Tablet sales dive, but Windows might just ride to the rescue

Replying to documented facts using your own conjecture and then saying I live in fantasy land. 

It's a bold strategy, I commend your use of it. 

the difference is I don't think windows tablets or plastic laptops will surpass ipad sales or even Samsung tablets. that's a reality, Few WIndows folk will face (denial) you posted a link by Paul Lilly that argues Asus tablets are selling well in China and Latin America, well that's one HUGE jump to being a dent in the market or even to take on Apple or Samsung. You are living in this little MS bubble thinking that the tablet market is going to change with windows.

Surface sales are about $1Billion, but we also conveniently leave out the part of where Windows RT was a failure and and 1st gen Surfaces were a loss leader with over $1 Billion deficits

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2484144/microsoft-windows/microsoft-writes-off-nearly--1b-to-account-for-surface-rt-bomb.html

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4535976/microsoft-lost-900-million-on-surface-rt

So yeh.... I'm not all conjecture, I argue the way the market is looking now. And let's face it, when analysts are against MS and their tactics the Windows folk call them "stupid" or "don;t know what they are talking about", but as  soon as its an article by an analyst who wants to lick MS ass, you guys are like "halluluja that makes so much sense JK" !. Complete Fantasy world.

No one's arguing the RT didn't bomb, but one $900 million write down in the 3 years since the RT was announced is being offset by the $1 billion dollars PER QUARTER that is being earned now. 

You'd make a damn good analyst, you're really good at spewing crap you've made up out onto the internet and expecting  to get taken seriously.  There's places that will pay you for that, don't waste your talent. 

No one's arguing the RT didn't bomb, but one $900 million write down in the 3 years since the RT was announced is being offset by the $1 billion dollars PER QUARTER that is being earned now. 

Wasnt 1 billion just for the last quarter?  Which was a holiday season so shall see if they can keep the momentum up.

You'd make a damn good analyst, you're really good at spewing crap you've made up out onto the internet and expecting  to get taken seriously.  There's places that will pay you for that, don't waste your talent. 

:D See you can't argue fact for fact. Goodbye!

If the Surface is so overpriced why has it turned into a billion dollar per quarter business for Microsoft? Considering it's cheaper and better than a Macbook air. iPad sales are plummeting, and those "cheap plastic Atom tablets" are breaking sales records for Asus:

http://www.maximumpc.com/asus_revenue_hit_record_high_november_strong_transformer_book_t100_sales

Does putting my points in bold make me more correct?  It's worth a shot. 

Do they have to?

Microsoft will have a higher revenue number on lower sales with a higher than normal price. The key question is what market share breakdown looks like between platforms; especially since the current reality is being heavily predicated on ecosystems.

Microsoft obviously will make money selling tablets, or almost anything, as they have a huge existing customer base, but long-term they need stuff to stick if they are going to dominate. Too early to tell yet if they are on the right path here...

Additionally, you compare the Surface Pro 3 to the Macbook Air when talking about its valuation then immediately compare it to the iPad when talking sales. You can't have it both ways really. If the Surface Pro 3 is slotted against the Macbook Air then it has to be looked at in that category.

Both the Toyota Prius and Mercedes C300 are cars, but to do a cross segment comparison distorts one from an objective comparison.

We'll see how much Windows 10 changes the game on the ground for Microsoft. They need a solid foothold in the new market reality.

And let's face it, when analysts are against MS and their tactics the Windows folk call them "stupid" or "don;t know what they are talking about", but as  soon as its an article by an analyst who wants to lick MS ass, you guys are like "halluluja that makes so much sense JK" !. Complete Fantasy world.

this thread isnt really about analyst predictions,and i think we all agree their predictions are not to be taken very seriously. its more about shipping estimates, you know, the same firms everyone likes to quote when they want to say windows phone only has 3% marketshare.