WiFi woes

Here's the issue, currently ever device in the house is connected wirelessly. Lately (this week) while on the laptop or the Android tablet, the internet connection suddenly disappears and sometimes will come back on it's own, but often we're forced to disable and re enable the WiFi connection. This happens randomly and has happened when only one device is on. I'm wondering if it could be the router that's causing the trouble. I have an app on the tablet that constantly scans the WiFi network and automatically reconnects when the signal is lost. Any suggestions on what to check?

I had this issue on a couple routers, usually has to do with heat problems. Check if the router is running hot and try to clean out the fans. Also worth considering a factory reset.

Check the power management tab of the adapter, uncheck box that says 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  Sometimes they go to sleep and loose the default gateway.  Other things to consider, cordless phone base close to the computer causes interference with the 2.4 range,

Could there be any less info?  What router, what clients - how many, what wifi settings are you 2.4, 5? mixed G and N or just N?  20mhz or 40?  You say all devices are wireless?  How many devices, when it happens on 1 does it happen on all?  Do they clients ever have problems on any other wifi other than this connection?  How many other wifi in the area, are you using unique ssid?  Are you broadcasting SSID?  etc.. etc.. etc..

client: So my car makes this noise

mech:  What kind of noise

client: not really sure

mech: Ok, lets start with the basics -- what type of car is it?

client: it has 4 wheels and is red.

mech: facepalm!!!

• Like 3

Could there be any less info? What router, what clients - how many, whai settings are you 2.4, 5? mixed G and N or just N? 20mhz or 40? You say all devices are wireless? How many devices, when it happens on 1 does it happen on all? Do they clients ever have problems on any other wifi other than this connection? How many other wifi in the area, are you using unique ssid? Are you broadcasting SSID? etc.. etc.

Router is a netgear dualband-N, There is a laptop, a desktop, a Wii, a android phone and tablet and a PS vita that can be on the network,of those the PC's and android devices are on most of the time. I'm broadcasting on 2.4 GHz a unique SSID. In our immediate area there is AT&T next door, as well as a few other Comcast and AT&T near, however none except for the one next door is even strong enough to connect to. I have checked the channels in the area and adjusted the channel I use to one less crowded.

I don't know for sure, but I can say that when the internet disappears on the tablet the phone is also affected, I'm not sure about the PC's, and the Vita is mainly used at night, so I've never heard any complaints of dropped signal.

Also, I don't believe that any of the devices can connect at 5 ghz

Here's the issue, currently ever device in the house is connected wirelessly. Lately (this week) while on the laptop or the Android tablet, the internet connection suddenly disappears and sometimes will come back on it's own, but often we're forced to disable and re enable the WiFi connection. This happens randomly and has happened when only one device is on. I'm wondering if it could be the router that's causing the trouble. I have an app on the tablet that constantly scans the WiFi network and automatically reconnects when the signal is lost. Any suggestions on what to check?

I'm wondering if it's the added wifi app that's causing the dropout on the tablet.

What happens if you just use the built in wifi on the tablet?

Check for congestion:
1)Dowload InSSIDer: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Install it and select the proper adapter. Let it scan for 1-2 minutes

2) Note the channels used by your neighbors. Note which channels are most and least used. However the only non-overlapping channels are 1,6,and 11. (you can use others, however you're subject to, and cause interference to the main ones)
For Really congested environments with no clean-clear channels (non-used non-co and non-overlapping)
I recommend choosing the channel that has the lowest signal strength that's around... like if the least use 11 and the only channel 11 in use has a really low RSSI (like -80+dBm) Use ch 11.

3) Log into your routers control panel and go to (for example) Wireless Settings>2.4Ghz or Wireless Settings>5Ghz and should be in the main of both sections. Configure those to use the least congested or best case channel.

PROTIP: DISABLE 40MHZ CHANNEL WIDTH! It uses a 2nd channel for higher bandwidth, however it's an overlapping channel and it would subject you to interference and would cause interference to other networks!!!

4)Apply the new channel setting, use the scanning software again and test downloads.

I'm wondering if it's the added wifi app that's causing the dropout on the tablet.

What happens if you just use the built in wifi on the tablet?

It simply drops, and I'd have to manually recconect, however that's not a bad suggestion to try, I'm going to disable the app and see what happens.

Check for congestion:

1)Dowload InSSIDer: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Install it and select the proper adapter. Let it scan for 1-2 minutes

2) Note the channels used by your neighbors. Note which channels are most and least used. However the only non-overlapping channels are 1,6,and 11. (you can use others, however you're subject to, and cause interference to the main ones)

As I've stated in the second reply: I have already scanned the area and adjusted accordingly.

For Really congested environments with no clean-clear channels (non-used non-co and non-overlapping)

I recommend choosing the channel that has the lowest signal strength that's around... like if the least use 11 and the only channel 11 in use has a really low RSSI (like -80+dBm) Use ch 11.

As I stated in my second reply, I've already done this!

3) Log into your routers control panel and go to (for example) Wireless Settings>2.4Ghz or Wireless Settings>5Ghz and should be in the main of both sections. Configure those to use the least congested or best case channel.

PROTIP: DISABLE 40MHZ CHANNEL WIDTH! It uses a 2nd channel for higher bandwidth, however it's an overlapping channel and it would subject you to interference and would cause interference to other networks!!!

4)Apply the new channel setting, use the scanning software again and test downloads.

"I have checked the channels in the area and adjusted the channel I use to one less crowded."

And what channel is that.. There are 3 channels to use in 2.4 1, 6 and 11 in the US..  Those are the 3 non overlapping channels.

So you got a dual band router, but have nothing to use 5ghz on?

So this comes down to your tablet.. Since your not really sure about the other devices.  What is the specific tablet?  What is this specific app you installed?  What is the signal strength your seeing from your router..  You do understand its wifi is by nature unstable..  But with these sorts laser sharp details "netgear dualband-N" sure we will have you fixed up in a jiffy.  You do understand there is what like 20+ different models that could be in the last couple of years..

So we now know you have a ford..  Not sure on the year or type yet..

If your having problems with your wifi, you might want to verify its actually a problem on some other devices other than some what made in china offbrand 79 knock off ??  Or the new ipad air 2??  These sorts of details make a difference!!!

Somehow when I typed in the model number, it got cut out... Its a wndr-3300 and the tablet is a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 and I'm on channel 9.

The app is called WiFi fixer.

I have verified the issue on the PCs and the android tablet and phone. On the PCs, suddenly they go to limited access, no Internet, sometimes the router doesn't show up in the list of available connections, and equally no connections are available, often just shutting off the Wi-Fi and turning it back on is sufficient.

"and I'm on channel 9"

Yeah that is pointless and just gets overlap from both sides..  Put your router on 1, 6 or 11 -- whichever one is less used.

"I have verified the issue" So now you have verified it in the last few minutes??:Before you were no sure.."I'm not sure about the PC's, and the Vita is mainly used at night, so I've never heard any complaints of dropped signal."

"sometimes the router doesn't show up in the list of available connections,"

If you have a router that goes offline for all your devices..  That really points to the router!!  Get a new one, borrow one to test with..  Or your saying every single wifi device you have shows NO available connections??  Come on dude really??

Well it's been almost 24 hours since I changed the wireless channel, and I've not had any disruption of service, so I'm going to say that perhaps that solved the problem!

depending could of been overlap.. As I was saying there are 3 2.4 channels to use 1, 6 and 11.  Use the one that has least amount of noise on it..  Using something like 2,3,4,5,7,8,9 or 10 is just going to get you overlap from more than one source.

Once you go to 5 there are many more channels to play with..  But 2.4 is very limited.