First Snapshot Vivaldi 1.0.94.2

First Snapshot Vivaldi 1.0.94.2

Wow! It has been an interesting week. We have gotten so much feedback after our initial launch.

We have worked on fixing some of the worst issues in TP and want to invite you all for testing it :-)

We are new to the game of offering public "snapshots" or "unstable" builds, so please bare with us while we hope to mature this process.

Our plan is to make a "snapshot" available once a week. These builds may contain regressions so it could be wise to back up your profile before upgrading. We also plan to replace the Technical Preview available on vivaldi.com with this build unless any severe regressions are found. So, please let us know if you find any critical issues.

You can report bugs through our bug tracking system here. https://vivaldi.com/bugreport.html

Since we are a small team, we are not able to reply to everyone, but we do spend a lot of time reading forums and we try to reply when we can.

We hope you will see many of the features you miss in our future updates.

We currently don

Not sure what the point is, it feels like they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

The point of Vivaldi is to provide a browser for those who miss the old Opera (version ? 12). Going by the reactions to the first preview there is a market for it. Am I going to switch to Vivaldi? No. I can imagine others are watching its progress closely however.

Not sure what the point is, it feels like they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

The special wheel is for Opera 12 lovers, who missed their hard core features like spatial navigation, tab stacking, Mail, Notes, Speed Dial, Bookmark Manager (not Visual Bookmarks) etc which others like Original Opera and Otter Browser etc failed to achieve.

Though this browser might not be some extra ordinary in practice but with true replication of somewhat unique Opera features from Back to the Future, it can gain momentum and user base IMO.

EDIT: Frank was faster to reply. He cleared it. Ignore my comment.

Some bugs I noticed.

- Single Tab does not close browser window on mouse middle click on sole tab

- Open "vivaldi://newtab" and let the magic appear. [Open Old school Chromium Speed Dial]

I tested it out for a 2 mins. I installed it and went to Neowin.net and scrolled, the scrolling was horrible. So I uninstalled it :)

I tested it out for a 2 mins. I installed it and went to Neowin.net and scrolled, the scrolling was horrible. So I uninstalled it :)

It uses same engine as Google Chrome since being based on Google Chromium, so it will suffer from more or less same issues from which Google Chrome suffer.

User agent of the snapshot:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_2) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.89 Vivaldi/1.0.94.2 Safari/537.36

I gave this two days solid use at work, and my impression is no thanks. Very little work has gone in to making it feel like a consistent, solid browser.

You can side load chrome extensions through here: vivaldi://chrome/extensions

So far the browser needs a lot of ironing to work out, but it's a good start, especially for Opera fans.