NBC launches investigation of [anchor] Brian Williams

Another MSM perpetuated lie from NBC's Brian Williams.

First it was his Stolen Valor lies, now his Katrina reports are coming under question.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/06/brian-williams-katrina-coverage-in-question/22980005/

NBC launches investigation of Brian Williams

NBC News confirmed Friday that it's investigating chief anchor Brian Williams over his now-retracted statement that he was in a helicopter in Iraq that was hit by enemy fire and forced to land.

"This has been a difficult few days for all of us at NBC News," NBC News President Deborah Turness said in a staff memo circulated Friday. "Yesterday, Brian and I spoke to the Nightly News team. And this morning at the Editorial Exchange, we both addressed the wider group. Brian apologized once again, and specifically expressed how sorry he is for the impact this has had on all of you and on this proud organization.

"As you would expect, we have a team dedicated to gathering the facts to help us make sense of all that has transpired. We're working on what the best next steps are

man it really sucks that i have a job and a life so i don't have the time to care about stuff like this.

Was sad earlier randomly reading some of the facebook comments on him. Really? these people have nothing better to concern themselves with?

I hate the mentality anymore. if someone says something you dont agree with, you try to shut them down? hmm

So what? NBC has no obligation to tell the truth. The news is nothing more than "infotainment", why does anyone care if it's suddenly more "tainment" and less "info"?

Guess what? News and entertainment are different divisions and there are 2 types of news programming: hard news and editorial.

Daytime is hard news, analysis & interviews (ex: Fox's Megyn Kelly, who gives all sides a hard time), and evenings are editorial - especially prime time. Most programming people don't like on MSNBC and Fox are in the editorial blocks, which should be no surprise.

On the evening broadcast news it's definitely NOT supposed to be editorial unless labeled as such (usually end segment), with the emphasis being hard news.

Williams, like Dan Rather and others before him, is catching heat because he violated that trust.

You do realize that Bob Becjel is a former Democrat campaign consultant and now Democrat media analyist for both Fox and USA Today?

Democrat my ass. DINO and you know it. Don't fool yourself.

So what? NBC has no obligation to tell the truth. The news is nothing more than "infotainment", why does anyone care if it's suddenly more "tainment" and less "info"?

It's unethical (not illegal) to present yourself stuff as "news" but it's white lies, or falsehoods. 

It's not under an obligation, but the fact enough of there audience, or NBC themselves care (or both), they decided to look in to it. 

He still may be a great newsreader, however... he's lost creditably as a reporter.

Guess you don't remember that Bob Beckel managed Walter Mondale's 1984 presidential campaign?

He may be a crusty curmudgeon of the Richard Daley Chicago Machine school, but a DINO he ain't.

Guess you don't remember that Bob Beckel managed Walter Mondale's 1984 presidential campaign?

He may be a crusty curmudgeon of the Richard Daley Chicago Machine school, but a DINO he ain't.

1984 we're not. So bull to that.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/brian-williams-take-leave-absence-nightly-news/137832

Brian Williams to Take Leave of Absence From 'Nightly News'

Brian Williams will take a leave of absence from the NBC Nightly News, the anchor said in a memo to staff on Saturday.

"As managing editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days," said Williams. Weekend anchor Lester Holt will fill in while Williams is out.

The move is the latest in what has been a growing controversy for the popular anchor since he admitted earlier this week that he inaccurately recalled a story from the Iraq war in 2003, in which he claimed he was on a helicopter shot at by ground fire.

Late Friday, NBC News president Deborah Turness confirmed an internal investigation into Williams' account of the story. Williams is also facing scrutiny about his account of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, reported the New Orleans Advocate.

Williams recently signed a new multiyear contract with NBC News.

Williams' full note is below:

In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.

My feelings exactly.

NYT columnist Maureen Dowd wrote that his fellow staffers have been talking about his self-aggrandizing for years, but the NBC brass did nothing about it until now.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/10/media/brian-williams-nbc-suspended/index.html

Brian Williams has been suspended for six months without pay following revelations that he exaggerated tales from an Iraq War mission in 2003.

NBC News president Deborah Turness informed staffers of the network's decision at a meeting shortly after Williams' fill-in, Lester Holt, finished anchoring Tuesday's "NBC Nightly News."

"The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately," Turness wrote. "We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News."

The announcement follows a morning meeting between Williams and the CEO of NBCUniversal, Steve Burke, at Burke's apartment.

Burke said in a statement on Tuesday night, "By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate."

Burke added, "Brian's life's work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone's trust."

For NBC News, the rolling calamity began last last month when Williams paid tribute on his newscast to a soldier who had provided security to the anchor and his NBC crew in the desert on that day in 2003.

>