Which Virtual Machine and my own nvidia GPU?

I am wondering, I would like to use a VM to play some C&C games which cannot be played under Windows 8.1 :(

I know VirtualBox, however this one has its own Virtual-GPU and cannot run my games.

I am trying to het the Command & Conquer package of 17 games running.

Is there maybe other free/opensource VM software available which recognizes my nvidia GPU as nvidia and not as "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"?

Is that one free? Because I see "Buy Online" on http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/features.html

VMware Player is Workstation's no-cost brother.  It supports most of Workstation's feature base (including creating virtual machines) and is available for Windows, OS X, and most Linux distributions.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/features.html

• Like 2

Riva, are you sure ?  Because when I use VMWare workstation 11 - my VMs have some s3 graphics chipset - they know nothing of my nVidia card.

If possible, would they share resources, if VMWare takes the video card, what would the host use ?

Riva, are you sure ?  Because when I use VMWare workstation 11 - my VMs have some s3 graphics chipset - they know nothing of my nVidia card.

If possible, would they share resources, if VMWare takes the video card, what would the host use ?

the processor and motherboard chipset would need to have VT-D support then you can use the host graphics IIRC

the processor and motherboard chipset would need to have VT-D support then you can use the host graphics IIRC

OK cool - thanks

I dont have those options enabled in BIOS (because....well Im lazy)

I'll make that change now

I would recommend VMWare Player for the simple fact that Client Hyper-V does not support VGpu, for that you would need Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper V server

From experience of playing though C&C Red Alert last year on Windows 8.1 64bit scaled to 1080p, DOSBox.

I think I used a hq2x scaler. Only issues were some of the sounds had a repeat /echo during certain actions but it turned out the issue was experienced with REAL non-Creative Soundblaster audio hardware back in 1996 also!

I've also had Dune 2000 & C&C (1995) working in DOSBox. Anything more modern (e.g. Tiberian Sun) you should be able to get working natively or using DirectDraw wrappers like DDwrapper.