration? got a link to that?

Training, licensing and periodic recertification are the rule in the vast majority of states. Not to mention that civilians as a rule practice MUCH more than most cops do.

So you aggreed with my statment then...

That is your right to do that.  Just curious why you are so afraid of guns and prejudiced against people that own them?

Huh? I am not afraid of guns at all. You could say the issue is I don't trust most people... I grew up with guns in the house and hunted with my dad. I merely have no use for owning any today... In why most of my family and friends don't own them? I guess you would have to ask them.

Huh? I am not afraid of guns at all. You could say the issue is I don't trust most people... I grew up with guns in the house and hunted with my dad. I merely have no use for owning any today... In why most of my family and friends don't own them? I guess you would have to ask them.

Sorry.  Misread your post.  I read it as you don't associate with people that have guns.  That is what I get for responding while trying to work.

Look em up. Most are 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 years. 10 is often an enhancement that requires a very clean record and extra fees.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html

I will look through that list when I get a chance, I am kind of surprised their is no list with that already in easy to find form. By re-certification, I do not mean paying a renewal fee, I mean must attend training. In my state, I just pay 52 dollars every 5 years. No training to get it and none to keep it.

Exactly. Race is immaterial in this instance - the man had a gun and shot at officers. However, it's different when you're talking about institutionalised racism, where ethnic minorities are targeted disproportionately by the police because of their race. As long as people are discriminated against because of their race it will always be a factor.

The question is why did he shoot at the officers?

In this kind of incident vs city officials it's usually a dispute over ordinance violations, permitting, taxes or the seizure of property. Those or he's simply nuts.

>

In my state, I just pay 52 dollars every 5 years. No training to get it and none to keep it.

In Michigan CPL renewal is pretty much the same procedure as getting your first permit. You do new paperwork, take a refresher course and show proficiency at the range within 6 months of renewal. Cost: $105 not counting the class & range time which is usually $50-85. The only thing we don't need to do is get new fingerprints. Our licenses are honored in 36 other states, and counting.

He was nuts.  Had lots of run-ins with the cops and government over various issues.  Family warned that this might happen.  They don't know if he was targeting the cops or just the city government in general.  The cops were there being sworn in as new officers, so they might have just been the first people he saw.

He was nuts.  Had lots of run-ins with the cops and government over various issues.  Family warned that this might happen.  They don't know if he was targeting the cops or just the city government in general.  The cops were there being sworn in as new officers, so they might have just been the first people he saw.

And that's the end of the discussion, But if he was black the usual suspects would be up in arms telling us how rap music, his parent's, his culture are to blame, How this is yet another example of these race baiters killing innocent people. But no hes white so that's where the discussion ends.

And that's the end of the discussion, But if he was black the usual suspects would be up in arms telling us how rap music, his parent's, his culture are to blame, How this is yet another example of these race baiters killing innocent people. But no hes white so that's where the discussion ends.

I am glad he was white so we don't have to listen to all the complaining from the race baiters...

Not sure why this is on Neowin. The man was an older Caucasian man with a persecution complex. He had multiple issues with the New Hope government and police. Apparently, they did not want to buy a house he owned for more than double what it was worth, thought the police were targeting him and his son(s). They were trying to get him committed for his threatening behaviors. He fired on 2 officers as they were leaving the city council chamber and wounded both. Other officers returned fire and killed him. The man with the gun in the council chambers was a ex-cop councilman. This is another case of a person losing their mental faculties who owned guns. Apparently, his family didn't think he was crazy enough to have him committed and his guns confiscated (by them or the police). It is similar to old people who lose their faculties and insist on driving. There should be a way to make sure people with gun permits and drivers licenses are "still with us" and take them away when they are not. Unfortunately, at what point would someone be able to judge this for someone else? People kill other people for many reasons and use many methods. Are they all crazy and when did they cross the line?

Then he should have been executed long ago. No need to have these ticking time bombs roaming the streets.

One more failure of our mental health committal laws, which make it ridiculously difficult for the family or authorities to do an intervention that lasts more than 72 hours. A misbegotten effort by civil libertarians for 'rights of the mentally ill' made 40 years ago that keeps on giving.