Dopamine

You've probably gotten a request for this already at some point, but it would be cool of Dopamine could remember your position when you close/re-open it (e.g. remember the track that was last playing and keep that track/playlist selected when you re-open Dopamine) :)

Busy day again. These bugs have been fixed for the next build (unreleased, needs more testing):

29-08-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.340 (Preview)

- Fixed a bug in the playlist count
- Fixed a bug where clicking on the progress bar of the Nano player was not possible
- The Mini player playlist is now hidden from the ALT-TAB switcher
- Fixed the missing shadow/glow on the Micro and Nano Player playlists

You've probably gotten a request for this already at some point, but it would be cool of Dopamine could remember your position when you close/re-open it (e.g. remember the track that was last playing and keep that track/playlist selected when you re-open Dopamine) :)

Yes this has been asked before and is planned. Don't know when though.

• Like 2

Hallo Raphael, fantastic program! Few things I would wish to include: change/add metafiles on website - other programs find much more information about CD (e.g. see ITunes). Maybe it is possible to be able edit album info, add Artwork picture, etc. Many of my scanned CDs (~600) have not CD picture. In ITunes I can add manually, but I prefer Dopamine. Thank you in advance for consideration this matter. Regards  Wesley

Hallo Raphael, fantastic program! Few things I would wish to include: change/add metafiles on website - other programs find much more information about CD (e.g. see ITunes). Maybe it is possible to be able edit album info, add Artwork picture, etc. Many of my scanned CDs (~600) have not CD picture. In ITunes I can add manually, but I prefer Dopamine. Thank you in advance for consideration this matter. Regards  Wesley

That's all planned in a pretty near future. I'm working on rating and tagging (that includes adding cover pictures).

I just installed the latest build and the software refuse to load. The splash screen comes up then just disappears??

Could you check or send me the logfile? It's under %appdata%\dopamine\log. Hopefully this tells us what is going on.

First off, love it. Been a long time since I've had a Windows music player I liked.

I agree, it would be great to get a way to edit some of the metadata, even if its just saved locally in it's own DB. Likewise I'd like to be able to see some of the metadata too.

Second, I'd love to have a way to sort the Albums by Artist. I know you can click for a single specific artist along the side, but I mean a more over all way, to browse what I have in a way that makes more sense to me. This applied to both the Artist and Album tabs.

Third, it would be nice if there was a fast way to get to a letter from the Artists pane. Maybe right click on one of the teardrops and select a letter from a menu, or left/right click on 'artists' to bring up a menu?

Anyway, very impressed, I'm using it more and more :)

First off, love it. Been a long time since I've had a Windows music player I liked.

I agree, it would be great to get a way to edit some of the metadata, even if its just saved locally in it's own DB. Likewise I'd like to be able to see some of the metadata too.

Second, I'd love to have a way to sort the Albums by Artist. I know you can click for a single specific artist along the side, but I mean a more over all way, to browse what I have in a way that makes more sense to me. This applied to both the Artist and Album tabs.

Third, it would be nice if there was a fast way to get to a letter from the Artists pane. Maybe right click on one of the teardrops and select a letter from a menu, or left/right click on 'artists' to bring up a menu?

Anyway, very impressed, I'm using it more and more :)

Thank you for liking it. You'll be happy to know that all these features are actually planned. Next in line are: rating, tagging, file information window (showfile format, encoding, bitrate, sample rate,...)

Just a note, the Download link on the page could be more visible, maybe an image like 

dopamine_download.png

Done! (check it out :)) I've used your button, I like the fact that it's an extension of the Dopamine logo.

Edit:

download dopamine.png

Edited by Raphaël G.

Not bad, but I would have just used the icon with the download arrow that you use in Dopamine to indicate a new build is available.

Yep, sounds like a good idea. Let's keep the designs the same. I'll check it out tonight.

Meanwhile, I have no new build for you yet, but here is an update on what has already been done:

- Fixed a bug in the playlist count
- Fixed a bug where clicking on the progress bar of the Nano player was not possible
- The Mini player playlist is now hidden from the ALT-TAB switcher
- Fixed the missing shadow/glow on the Micro and Nano Player playlists
- Made the Mini player playlists a bit more transparent for Windows 10 (due to blur), and a bit less for Windows 7 and 8 (no blur).
- The list of albums can now also be sorted by album artist
- Added a file information dialog

Hello Raphael.

As another pleasant option would be possibility to print list of library in sort of Albums, Songs, Performer/Composer, etc. Entire library and/or Playlists.

Thank you

Wesley

Hi Wesley. I'm afraid I don't fully understand your request. Could you tell me more about it?

I could be wrong but he was trying to say that he would like for you to add a print option so he could click on print button so the data is sent to the printer to be printed..

Just wait and see when he comes back to explain some more.

Small-ish bugs to report:

• When restoring the window from maximized, the window moves to the primary screen if it was on the secondary screen. If I drag the window while maximized to restore it, the window will briefly flash on the primary screen but will then restore properly on the secondary screen.
  • When restoring the window by dragging on the primary screen, it'll snap to what I assume is a pre-defined position (~100px from the top left of the screen) before jumping to the position it was in previously.

Feature request:

• Multi-column sorting in the Songs panel. At the moment if I sort by album artist, songs from the same album aren't sorted together. I'd be great to be able to, for example, sort by album artist alphabetically and sort the albums by year.
  • 'Jump to first entry' keyboard shortcut in the Songs panel.

Is there a better place to send these? I know I hate having to comb through forums for bug report when I'm developing so I thought I would ask.

Looking forward to being able to sort albums by album artist! Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the bug report and suggestions. There are several ways to contact me for this (however here is fine too, I always keep an eye on this topic):

"Ask me anything" on my blog: http://raphaelgodart.tumblr.com

Send me an e-mail: raphael.developer@outlook.com

This topic

Any of the above ways are fine to send me those. As soon as I get bug reports or requests, I log them in my code and Work item (bugs and tasks) tracker. The disadvantage is that you cannot see the work items or follow their progress. I've been looking for a public work item tracker like github, but which would allow me to share work items with you, without having to make my project open source. While I'm all for sharing bits and pieces, I'm not yet ready to see my baby leading its own life and getting forked. So if any of you has any idea for this, it's very welcome.

Edit: the quoting system is really messed up since the forum upgrade. I'm never quite sure what will be quoted.

Hi Wesley. I'm afraid I don't fully understand your request. Could you tell me more about it?

Hi Raphael,

I am thinking to have possible to have hard copy collection of my music. It could be list of albums CD with (or not) details about Artists, List of songs, CD Cover, etc. Similar as in ITunes. Maybe prints Playlists?

Regards

Wesley

I could be wrong but he was trying to say that he would like for you to add a print option so he could click on print button so the data is sent to the printer to be printed..

Just wait and see when he comes back to explain some more.

It's exactly what I mean.

Cheers

Wesley

Hey Raphael,

Ran into a problem. So, my work laptop was shut down improperly by the security people, and they yanked my drive out (Literally yanked it out).

Dopamine is no longer present on my drive. The executables are gone, they don't exist. Have you had any of these issues presented before? I ended up overwriting all the files, and re-downloading it.

Hi Raphael

Just to confirm, the Updates section (check for updates) etc, doesn't work, right? On both my desktop and SP3, I've got them all toggled but nothing ever downloads/updates. Do I need to do something else?

Rather frankly, the whole not picking up on media keyboard keys (pause, next, etc) in applications with the focus is a bit of a deal killer a lot of the time.

Also, I have run into problems stated above where Dope just up and disappears. I haven't been able to replicate it.

Hi Raphael, it's great to see you still so active with this and it's coming along very nicely. I've got a couple of requests, one which is from a while back..

Would it be possible for the Artists view to be the Album Artists, or at least for it to be an option? I would still really love to see Genre as a main header option too.

The next request is more of a slight scaling issue for me. I know you said it was too hard to implement moveable panels as Zune can but I find the scale for the song panel to be way to large which reduces the amount of albums that can be displayed and leaves a fair bit of dead/wasted space. Do you think it would be possible to reduce the scaling when increasing the window as when the player is at it's smallest width it's perfect. I'm using a 24" 1920x1200 monitor so I wonder if this is ever worse when using a higher resolution? Here's some examples:

dope3.thumb.JPG.671fd63273a37b3ebde80cf4

dope1.thumb.JPG.f3863cd133e6706ca11c1532

dope2.thumb.JPG.5ea727b15d61b1da82c9d1a2

Now compared to Zune:

zune.thumb.JPG.fa83863d2d0b902847dd6cbc6

I hope this is possible. Cheers! :)