Dopamine

Actually, after looking at those images I don't see why the two outer panels can't be a constant fixed width?

Forget that, lower scaling is still the better option. :) Dopamine also has the added benefit of showing the full track name on mouse over anyway so it's less of an issue if a track name is cut off.

Edited by dakn

It's exactly what I mean.

Cheers

Wesley

Ok understood. I'll log a feature request. Very low priority though.

Rather frankly, the whole not picking up on media keyboard keys (pause, next, etc) in applications with the focus is a bit of a deal killer a lot of the time.

Also, I have run into problems stated above where Dope just up and disappears. I haven't been able to replicate it.

If I knew what causes this, it would have been fixed months ago. But rather frankly, I have no idea at this point.

What do you mean that it just dissapears? Does the icon dissapear in the start menu? (this issue should have been fixed with the last build, because I'm using a more correct way of adding an icon to the start menu). Or does it uninstall itself after some time? (I'd find this hard to believe, it's a standard MSI installer, their installations don't just dissapear).

Hey Raphael,

Ran into a problem. So, my work laptop was shut down improperly by the security people, and they yanked my drive out (Literally yanked it out).

Dopamine is no longer present on my drive. The executables are gone, they don't exist. Have you had any of these issues presented before? I ended up overwriting all the files, and re-downloading it.

Did the executables dissapear from program files? Was the uninstall option also gone in control panel -> add/remove programs? I never encountered this. The MSI installer of Dopamine is a standard MSI installer like other MSI installed programs are using. The files shouldn't dissapear by themselves.

Hi Raphael, it's great to see you still so active with this and it's coming along very nicely. I've got a couple of requests, one which is from a while back..

Would it be possible for the Artists view to be the Album Artists, or at least for it to be an option? I would still really love to see Genre as a main header option too.

The next request is more of a slight scaling issue for me. I know you said it was too hard to implement moveable panels as Zune can but I find the scale for the song panel to be way to large which reduces the amount of albums that can be displayed and leaves a fair bit of dead/wasted space. Do you think it would be possible to reduce the scaling when increasing the window as when the player is at it's smallest width it's perfect. I'm using a 24" 1920x1200 monitor so I wonder if this is ever worse when using a higher resolution? Here's some examples:

A listing of album artists and genre has been planned for a long time. Please check the list of upcoming features on my blog. Unfortunately I can only code this in my spare time (Dopamine doesn't pay my bills) and progress isn't as fast as I even would want it. So features get in there one at a time... Also, you'll notice some features make it quicker than others. That might raise some eyebrows as my choice might not seem logical from a user's standpoint. The features I choose to implement are chosen in function of the amount of time that I have and the amount of rewriting they require. A very simple feature can cause me quite some headaches.

Ok understood. I'll log a feature request. Very low priority though.

It's exactly what I mean.

Cheers

Wesley

That's what I thought. But can you do that in the file explorer and print the list from there, wherever the songs are stored?

I can't test it because I have no printer here. I quit using printer about 10 years ago.

That's what I thought. But can you do that in the file explorer and print the list from there, wherever the songs are stored?

I can't test it because I have no printer here. I quit using printer about 10 years ago.

No idea. And, printers are evil :)

Hi Raphael

Just to confirm, the Updates section (check for updates) etc, doesn't work, right? On both my desktop and SP3, I've got them all toggled but nothing ever downloads/updates. Do I need to do something else?

Are you sure you're not seeing this download arrow?

and the tooltip with the version info when you hover over it?

I can't reproduce it here, the updates check sees to work fine. Anyway, I haven't changed the way it works for a long time.

Edit: can you send me your logfile? If update check fails, it logs it.

updates 1.png

updates 2.png

I noticed the same thing last week, but was busy and didn't have time to reply in here. Notifications for a new build didn't work for me. I was on 336, and when 338 was released I couldn't get the 336 build to show an update was available. Checked settings and they were correct. Manually downloaded and installed. 

Edit: Ok correction, I've looked through the logs. I was trying to update from 325 to 338. The log shows "could not process downloaded files. Exception: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" The file in use was 1.0.0.338-Preview.part. Now I don't know if this error was logged due to the manual install (I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure as I wasn't paying attention to the time. But definitely no notification of an update was shown in the build running 325.

I'll keep an eye on this when the next build is available post 338 to see if I get notified. Cheers.

Edited by jasondefaoite

Did the executables dissapear from program files? Was the uninstall option also gone in control panel -> add/remove programs? I never encountered this. The MSI installer of Dopamine is a standard MSI installer like other MSI installed programs are using. The files shouldn't dissapear by themselves.

I use a portable version, not allowed to install anything to my work laptop.

I noticed the same thing last week, but was busy and didn't have time to reply in here. Notifications for a new build didn't work for me. I was on 336, and when 338 was released I couldn't get the 336 build to show an update was available. Checked settings and they were correct. Manually downloaded and installed. 

Edit: Ok correction, I've looked through the logs. I was trying to update from 325 to 338. The log shows "could not process downloaded files. Exception: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" The file in use was 1.0.0.338-Preview.part. Now I don't know if this error was logged due to the manual install (I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure as I wasn't paying attention to the time. But definitely no notification of an update was shown in the build running 325.

I'll keep an eye on this when the next build is available post 338 to see if I get notified. Cheers.

That is helpful info! I wonder if an anti-virus can keep a new file locked for example. In any case, when that happens, I'll make sure this error is still logged, but that it doesn't block the notification of a new version.

That is helpful info! I wonder if an anti-virus can keep a new file locked for example. In any case, when that happens, I'll make sure this error is still logged, but that it doesn't block the notification of a new version.

Have you thought about asking for UAC permissions? I know when I use Dopamine at work, I have to run it as Administrator, otherwise it doesn't run. It's specifically tied to synapse.exe and dopamine.exe. At home, I don't have too.

Have you thought about asking for UAC permissions? I know when I use Dopamine at work, I have to run it as Administrator, otherwise it doesn't run. It's specifically tied to synapse.exe and dopamine.exe. At home, I don't have too.

I wonder why that is needed. Is your music stored in a path that is only accessible by an administrator?

A listing of album artists and genre has been planned for a long time. Please check the list of upcoming features on my blog. Unfortunately I can only code this in my spare time (Dopamine doesn't pay my bills) and progress isn't as fast as I even would want it. So features get in there one at a time... Also, you'll notice some features make it quicker than others. That might raise some eyebrows as my choice might not seem logical from a user's standpoint. The features I choose to implement are chosen in function of the amount of time that I have and the amount of rewriting they require. A very simple feature can cause me quite some headaches.

Totally understood and appreciated mate. Just thought I would mention them again and didn't know if you felt the same regarding the scaling issue and whether it was a simple adjustment.

Alright, I've made the update check much more robust and it logs even more. Also when a download fails or a file is locked, you'll still get notified there is a new build. Thanks for reporting this.

• Like 1

I wonder why that is needed. Is your music stored in a path that is only accessible by an administrator?

USBs required administrative privileges to run. Due to the nature of my work. It's something we implemented due to someone plugging in a USB that had viruses on it. :( That was fun, full network Audit and lock down. :(

Hi all,

A new Dopamine build is available. This is the changelog:

6-09-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.356 (Preview)

- Fixed a bug in the playlist count
- Fixed a bug where clicking on the progress bar of the Nano player was not possible
- The Mini player playlist is now hidden from the ALT-TAB switcher
- Fixed the missing shadow/glow on the Micro and Nano Player playlists
- Made the Mini player playlists a bit more transparent for Windows 10 (due to blur), and a bit less for Windows 7 and 8 (no blur).
- The list of albums can now also be sorted by album artist
- Added a file information dialog
- Fixed issues with the update check
- Pressing Ctrl+L opens the folder containing the log file
- Added a notification when songs are added to a playlist

Download here

I'm seeing a small issue with the library search/filtering:

If I search my library for 'The Who', I get results for 'The Who' and 'The Guess Who', as expected.

However, if I click on the 'The Who' from the Artists sidebar, an album from 'The Guess Who' is included with 'The Who' Albums. (and I've checked the tags for the guess who album, it's not mistagged as 'The Who' or anything, it has both Artist and Album Artist as 'The Guess Who').

If I click on the Result for the Guess who album it shows no results on the songs column. If I click on 'The Guess Who' from the artists album, and then click on the guess who album, the songs are populated in the songs column:

Here's some screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/uZ2gQ5m.png

http://i.imgur.com/z2YDYU8.png

http://i.imgur.com/3RedbdA.png

This is with the latest 338 preview build, not sure if it happened in prior builds or not (I just noticed it now).

EDIT: it happens in reverse too, e.g. if I click on 'the guess who' from the artists column, the who albums are there. The screenshots should make it pretty clear :)

I'm seeing a small issue with the library search/filtering:

If I search my library for 'The Who', I get results for 'The Who' and 'The Guess Who', as expected.

However, if I click on the 'The Who' from the Artists sidebar, an album from 'The Guess Who' is included with 'The Who' Albums. (and I've checked the tags for the guess who album, it's not mistagged as 'The Who' or anything, it has both Artist and Album Artist as 'The Guess Who').

If I click on the Result for the Guess who album it shows no results on the songs column. If I click on 'The Guess Who' from the artists album, and then click on the guess who album, the songs are populated in the songs column:

Here's some screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/uZ2gQ5m.png

http://i.imgur.com/z2YDYU8.png

http://i.imgur.com/3RedbdA.png

This is with the latest 338 preview build, not sure if it happened in prior builds or not (I just noticed it now).

EDIT: it happens in reverse too, e.g. if I click on 'the guess who' from the artists column, the who albums are there. The screenshots should make it pretty clear :)

Thanks for reporting. I'll check this out.

I've just had a crash, now this isn't the first time it has crashed listening to this album but it certainly doesn't crash every time either however I'm 99% certain it only happens when I do listen to this album(Jessica Curry - Everybody's gone to the Rapture).

Crash happened at 08/08/2015 11:51:37

Drop box link with log file and also the application event viewer errors. I couldn't see anything obvious in the logs but then I don't know what I'm looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3444zw5zwkawax3/Dopamine.zip?dl=0

Listening to album of MP3's, seemed to crash somewhere around track 10 as it finished and moved to 11.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for reporting. I'll check this out.

Bug found and fixed for the next build. Thanks again!

Edit: ok, this was meant for ViperAFK. The quoting system fails again.

I've just had a crash, now this isn't the first time it has crashed listening to this album but it certainly doesn't crash every time either however I'm 99% certain it only happens when I do listen to this album(Jessica Curry - Everybody's gone to the Rapture).

Crash happened at 08/08/2015 11:51:37

Drop box link with log file and also the application event viewer errors. I couldn't see anything obvious in the logs but then I don't know what I'm looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3444zw5zwkawax3/Dopamine.zip?dl=0

Listening to album of MP3's, seemed to crash somewhere around track 10 as it finished and moved to 11.

Let me know if you need anything else.

I guess you meant 08/09/2015 :) There is indeed nothing to see in the log, which usually means it's an external component that crashed. In this case I'm guessing the dll from the audio library. But to confirm that, we'd need to pinpoint the mp3 file which causes the crash and be able to reproduce it. So if it happens again, don't hesitate to let me know. In that case I'll ask you to send me the mp3 file in question.

I guess you meant 08/09/2015 :) There is indeed nothing to see in the log, which usually means it's an external component that crashed. In this case I'm guessing the dll from the audio library. But to confirm that, we'd need to pinpoint the mp3 file which causes the crash and be able to reproduce it. So if it happens again, don't hesitate to let me know. In that case I'll ask you to send me the mp3 file in question.

I did indeed!

I'm listening to this album nearly everyday at the moment so as soon as it does I'll let you know. It seems like there is some sort of contributing factor as from memory the times it's happened in the past it always seems to be as its about to start playing the next track.

Hey guys, I felt like doing a quick bugfix release. I introduced a nasty crash in the update check in the previous build. This is the changelog for today's build:

8-09-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.360 (Preview)

- Fixed a bug where the mini player playlist is empty when starting in mini player mode
- Double clicking the notification shows the main window
- Fixed a crash caused by the update check when it is not possible to connect to the internet
- Fixed a bug in the album results when using the search and selecting an Artist