Android Gmail app - Is Gmail IMAP or special?

So I linked my Google accounts to my phone and the Android Gmail app automatically checks for email.

My question is: are those email accounts set up in the Gmail app IMAP or exchange or some special Gmail-only configuration?

I noticed that gmail immediately pushes new mail to the app, but other email apps would not get it instantly, they have to check every x minutes.

The gmail app uses a special protocol only Google knows about.  Gmail also supports IMAP/POP for other applications though.

The gmail app uses a special protocol only Google knows about.  Gmail also supports IMAP/POP for other applications though.

And Exchange now too 

I hope that was sarcasm. I think the only thing that I noticed a while back was that it uses non standard ports other than that it works fine for me in every other way. 

Actually the ports themselves are standard.  However they made non-standard changes to how IMAP is handled on their server.

Actually the ports themselves are standard.  However they made non-standard changes to how IMAP is handled on their server.

Which is why Outlook (until 2010) either required manual setup OR used the POP3 option (which GMail has had - and didn't charge for).  However, starting with Outlook 2013, GMail (and other iMAP services) are handled on-the-fly (POP3 worked that way with Outlook starting in 2010).  Outlook is, in fact, the only desktop mail client I have ever used with GMail.  (That is, in fact, why I'm still peeved with Yahoo Mail in the US - they alone refuse to provide either POP3 or IMAP as a no-cost option.)

• 3 months later...

This is why I don't use Gmail - non standard Google garbage.

The reason it used non-standard settings was for security reasons - and that only applies to the ports.  (Surprisingly, Outlook's own launch-and-leave IMAP detection has no issues with GMail; neither does the Mail app in Windows 10's Technical or Insider Previews, for that matter.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The reason it used non-standard settings was for security reasons - and that only applies to the ports.  (Surprisingly, Outlook's own launch-and-leave IMAP detection has no issues with GMail; neither does the Mail app in Windows 10's Technical or Insider Previews, for that matter.)

In the case of GMail, I mean non-standard as in non-POP3; I hadn't used an IMAP-based mail service until GMail.  (Since then, my broadband provider has moved from POP3 to IMAP4.)

The reason I call Outlook's mail settings "launch and leave" is that all you have to give it are the username and pasword - the application itself handles the rest.  (Same is true with the Mail app in Windows 10.)  It's like a fire-and-forget warhead, except that it doesn't blow up mailboxes.  (The GMail app in Android is a "Google Creature" - of COURSE it will know what ports Google uses; however, there is nothing stopping you from using any mail client for Android that supports IMAP4 - such as Outlook for Android, for that matter.)  However, as is the case with Windows (or insert-OS-of-choice-here) if you have an application that you are comfortable with (and all too often, if Google provides an Android app for that service, that is what you will use), that is what folks will stick with - how many folks have left the GMail client on Android for Outlook?