Am I becoming friends with the wrong crowd?

I miss the time when I used to have a meaningless job. It was an easy 9-5 day. Now, I'm at "career" where I always work late to meet deadliness and deal with enormous amount of stress from the people I work for. And what's worse is that I don't even get paid six figures for it. A bartender most likely gets paid more than I do. All life now is just work and very little free time. When people want to do something a 7pm on a weeknight, I can't. I'm working late at the office.

A "meaningless" job is nothing to look down upon. Work is simply a way to make money and put a roof over our heads. Those people have an easy 9-5 job and at the same time, get paid enough to pay their bills.... so more power to them.

I was referring to the 35 year old waiter, not the bartender at some hip Manhatten night club who brings in $100,000 - or the waiter @ Del Frisco's down here in DFW where they make over $100,000 and if a coworker wants to p/u a shift - they have to pay $1500 for it... not talking about those guys.

Not looking down on the job really, its the lifestyle - after work they all go out and party - thats great - but not @ 30+ - have to grow up.  I definately relate to the deadlines and working insane hours.

Its funny, all hourly people think its great to be salary - and salary people wish they were hourly - salary just means you are expected to work more than 40hrs per week, and overtime is a dream -- thats all it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell them how you feel; real friends would be ok with that.. if you have to pretend to be something you're not to get these people to like you, they were never really your friends to begin with.

I agree with him.  :) You need people with similar interests. There are many of them. Just look around and you will see.