Teacher accused of slapping, taking food from first-grader

Food police arrested by real ones.

http://www.katc.com/story/28010279/teacher-accused-of-slapping-taking-food-from-first-grader

Teacher accused of slapping, taking food from first-grader

Updated: Feb 03, 2015 9:31 AM EST

ST. FRANCISVILLE, La. (AP) - Sheriff's deputies say a first-grade teacher accused of striking a student during lunch at Bains Lower Elementary School in St. Francisville has been arrested.

The Advocate reports the West Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office issued an arrest warrant for the teacher, 31-year-old Chanel Lemelle, on Thursday after witnesses reported seeing Lemelle allegedly berate, kick and slap a first-grade student on Jan. 23.

Deputies say Lemelle also is accused of taking some of the boy's lunch food.

Erin Foster, a sheriff's office spokeswoman, says Lemelle, of Baton Rouge, was booked Monday on one count of cruelty to juveniles. Foster says Lemelle posted $20,000 bail and was released.

School officials say Lemelle, who worked for the school district for about 10 years, resigned last week.

It was unclear whether Lemelle has an attorney.

While the whole story isn't evident from the article, I'm pretty sure the teacher's actions are inexcusable. Aside from that I'm not sure there is anything else to add to the discussion, the details are non-existent.

If the bolded is your attempt to link this story to the healthy school lunch programs, that's pretty pathetic.

1) absolute power corrupts absolutely. Example above.

2) what is being served in a great many of these new "healthy" school lunch programs barely qualifies as pig slop, contrary to the claims of the beaniecopter propnants. You eat it.

What set her off? Most likely a lunch "intervention" gone wonky. Think this is an isolated incident? Think again. The degree varies, but the over empowerment of control freaks is a problem. So is school food that looks/tastes like crap.

What set her off? Most likely a lunch "intervention" gone wonky. Think this is an isolated incident? Think again. The degree varies, but the over empowerment of control freaks is a problem. So is school food that looks/tastes like crap.

So you make a habit of visiting schools and sampling their food?  

Here's the cafeteria menu for the month of February at the school.  Not bad looking at all, in fact not that much different from what we were served (and that was many, many years ago), except for some better nutritional additions.

http://westfeliciana.la.schoolwebpages.com/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=RmVicnVhcnlfMjAxNS5wZGY6Ojovd3d3NS9zY2hvb2xzL2xhL3dlc3RmZWxpY2lhbmEvaW1hZ2VzL2RvY21nci9BTExmaWxlMTU0Ny5wZGY=&sectiondetailid=16257

So you make a habit of visiting schools and sampling their food?

>

We are parents and grandparents of high schoolers, in two different districts. We go to daytime functions and have had lunches in the cafeterias. My wife is also a teacher of 35 years and sees these lunches daily, and hears the complaints.

You?

We are parents and grandparents of high schoolers, in two different districts. We go to daytime functions and have had lunches in the cafeterias. My wife is also a teacher of 35 years and sees these lunches daily, and hears the complaints.

You?

Several times in our local district and the meals are fine. So, like you, I can only speak of the local area.