SCARY! Nanny says hacker struck up conversation with her over baby monitor

Found this story on my local news FB page but its quoted from CNN

Funny how the parents though just securing the WiFi meant a secure camera. 

Yet the "hacker" did not advise the person who they were talking to that they should secure the camera.

I love how they say "Hacker" Anyone can scan for these Camera's some some Simple to use Security Tools

There's a whole website somebody posted about with links to thousands of unsecured cameras.  I forget the URL, but you don't even have to be a hacker any more, internet access is all you need to creep somebody out.

Wait, if I have asus router, my things are being placed on the internets?

If you have a USBHDD connected to it BY DEFAULT it would create publicly accessible FTP server with the drive and anyone can access it

If you have a USBHDD connected to it BY DEFAULT it would create publicly accessible FTP server with the drive and anyone can access it

[accessing your PC]

Oh yeah!  I am looking at your pictures and videos of you and the rest of cats in the household.  

Hey kitty kitty kitty!

:p

Wait, if I have asus router, my things are being placed on the internets?

Some routers comes with default... so be careful... always check and make sure the features are off ... so no one can access your PC. 

If you are using webcam for monitoring, use your own password instead of default password... otherwise anyone can access it anytime.

Mine is off and camera is locked.  Meaning the hackers see the black screen instead of the actual view. 

There's a whole website somebody posted about with links to thousands of unsecured cameras.  I forget the URL, but you don't even have to be a hacker any more, internet access is all you need to creep somebody out.

I remember seeing the website on Reddit, but the one I saw only let you watch, you couldn't do anything to creep them out, unless the camera showed you a phone number somehow.

Anyway, I think the scariest thing is the guy (was it a guy?) was actively watching her change a baby's diaper. If I was playing with that random webcam site and I saw that (or any people in private rooms) I'd move on and I'd do so in a big hurry... I was more interested in seeing street cams. People walking outside, driving on the other side of the road, just general, random, public life in other countries (mostly Europe). I thought it was interesting. But the cameras weren't sorted by type, and occasionally they'd show a family's living room or kitchen, or an office building. Never saw a nanny cam or baby cam.

This one?