Gods and Aliens

36 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe?

• Aliens exist and God does not
    • Aliens exist and they were created by God
    • Aliens don't exist and neither does God
    • Aliens don't exist but God does
    • I'm just here to read the comments

Read something about Aliens and this came to mind. I see a lot of atheists, not necessarily here, say that aliens don't exist. That train of thought is puzzling to me because if Aliens don't exist, that means we are alone in the universe. If we are alone, that means we are not an accident which in turn means we were created by something. Accidents don't happen once, they happen over and over.

And for the people that believe in God, why would he create us and no one else? And for those that don't believe in either, mathematically there are millions of planets that fall into the "goldie locks zone" which is perfect for replicating life. Any thoughts?

Agreed. Ancient knowledge of the solar system is a good example Suren.

Oh God not this again. :/

Don't know how often it's been asked, I've been gone for almost a year now.

Agreed. Ancient knowledge of the solar system is a good example Suren.

Don't know how often it's been asked, I've been gone for almost a year now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/pnevp/what_if_god_was_an_alien_race_seeding_life/

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1y35uy/gods_in_the_mountain/

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheistvids/comments/2rgkv5/symbols_of_an_alien_sky_full_documentary_gods/

These links explains all the scholars, religious viewpoints and advocates either side, mixed in with public opinion and a 3hrs documentary If you want to watch it.

Thanks, I'll check it out. interested in what folks here think.

mathematically there are millions of planets that fall into the "goldie locks zone" which is perfect for replicating life. Any thoughts?

Just because our planet has life, and is the third rock from the sun, doesn't mean that all planets have to be the same distance from their sun to support life, just because our scientists say it, doesn't make it true!

And, yes, I'm an Atheist, and I do believe that we are not the only life in the universe.

Do you really expect anyone to know alien life forms exists or not? The answer is, we don't know, and it'll remain that way until we find any or they directly contact us, although calvin knows better:

calvin_hobbes_aliens.jpg

Same goes for a higher being or beings. 

Either way, it wouldn't make any freaking difference at all.

As for the gods in fantasy books like lord of the rings, bible, quran, etc. and the mythological ones like zeus, odin, etc., they are just like the ferrari in my garage: nonexistent.

all planets have to be the same distance from their sun to support life, just because our scientists say it

No scientist ever said that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_habitable_zone

Do you really expect anyone to know alien life forms exists or not? The answer is, we don't know, and it'll remain that way until we find any or they directly contact us, although calvin knows better:

Either way, it wouldn't make any freaking difference at all.

As for the gods in fantasy books like lord of the rings, bible, quran, etc. and the mythological ones like zeus, odin, etc., they are just like the ferrari in my garage: nonexistent.

No scientist ever said that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_habitable_zone

I find it interesting that in the same post you say there's no way we could know if aliens exist out there that there is definitely no way Gods can exist.

Why does the lack of evidence of one mean they might exist but the lack of evidence of the other means they definitely don't exist?

I find it interesting that in the same post you say there's no way we could know if aliens exist out there that there is definitely no way Gods can exist.

Why does the lack of evidence of one mean they might exist but the lack of evidence of the other means they definitely don't exist?

I think you missed the "Same goes for a higher being or beings" part.

I wrote gods of the mythologies and fantasy books don't exist, since they are manmade, not to mention how they all contradict each other. Outside of those, a higher being or beings might or might not exist.

If we are alone, that means we are not an accident which in turn means we were created by something.

Why?

Accidents don't happen once, they happen over and over.

They "can" happen over and over given a certain amount of time but perhaps not enough time has passed yet for it to happen. Time for us is different then time for the universe. In the large picture, our universe could be just born when compared to others hence the possibility of no life but ours. I do not believe this, just giving you a viewpoint. Life is most likely to exist elsewhere, but given the distances of LIGHT YEARS for travel and we are so new as a planet, if aliens DID exist, they wouldn't have even discovered us yet do to the sheer distance from solar system to solar system and from galaxy to galaxy.  

• Like 1

I think its more likely that there will be a spectrum of civilizations both in a similar state to our beginnings and others that are as advanced as we might be in a few hundred years or so.They might also not necessarily be of similar make up coming from different temperate conditions i.e.not carbon and water based or even warm blooded as we are.

On the subject of travel there was mutings that traveling at speeds faster than light may even be possible.

Read something about Aliens and this came to mind. I see a lot of atheists, not necessarily here, say that aliens don't exist.

Your argument must be ###### poor when you start out the thread with a massive strawman.

If we are alone, that means we are not an accident

Does not follow

And for those that don't believe in either, mathematically there are millions of planets that fall into the "goldie locks zone" which is perfect for replicating life. Any thoughts?

And how do you know that life favors or needs this zone. You cant do statistics with one. For all you know we are just one massively unlikely exception and the vast majority of life occurs in {insert massively unlikely environment here}

Basically you are assuming things with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

If we are alone, that means we are not an accident which in turn means we were created by something.

There is absolutely no way that logically makes sense. That's neither deductive, inductive or abductive (inb4 I see what you did there). And your next argument goes on saying that if something created us then it'd create more things. Which is a reasonable assessment to make but is a direct counter argument to this one. One probably shouldn't assert what intentions an all-powerful being has either.

Sometimes. We often discount the significance of an accident after we've observed it happening, even once. Sure, it only took about a billion years for life to start making itself on Earth but that doesn't mean that's the typical time frame. Also, it took billions of years after that for that same life to start questioning its own existence.

The Universe is only ~14 Billion years old (by current estimates) and, if we're going on straight observable data for the statistical chance of life, it's almost immeasurably unlikely; although obviously likely enough to exist, as I exist.

Having said all that I believe there is sufficient evidence to state that there is a likely enough chance that there is at least some form of life outside of Earth. And I believe some kind of a "God" created all of this. I'm open to the suggestion that the "God" is just an Alien as well.

• Like 2

And for the people that believe in God, why would he create us and no one else? And for those that don't believe in either, mathematically there are millions of planets that fall into the "goldie locks zone" which is perfect for replicating life. Any thoughts?

Accidents are just statistics waiting to happen

As for the "Goldie Locks Zone" much like any other planetary theory its just that a theory based on assumption and guesswork

I see a lot of atheists, not necessarily here, say that aliens don't exist.

There's no correlation between being an Atheist and not believing there's life out there. In fact i'd wager that the majority of space exploration scientists in charge of searching out that life, are in fact atheist. So i'm not sure where you're getting that bit from.

That train of thought is puzzling to me because if Aliens don't exist, that means we are alone in the universe. If we are alone, that means we are not an accident which in turn means we were created by something. Accidents don't happen once, they happen over and over.

We could be alone and still an accident you know? Doesn;t mean we were created by an all seeing being.

Also, the goldielocks zone isn't the only thing needed for life to blossom, so even if there are millions and millions of "Goldilocks" planets, doesn't mean they can support life.

Personally, i'm an Atheist and i believe there's something else out there, living among the stars.

i believe there is something.  

god:

i don't believe in any other beliefs that force a certain way on you, because there are too many and each one think this is the way. 

i take what i find useful and what i agree with from many religions and ignore the rest.

aliens:
the aliens absolutely positively might possibly exist :p

I-Believe-I-Can-Fly-Cat1.jpg

You just proved my point, you're linking to a scientific article, just because scientists say that is where life can occur doesn't make it true. There could be life on gas planets, hell, not all life may be carbon based!

You just proved my point, you're linking to a scientific article, just because scientists say that is where life can occur doesn't make it true. There could be life on gas planets, hell, not all life may be carbon based!

Then you should have mentioned carbon in the first place. Besides, my reply wasn't about carbon. You said "the same distance from their sun"; no scientist ever said it has to be the same distance, even for water and carbon based life. That's all.

Also, what makes you think that scientists think life can only be water and carbon based? Which scientist has said that?

• Like 1

Read something about Aliens and this came to mind. I see a lot of atheists, not necessarily here, say that aliens don't exist. That train of thought is puzzling to me because if Aliens don't exist, that means we are alone in the universe. If we are alone, that means we are not an accident which in turn means we were created by something. Accidents don't happen once, they happen over and over.

Going to reiterate what others have said. I think a more common and sensible that atheist view towards alien life is that there is no evidence for said life outside our little planet. I think most would also agree given our current but limited knowledge of how life can and does exist, that conditions for life are prevalent throughout the universe. There is no definitive answer of "are we alone" so we can ONLY go off of what knowledge we have. 

If we are alone that does not make it any less of an accident nor does that equate to meaning something created us. There is no basis for the conclusion that alone = creator. For all anyone knows, including YOU, the accident of life has happened over and over throughout the universe. There is just no way of knowing in our current point of time. 

IF and I stress if, there is a god, there is absolutely zero reason to make any assumption that life was limited to this planet alone. I really don't understand how you could even begin to come to these wild assumptions with practically zero supporting evidence to back them up. 

Lastly regarding the "goldilocks zone", the understanding of the goldilocks zone is limited to our limited understanding of life. We can ONLY go off of our own example of life. Life could very well not be limited to any kind of zone at all. It's very possible life could exist on a star or thrive in space itself for all we know. We may not even be able to recognize life if we were staring it in the face. Simply because our knowledge is limited to ONLY examples that we have on Earth. The goldilocks zone is pure speculation based on that knowledge. 

IF and I stress if, there is a god, there is absolutely zero reason to make any assumption that life was limited to this planet alone. 

Or that life was even this god's primary intention. Life could be a by-product of the universe. We value life and see it as important because we are alive. Considering how vast & hostile the universe is to life as we know it I wouldn't take for granted the idea the universe was created for our existence. Seems rather conceited.

• Like 2