Problems with 2015 Random Funny Pictures Thread

Why does the 2015 Random Funny Pictures Thread cause Chrome to grind to a halt, use far too much CPU and RAM?

It's only just started happening these past few weeks, and only on that thread. Gifs are so slow its like looking at a frame every 10secs.

When you scroll up it just goes white and grey checker board and then slowly renders.

Why does the 2015 Random Funny Pictures Thread cause Chrome to grind to a halt, use far too much CPU and RAM?

It's only just started happening these past few weeks, and only on that thread. Gifs are so slow its like looking at a frame every 10secs.

When you scroll up it just goes white and grey checker board and then slowly renders.

I've always said GIFs should have their own topic.

To be able to "open" an image to be able to save it in Chrome for Android (to send it to others, which is often what I use the topic for), you need to wait for the page to completely finish loading but when I'm on 3G and the page is full of GIFs, that could (and often does) take 20 or more seconds.

Frustrating.

Random Funny Pictures Thread.

I don't experience any problems at all with loading on IE, but I've always thought there should be 2 separate pages, one for pictures, one for animated images.

No issues with Internet Explorer.

Anyway, move on guys. A GIF is still a picture, it's just moving. The issue is your browser, not the image.

No, not move on.

The issue I mentioned above is a genuinely annoying one.

• Like 2

- Firefox has known issues with playing GIFs.

- IE keeps up perfectly smooth and does not suffer from issues.

- Chrome do also have some issues but not as severe and wide range as Firefox:

Enable Impl-Side Painting from chrome://flags, its default enabled in M42 (if not wrong) to counter it little.

Enable Impl-Side Painting from chrome://flags, its default enabled in M42 (if not wrong) to counter it little.

That helps a little.

Maybe the gif issue is why sites like 9gag use MP4 videos instead of gifs.

Also Studio384, just because IE plays gifs slightly better, not going to switch from Chrome or move on.

Can't they just create another topic devoted to random gifs and keep pictures clean of these?

no.  because the image sites that post them are usually is a collection of jpgs and gifs together.  i enjoy sharing the ones i like with neowin crowd.

running two threads is an extra effort for posters like me.   also it is nice to have all the funny/cool images in one place.

gifs are still pictures and not videos. with only few complainers, its not worth it, in my opinion

• Like 3

Please don't damage the Picture Thread more than it already is. If you having problems consider using add-ons like this.

But last time I tried to search something like this for Chrome and its derivatives, I failed in it.

What might be an idea is on the server end, grab the first frame of the gif, and serve that up as a static image / link to download the full gif.

Good idea! Like they do on 9gag.

Any thread that contains mb's of images in one page is going to cause some browser slow downs. I think it has been worse with previous Chrome versions and there are tons of reports about gif issues with Chrome that seem to be getting better with each new version. When I open the thread (or the naughty one in Subscriber area :p) I simply wait until everything has stopped loading.

The other issue is that many of the images are hosted externally (or hotlinked) so the load times also depend on the external server(s). There's an option to load only thumbnails in IPB but I think it still downloads the full image upon page load, and it wasn't a popular format when we enabled it years ago.

Whatever I found, I tried and I also tried that one as well. Tried modified one such as this from GitHub as well. Tried Userscripts a well. Its not that I didn't find something similar, its like I didn't find something which works like Firefox one.

Whatever I found, I tried and I also tried that one as well. Tried modified one such as this from GitHub as well. Tried Userscripts a well. Its not that I didn't find something similar, its like I didn't find something which works like Firefox one.

Well then, switch to Firefox as the extensions like that actually work.

I use IE 11.0.15, Chromium 42.0.2299.0 and Firefox Nightly 38 and any other Beta/Alpha browser and I doesn't require GIF Pause functionality for myself. I just wanted to help here.  :)

Chrome has many bugs on GIF issues but one of the recent - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=430940

EDIT:

Please try this extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gif-delayer/cmfcdkambpljcndgdmaccaagladfnepa

As per review, it seems to working though I am unable to test myself, since Chrome Web Store isn't letting me install it.

This is what I do for that thread (using Firefox)...

-open up the thread

-it takes time and loads

-wait 10 seconds or whatever or do something else

-come back, it's loaded

-open next page in new tab (middle click) so it loads while you're browsing current page

-once you're done the next page will be loaded

-once moved onto the next page, open the next page in new tab

Keep the vicious cycle going and you shouldn't have to wait. :D

• Like 1

I use IE 11.0.15, Chromium 42.0.2299.0 and Firefox Nightly 38 and any other Beta/Alpha browser and I doesn't require GIF Pause functionality for myself. I just wanted to help here.  :)

Chrome has many bugs on GIF issues but one of the recent - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=430940

EDIT:

Please try this extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gif-delayer/cmfcdkambpljcndgdmaccaagladfnepa

As per review, it seems to working though I am unable to test myself, since Chrome Web Store isn't letting me install it.

I don't need it either. I was just trying to give solutions to some members problems without the need of the splitting the threads.

Two Solutions for Chrome Web Browser on GIF Issue:

First

- Enable Impl Side Painting from using following link:

chrome://flags/#impl-side-painting

It will be default enabled in Version 42, meantime its temporary solution to make GIF loading little better.

Second

- Use "GIF Delayer" addon, which improve situation little better and only working addon, I could find.

Extension URL - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gif-delayer/cmfcdkambpljcndgdmaccaagladfnepa

Working Picture below:

SfuIsCW.png

Yeah I'm going to switch browsers so I can view one thread in one forum. In case you didn't notice that's sarcasm