Dopamine

On 7/16/2016 at 3:13 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Genuine question, as I have no experience with open sourcing my own software: you think it's not a good idea?

Multiple reasons lead to this decision:

- Dopamine has gone out of control. I'm getting more feature requests (quite good ones) than I can handle + I got several developers offering their help

- I want to learn and improve my code. Some structures that I spend quite some time to figure out, could use some improvements. Maybe in the future, I won't have to spent so much time figuring out stuff, if there's 3rd party help

- I needed a tool to make bug and feature request tracking public. GitHub is the ideal place for that. By the way, I changed the GitHub link; https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine

However, there is also a downside: I don't want my project to lead its own life. Someone grabbing my code and releasing its own version is one of my biggest fears. I guess I'll have to find out the hard way.

1. Lots of ways to do issue tracking without using GitHub and going open source - not saying there is anything wrong with your decision....

2. You have no control really. You just have to think of forks as a good thing. Like your software is making babies! And if anyone goes the fork route and does something useful, then it becomes available to you to merge as you wish.

3. From many years of observing OSS projects, the most surprising and common result you will see is no result. In just about every way a OSS project has to market itself similar to a commercial product to get developer interest. The number of OSS projects on GitHUb is beyond human understanding at this point. The noise level is high. Simple things like good docs on your Github page, screenshots etc. Time spent on documentation you would rather spend coding until it is up to speed, Promote it everywhere etc and eventually people get enthusiastic and start helping. Make even the smallest update frequently since many people search by update date. Good Luck. I haven't achieved your courage yet to try this but I maintain a useful (I think it is anyways) list of UWP projects at:

https://github.com/10UWP/The-UWP-Tools-List

• Like 3

On 7/16/2016 at 3:13 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Some structures that I spend quite some time to figure out, could use some improvements. Maybe in the future, I won't have to spent so much time figuring out stuff, if there's 3rd party help

Perhaps make GitHub issues for these with a special Label?

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, DevTech said:

1. Lots of ways to do issue tracking without using GitHub and going open source - not saying there is anything wrong with your decision....

2. You have no control really. You just have to think of forks as a good thing. Like your software is making babies! And if anyone goes the fork route and does something useful, then it becomes available to you to merge as you wish.

3. From many years of observing OSS projects, the most surprising and common result you will see is no result. In just about every way a OSS project has to market itself similar to a commercial product to get developer interest. The number of OSS projects on GitHUb is beyond human understanding at this point. The noise level is high. Simple things like good docs on your Github page, screenshots etc. Time spent on documentation you would rather spend coding until it is up to speed, Promote it everywhere etc and eventually people get enthusiastic and start helping. Make even the smallest update frequently since many people search by update date. Good Luck. I haven't achieved your courage yet to try this but I maintain a useful (I think it is anyways) list of UWP projects at:

https://github.com/10UWP/The-UWP-Tools-List

That's an amazing list you're maintaining! Some of those tools will come in handy. Thanks for sharing. In preparation of making the Dopamine code public, I put up the code of my small WPF controls library (on which my software, including Dopamine is based) here: https://github.com/digimezzo/WPFControls. It's nothing revolutionary, but as I'm making all my code public, I thought it would be a good to also have this one online.

Your feedback on OSS projects is valuable info. Luckily, I'm not looking for popularity :) If people want to help out, that's great. If not, then I'll proceed like I was doing when the source was not public. Which is also fine :).

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, DevTech said:

Perhaps make GitHub issues for these with a special Label?

Indeed, that's what I had in mind. The GitHub issue tracker is quite efficient. I'm starting to like this thing a lot.

By the way (and this is for everyone), if you want to get an idea of what to expect in the next version, check this out: Dopamine 1.1 issues

The "Milestones" menu on that page allows you to filter on the next versions and see what features I currently plan.

For 1.1 I'm planning smaller features. I've been doing lots of spring cleaning in the code and want to keep the next update small. After that one, I'll tackle bigger changes.

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, Fiere said:

Some suggestion for the notif. area.

mrarR3x.png

Sorry for the late reply. Nice mock up! I created Issue #61 for that: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/61

It might be a bit large for the notification area controls (that's my first idea, that might still grow and change). But I do like the option to have and option to show a list of playing songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've switched back to Windows from OSX at home, and am now using Dopamine more than before with a different library than the work laptop. Couple of problems ....

# Albums which are tagged with the correct Artist, but have a blank Album Artist, don't show up under that Artist but instead under an Artist called 'Unknown Album Artist'.

# Attempted to edit the ID3 tags and worked fine if I select a single album. However, correcting this by adding the Album Artist tag per album is time consuming. If I have multiple albums by the same artist, and then select all the songs ... then edit, the ID3 tags shows 'Multiple Values'. If I just edit the Album Artist field and save, it overwrites the tag of the album with the name 'Multiple Values'. I would assume if the entry is Multiple Values it should not be overwritten unless you specifically enter text in the field. 

Thankfully I noticed this before much damage was done. ;)

On 8/2/2016 at 7:28 AM, jasondefaoite said:

I've switched back to Windows from OSX at home, and am now using Dopamine more than before with a different library than the work laptop. Couple of problems ....

# Albums which are tagged with the correct Artist, but have a blank Album Artist, don't show up under that Artist but instead under an Artist called 'Unknown Album Artist'.

# Attempted to edit the ID3 tags and worked fine if I select a single album. However, correcting this by adding the Album Artist tag per album is time consuming. If I have multiple albums by the same artist, and then select all the songs ... then edit, the ID3 tags shows 'Multiple Values'. If I just edit the Album Artist field and save, it overwrites the tag of the album with the name 'Multiple Values'. I would assume if the entry is Multiple Values it should not be overwritten unless you specifically enter text in the field. 

Thankfully I noticed this before much damage was done. ;)

Glad to have you back! :) 

For the first issue: it's a hard one. At some point I decided that an album is defined by "Album artist" and "Album title". I'm not aware of a better way to define an album based on just the audio file's tags. I'v eopened an issue concerning this logic here: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/31

I couldn't make up how other players do it. For your issue, the problem is that Artists are tagged at track level, not album level. Should I create an album in Dopamine for each Artist that is found in files? That is why I decided, for now, that IF there is no Album artist in the tags, that that file is added to and album with album artist "unknown album artist".

Ideas are welcome. I added a tag "Help wanted" to the issue above.

For the second issue: that is indeed a nasty bug, which was reported to me by someone else last monday. I've created this issue: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/84

The bug is fixed in the latest code on GitHub. I will release a Preview containing that and other fixes soon.

• Like 1

Good to be back :rofl:

For the 2nd issue, great to hear a fix will be available.

For the first issue, I guess defining by 'Album Artist' first is the correct way to go, as if people enter text in this field it is usually to override the content in the 'Artist' field. However, what if the 'Album Artist' field is blank? In this case I think it would make sense to defer to the 'Artist' tag. Not sure if you could implement a check for this and sort by appropriate. It may require you to have an additional 'Artist Sort' value, determined from 'Album Artist' or if that is blank, from the 'Artist' field.

Cheers, and good look with the win 10 universal app :)

Hi everyone! A new preview of Dopamine is available! You can get 1.1 Build 672 here

This is the first preview of version 1.1. More changes will be come for this version. This preview is more a bugfixing build. I also updated all the components I used to their latest version. As since the start of development on Dopamine, I never updated them (to prevent breaking things). Watch out for the version of the .NET framework. It was upgraded from 4.5.1 to 4.6.1.

From this build on, Dopamine is open source software. The source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine

On the issues page your are able to log issues yourself if you have a GitHub account. You can also track open issues and for some you can verify in which version they'll be added.

3-08-2017: Dopamine 1.1.672.0 (Preview)

- Dopamine is now Open Source Software! The source code is available here: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine
- This version requires .NET Framework 4.6.1
- Updated to the latest release of the CSCore audio library
- Added importing of .wpl playlists
- Fixed a bug importing .m3u playlists
- Fixed a bug importing .zpl playlists
- Fixed a bug updating the collection when a new collection folder is added just after removing another
- Fixed a bug showing genres on the Genres screen when one or more songs have a white space as genre (needs refresh of collection to apply the fix)
- Fixed a bug updating album metadata
- Added information to the WASAPI Exclusive Mode setting that it mutes sounds from other applications
- Added Italian translation
- Added Polish translation
- Added Ukrainian translation
- Updated Russian translation

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A new build of Dopamine is available: 1.1 build 680 Preview. This preview adds the long awaited equalizer. It's very new code, so if you notice anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me.

This is the changelog:

- Fixed an indexing issue where files, which are removed in Windows, were not removed from the collection.
- Fixed cut off album art on lower left playback information on the main screen
- Fixed dialogs showing a 1px bottom border at some resolutions
- Added an Equalizer

With the equalizer, most of the work for the final 1.1 release is done. The remaining work items can be found here.

Download this new preview here.

15 hours ago, Ravensky said:

Great work thank you!

Thanks. By the way, there is a bug where the equalizer doesn't remain enabled, details in Issue 113.

It's already fixed in code, and will be in the next build.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ravensky said:

Yeah I noticed that...update soon please =)

I'll release a small update tonight :) 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2016 at 10:08 AM, Raphaël G. said:

Hi everyone,

A new build of Dopamine is available: 1.1 build 680 Preview. This preview adds the long awaited equalizer. It's very new code, so if you notice anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me.

This is the changelog:

- Fixed an indexing issue where files, which are removed in Windows, were not removed from the collection.
- Fixed cut off album art on lower left playback information on the main screen
- Fixed dialogs showing a 1px bottom border at some resolutions
- Added an Equalizer

With the equalizer, most of the work for the final 1.1 release is done. The remaining work items can be found here.

Download this new preview here.

Thanks for the new release, Raphaël!
I'll send you an updated Castilian Spanish translation as soon as I can (probably this week).

By the way, even though my friends believe I'm out of my mind :rofl:, I grabbed a Lumia 950 last week and I was wondering if a prospective UWP app is planned for W10 Mobile :blush:

Cheers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jackaluichi said:

Thanks for the new release, Raphaël!
I'll send you an updated Castilian Spanish translation as soon as I can (probably this week).

By the way, even though my friends believe I'm out of my mind :rofl:, I grabbed a Lumia 950 last week and I was wondering if a prospective UWP app is planned for W10 Mobile :blush:

Cheers!

Yes an UWP app is planned (and in development). Dopamine win32 has grabbed a lot of my time again lately, so UWP development has been on hold. But I'll soon pick it up. I'm changing database management in Dopamine win32 which I'll reuse in the UWP app. So it's not wasted development time.

Well, I did something similar a few weeks ago: I got myself a Lumia 650 :). Awesome device for that price.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Yes an UWP app is planned (and in development). Dopamine win32 has grabbed a lot of my time again lately, so UWP development has been on hold. But I'll soon pick it up. I'm changing database management in Dopamine win32 which I'll reuse in the UWP app. So it's not wasted development time.

Well, I did something similar a few weeks ago: I got myself a Lumia 650 :). Awesome device for that price.

Great to hear about both, the UWP Dopamine development and your new acquisition! :D

Looking forward to future updates on this matter :)

Has anyone experience this.

When I have Dopamine playing music no other Audio plays on my computer, that includes YouTube videos.

The only way I can get YouTube audio is to kill both the browser and Dopamine.

I get the same results on FF,Chrome and Edge.

2 hours ago, wetworker said:

When I have Dopamine playing music no other Audio plays on my computer, that includes YouTube videos.

I don't have that issue, mate. Dopamine preview v1.1 (Build 681) on Windows 10 x64 14393.82 using a Sound Blaster Z and Firefox. I get Windows notification sounds, YouTube videos and whatnot as I'm listening to music on Dopamine :)

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:45 AM, Raphaël G. said:

A new build is available! :)

Info and download here.

2 hours ago, wetworker said:

I do not have this issue either, I hear sound from everything that is playing sound all at the same time, working great as it should.  Using Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe on Windows 10 x64 Pro Edition