-----------------------------------------

DREADNOUGHT

GreyBox & Yager

It is an era of war and hardship

Unless it's free to play then I probably won't buy it. It looks fun but I have too many other games I paid for to play first.

And I just now watched the pax thing and it is free to play.

look interesting, but capital ships fighting in atmosphere don't make any sense to me.

I can agree with that, it does seem odd but I'm willing to put that aside merely because the concept itself is solid. There are maps that are in space (Angry Joe has a video where the first map is on Saturn's rings but seeing as he curses in his videos I cannot post it).

Even the explosions operate differently in space vs. in atmosphere. The level of detail is quite impressive.

The most important thing is the slow movement makes the ships feel like huge capital ships sailing through space. Once you add abilities like cloaking or in-combat warp, it feels like you're captaining one of your favorite sci-fi ships. You feel like you could pull all those great maneuvers you've seen in Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Serenity. Sliding across floating metal in your cloaked ship, only to drop cloak and unload hellfire from behind your target.

US Gamer Article - http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dreadnought-preview-i-finally-understand-world-of-tanks

Space combat is a hard thing to do.  Space combat with large ships is an insanely hard thing to do.  It

• 1 month later...

In this panel they also talk about a new game mode present in the game, where you can play as a weak little fighter pilot amongst the chaos of the capital ships.

• 1 year later...
On 18/03/2015 at 9:34 PM, Emn1ty said:

In this panel they also talk about a new game mode present in the game, where you can play as a weak little fighter pilot amongst the chaos of the capital ships.

So anyone playing the beta of this ?

also the fighter thign is less than useless and has horrible controls. it's more of a "let the guys do something after they died in the last man standing game" thing

Just now, HawkMan said:

So anyone playing the alpha of this ?

also the fighter thign is less than useless and has horrible controls. it's more of a "let the guys do something after they died in the last man standing game" thing

I'm currently playing the Beta. Deathmatch has been very fun and the game has many levels of play. It is oddly satisfying to just spend your entire resources and attention on keeping your ships alive. Watching your artillery cruiser seconds from death suddenly surge back to full health because you shifted power to your repair beam and blew an ability to enhance it further. It's nearly as satisfying as a warp-in broadside.

This game has so far been fantastic, but there are some balance issues that need to be worked out.

23 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

I'm currently playing the Beta. Deathmatch has been very fun and the game has many levels of play. It is oddly satisfying to just spend your entire resources and attention on keeping your ships alive. Watching your artillery cruiser seconds from death suddenly surge back to full health because you shifted power to your repair beam and blew an ability to enhance it further. It's nearly as satisfying as a warp-in broadside.

This game has so far been fantastic, but there are some balance issues that need to be worked out.

The game is fun, but there's no shortage of issues to be worked out. unfinished GUI and GUI issues.  

and primarily the completely broken Matchmaking that only works for a few hours after a server reboot before it collapses into never ending queue times. 

24 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

The game is fun, but there's no shortage of issues to be worked out. unfinished GUI and GUI issues.  

and primarily the completely broken Matchmaking that only works for a few hours after a server reboot before it collapses into never ending queue times. 

Yeah, the matchmaking is pretty terrible. I really hope they get it worked out soon.

I played the alpha a few weeks back and found it intriguing though it really taxed my aging system. I haven't fired up the closed beta yet but want to this week, I feel the game has some potential.

Not sure just how well my i5 3230m with Geforce GT 636m will hold out though even on low settings.

I really wish they'd do something about their patcher, the 50-100 kbps download speeds are ridiculous. 

also those healers are ridiculous, when your entire team, at least 2 dreadnoughts with nukes and an artillery ship with a tesla cannon is firing at an enemy dreadnought and the health and shield is literally going UP. something is terribly wrong. when that healer is also not only healing that one dreadnought but 2-3 of them and they're surrounding the healer so you can't even take him out... yeah...

game is fun though, once you get past the bugs and the occasional stupid battle of people abusing broken mechanics. 

I do feel like the game should be more complete at this point though, all pilots look basically the same, though they are a rather meaningless feature. and contracts seem to merely exist but currently serve no function as they offer no rewards. 

queue times where good today though, but that could have been because they just recently had a restart. of course then they took another hours long restart and another patch that takes forever to download from their 28,8k powered download server. 

They also really need to fix how they distribute FP, it's either really stupidly set up or really random. 

I can get 500-600 for a win sometimes, 100 for a loss. and then I play a corvette and risk my life to take out other corvettes and go behind the lines and I get a measly 200 and a healer gets showered with them. 

On 5/4/2016 at 3:57 PM, HawkMan said:

I really wish they'd do something about their patcher, the 50-100 kbps download speeds are ridiculous. 

also those healers are ridiculous, when your entire team, at least 2 dreadnoughts with nukes and an artillery ship with a tesla cannon is firing at an enemy dreadnought and the health and shield is literally going UP. something is terribly wrong. when that healer is also not only healing that one dreadnought but 2-3 of them and they're surrounding the healer so you can't even take him out... yeah...

game is fun though, once you get past the bugs and the occasional stupid battle of people abusing broken mechanics. 

I do feel like the game should be more complete at this point though, all pilots look basically the same, though they are a rather meaningless feature. and contracts seem to merely exist but currently serve no function as they offer no rewards. 

queue times where good today though, but that could have been because they just recently had a restart. of course then they took another hours long restart and another patch that takes forever to download from their 28,8k powered download server. 

I've noticed the opposite regarding the healers. Being a lone tactical cruiser I can't even keep some dreadnoughts alive when they get focus fired without running out blowing every trick in the book. Empower beams eats up your entire energy reserve, so you can't combine it with normal energy enforcement. As for the number of points tactical cruisers get... I understand why they get the points but it does seem they get a bit too many. I've yet to end a game as tactical cruiser and not be at the top of the list.

The patch downloads seem to go perfectly fine for me. Only issue I've had is games freezing mid match but I didn't experience that last night at all.

More info in this stream: