Police Threat Ransomware Mail, causes Autistic Teenager to commit suicide.

In what appeared to be a legitimate email from the police department, it was written that the police had caught the teen browsing illegitimate sites and needs to pay a fine of hundred Pounds to stop police from pursuing him on the case. The autistic teenager took it to be a true email and unable to understand, hung himself from the ceiling in his room at his house in Berkshire.

Source

Mentally unstable individual does something only a mentally unstable person would do. 

Pretty sad all the same.

Plenty of people fall for these ransomware emails, unfortunately this individual killed himself.  It is sad nor would it have happened if he hadn't received the email.  One can hope that they are able to track down the individual(s) and charge them.

• Like 3

Mentally unstable individual does something only a mentally unstable person would do. 

Pretty sad all the same.

Yes its a very sad story but you clearly do not under stand that he was Autistic, People on the autistic spectrum vary from person to person and in this teenagers case he took it that the email was true, he did not understand that it was not real, Read up on what ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) is and how it affects people who are on it

Plenty of people fall for these ransomware emails, unfortunately this individual killed himself.  It is sad nor would it have happened if he hadn't received the email.  One can hope that they are able to track down the individual(s) and charge them.

Charge them with what exactly? I guess the worse they could charge them with is impersonating a police officer.

Yes its a very sad story but you clearly do not under stand that he was Autistic, People on the autistic spectrum vary from person to person and in this teenagers case he took it that the email was true, he did not understand that it was not real, Read up on what ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) is and how it affects people who are on it

So you're saying he's mentally stable?  Not sure what you're getting at. 

Speaking of Malware and Ransomware lately if I visit this site on my Android phone, it brings up my appstore to install malware infested apps....

Sorry for the loss of this young man.

Charge them with what exactly? I guess the worse they could charge them with is impersonating a police officer.

Heck...I dunno....not really familiar with English law.  conspiracy to defraud, Fraud Act of 2006, computer crime...assuming constructive manslaughter is a bit overboard.

Speaking of Malware and Ransomware lately if I visit this site on my Android phone, it brings up my appstore to install malware infested apps....

Yep, it is a bit annoying.

He was mentally HANDICAPPED, not unstable.  Jeez dude, don't you know what autism is?

didn't know police actually send email to warn about illegal stuff.

They don't, but it's unlikely an autistic kid would know that.  Likely the poor guy was absolutely terrified by the email and what he thought could happen to him.

• Like 3

yes, autism doesn't make you "unstable", he could have been, but most likely he firstly didn't understand that it wasn't real, and he didn't understand the consequence, or lack thereof, if it was real.

He was mentally HANDICAPPED, not unstable.  Jeez dude, don't you know what autism is?He was mentally HANDICAPPED, not unstable. Jeez dude, don't you know what autism is? 

It's a spectrum. And somewhere along the spectrum they can become violent and cannot function on their own. If that's your definition of mentally stable, fine. :) 

It's a spectrum. And somewhere along the spectrum they can become violent and cannot function on their own. If that's your definition of mentally stable, fine. :)

That doesn't make them mentally unstable, it makes them mentally handicapped.  When a toddler has a tantrum over something happening they do not understand, are they also mentally unstable, or is just because their brains aren't developed enough to understand what happened, and they react in the only way they're able to?

Educate yourself, please; or stop commenting on things you do not understand.

• Like 2

to pay a fine of hundred Pounds to stop police from pursuing him on the case.

how very unfortunate that a human soul is lost, because of a fear of 500 pounds.  FFS, it is just money.    if you problem can be solved with less then an average monthly salary...   why worry????

unless the issue was more deep rooted and the fact that he thought that the police knew what he was doing was enough to push him over the edge.

mental problems are a terrible bane.     even little once are slowly killing us inside.

That doesn't make them mentally unstable, it makes them mentally handicapped.  

So you're saying a mentally handicapped person can't be mentally unstable? 

It's not an insult to say that they're mentally unstable, they have a disorder, and that's fine. They need care, treatment, and supervision, which obviously this child was lacking. 

So you're saying a mentally handicapped person can't be mentally unstable? 

It's not an insult to say that they're mentally unstable, they have a disorder, and that's fine. They need care, treatment, and supervision, which obviously this child was lacking. 

Yes it is an insult to say some one who is autistic is mentally unstable, they are two very different things.

What are the credentials of the author? The book sounds like it was written as a high school report, not a psychological journal. 

If a autistic child is hot, it has been reported that some will strip naked in public and run around. The communication is there. They are hot. It is cooler when I am naked. Therefore I will be naked and be cool. Again, the communication is there, but the socially accepted communication in which we communicate is not.

These are the actions of an unstable person.  It is what it is, I don't know why everyone's getting offended by it. 

What are the credentials of the author? The book sounds like it was written as a high school report, not a psychological journal. 

These are the actions of an unstable person.  It is what it is, I don't know why everyone's getting offended by it. 

:argh:

since you are the person making unfounded claims, what are your basis for calling artists mentally unstable.

That doesn't make them mentally unstable, it makes them mentally handicapped.  

I have no experinece with autistic people, but if someone asking the opposite - "are they mentally stable" i would answer no. I know that its not autism does not mean mentally unstable but isn't the reverse true?

I have no experinece with autistic people, but if someone asking the opposite - "are they mentally stable" i would answer no. I know that its not autism does not mean mentally unstable but isn't the reverse true?

an person who goes and shoots up there school would be some one that people would say or class as "mentally unstable"

mentally handicapped people are also not mentally unstable.

what if some one said Stephen Hawkins was mentally unstable, what would the reaction be then?